Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE on NS3 filter/FT950 install...  (Read 1594 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:25:35 AM »

Hello all, I have discussed things with AC0C - Jeff, and I am sending my rig to him to try the install. He said he's pretty sure it will work electronically, but the physical fit is the question. If it will fit, he will do the install & alignment, photograph the procedure and post it on his website.

He said  he's been asked many times if the filter will fit in a FT950, but so far, no one has been willing to pull the cover off their rigs and take measurments, so I decided to be the guinea pig...hihi. If someone else is interested in doing this, check AC0C's website in a couple months, and the procedure may be on there if it works.

73, Todd - KT0DD
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »

Way cool, I hope it fits you will see great results removing crud from IMD, splatter and such.  Also, play with the IF shift and the narrow roofing filter selected.  The IF shift is suddenly more useful removing any residual noise from very close signals not completely out of the 2.7khz passband. 

Gud luck,

Greg
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »

Apparently, Yaesu corrected the FT-2000 flaw when they designed the FT-950. Or at least that is what Charlie M5VIN said in some of these findings. I too am curious as why they are doing it. At first, I figured "why would they want to improve something that was already improved?" But then I thought, "Maybe to improve it further".

So I am guessing that they want to see if it does work on the FT-950 and improve the filter. The only thing they got going against them is that the current cost on the FT-2000 mod is $300. But that is with big improvements. That same improvement has to be shown in the FT-950, in order to justify the cost. If it is marginal or little improvement, I would assume that it is not worth it.

OK, curiousity now has me, and I want to see the result.
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »

I had the Mu-tune 80/40 unit hoping it would work like a roofing filter, but was not impressed. After talking to Jeff, he said they have their place, like Germany on 40m, as they protect the 1st mixer from mega-strong out of band signals (or if a 1.5 kw contester lives a couple blocks away). I was looking for more selectivity in-band, so I sold the mu-tune unit to finance the NS3. It actually is about $50 cheaper than a mu-tune unit.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »

Todd,

Are they charging you, or doing a freebie because you are the guinea pig?
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »

Nope, I have to pay for the filter and shipping. He's doing the install and alignment in exchange for using my rig for photos for his website if it works. This of course is a one time deal, and no one else can expect this free installation and alignment.

73, Todd - KT0DD
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »

That is fair. I assume the their cost of the filter is fairly high. Mark this thread and fill us in as soon as you get it back.
PA3KVE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:56 AM »

Gentlemen,

I posted this one on the FT-2000 Elmer.
I think it can apply to the FT-950 as well

Kees

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am not that enthousiastic about the NS filter
Sure, it is small banded and so it rejects nearby signals. But what about the signals further away?
With that I mean that the stopband is inadequate.
It is measured that the 3 and 6 kHz stock roofing filters are about -90 db in stopband [that's measured on a FT-2000, PA3KVE].
The NS filter will do -68 dB at his very best.

That's not enough to supress big signals from e.g. a BC station on 15 MHz, while you are listening to 14 MHz.
The image is 900 kHz down (twice the second IF frequency).
You can easy test that. BC say 15.150 MHz, image on 14.250 MHz.
The more front-end selectivity (put VRF on, external antenna tuner, loopantenne) the less you will notice it.
But it is there allright.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: