Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation for PSK-31  (Read 2738 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »

-I have been using DM-780 for PSK-31 but keep hearing about Fldigi and Digipan. I have never run PSK-31 with anything but DM-780, so have limited experience with other digital programs.
-Anyone used  Fldigi or Digipan? Would you recommend over DM-780?  if so why?
-Would appreciate any help on this question.

73 and thanks
Paul
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

Never heard of DM-780, but I've run PSK31 with both Digipan and fldigi. Both are excellent programs. I forget the differences, but I think fldigi will control your rig but Digipan won't. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »

Never heard of DM-780, but I've run PSK31 with both Digipan and fldigi. Both are excellent programs. I forget the differences, but I think fldigi will control your rig but Digipan won't. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

DM780 is the digital software included with Ham Radio Deluxe.

I prefer HRD/DM780 for the simple reason. I like to control my rigs with the CAT control. I also like the built in logbook which automatically uploads my contacts to EQSL as soon as I enter that into the log.

For me, HRD/DM780 is the software of choice.
W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »

Don't know about dm780 but a benefit of Digipan over Multipsk is that Digipan will decode all all the signals in your audio passband simultaneously and you click on one and your freq shifts to it.  So you can scan them all for CQ's

Dave, W1BVV
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »

I have used many programs over the last 15 years and I started using MultiPSK a few years ago and do not plan to switch. Unlike others mentioned here it covers nearly every know digi mode (many that others do not cover) and is free and constantly updated by author too.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »

There's dozens of programs to try, use the one you're most comfortable with.
Features useful to others may not be useful for you and vice versa.

HRD/DM780 is cool because of CAT control and the EQSL logging, as stated.
It also copies weak signals very well, IMHO.

But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Digipan,
the first really user friendly (click to tune) PSK-31 software.
Digipan made PSK-31 literally explode onto the ham scene, and turned an obscure
but spiffy mode into the biggest revolution in ham modes since SSB.
It's the software I used to make my first PSK31 contact
and the first PSK contact with a rig I built myself (Dave Benson's PSK-20 kit).

I remember first using it on slow machines running Windows 3.1.
Of course, a couple dozen revisions later it won't....but
I still have it on a 3.5" floppy around here somewhere. Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »

If you do Digi and limit yourself to only PSK you are missing a lot.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

I agree with AD6KA and VE3FMC's comments regarding the ease of using HRD/DM 780 for CAT rig control.  If that's not a deal maker for you, my $.02 is:

My XYL (KD0BZI) is severely hearing-impaired, and has a lot of trouble separating signal from noise on both SSB and CW.  Her interest in, and the fun she has using, the digital modes made me want to try them, too.  I've used DM780, DigiPan and fldigi over the past couple of years.  I finally settled on fldigi for one reason - it's the easiest, by far, IMHO, to configure and just _use_.  I operate on PSK-31 almost daily, and the simplicity of the program is what hooked me. 

Paired up with a SignaLink USB interface, I've never had a problem banging out QSOs as fast or as slow as I wanted to.  Like DigiPan, fldigi allows for multiple decoding (although I prefer not using that feature), and has many of the same bells and whistles as the other digital programs.

Best solution is as others have said - test drive each of them and see which best suits your operating style.  Best of luck - hope to meet up with you on the waterfall.

Ed - KD0BKH
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »

HRD/780 is quite a sophisticated software where Digipan is perhaps the easiest for a new digital operator, relatively simple. FLDigi is very popular with lots of different modes available. I use an early version of Airlink Express which is much simpler than the current version but is not so well known to many digital operators

G0GQK
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »

HRD/780 is quite a sophisticated software where
Digipan is perhaps the easiest for a new digital operator, relatively simple.

Very good point, I agree. As much as I like DM780, I wouldn't
want to have to sit down and explain how to use it, and all the features,
to an op new to digital. This would be easy with Digipan, and some others.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »

I started put with Digipan. As AD6KA pointed out it is very easy to use.  After I got comfortable in the waterfall, I found that the logging capabilities of Digipan were severely limited.  I looked at DM 780 but the GUI was really ugly by default and it seemed too complicated.  I went to MixW and it is great intermediate software, IMO.  I then saw a screenshot of AA6A's customized GUI on DM780 and that encouraged me to try it again.  I have never looked back.  Great software.  One thing I think is weak is the ALE (Add Log Entry) Pane in DM780.  Simon made this great ALE pane in the Logbook app - totally customizable for contests etc, but the ALE pane in DM780 is stuck with the default fields.  I hope that gets fixed someday.

I tried FLdigi and I thought it was too primitive compared to DM780.  It could be that I just never figured out where all the deep tools are.

HTH

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: