Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thanks for comments about morse in movies interesting , another movie ? please  (Read 3604 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »

Hi, ham s,  thanks for comments on code in movies. I have another question not totally ham related, but having to do with movies. I remember " Colossus the Forbin  project" the one where the computer teamed up with another and took over the world . Was there a second movie or book ( both )  did they figure out how to disable it ? guess I could look it up on web, just curious  kg4ymc
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:53:51 AM »

lol enema of the state (you know, the one with wil smiff?) was on yesterday and when they panned a shot over a satelite in orbit they played cq cq cq de and some rtty, as if sateilites made sounds and as if sound can be heard in space!

in space, no one can hear you fart (rejected tagline for the movie aliens)

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »

It's not a movie, but --

My wife is addicted to "The Young and the Restless".  One of the characters was in a sort of catatonic state wherein he could only move a couple fingers on one hand.  Everybody KNEW that this character knew the true story behind some dastardly goings-on in some sub-plot.

Wife was telling me this and I casually mentioned that this minor character (an older gentleman) had probably been a military communicator in his earlier days and was trying to give this vital information to somebody who could copy it.

Guess who was right!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AI8O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »

Hi, ham s,  thanks for comments on code in movies. I have another question not totally ham related, but having to do with movies. I remember " Colossus the Forbin  project" the one where the computer teamed up with another and took over the world . Was there a second movie or book ( both )  did they figure out how to disable it ? guess I could look it up on web, just curious  kg4ymc
In one of the Early Mickie Mouse cartoons there is a portion where Mickey is on a train following another train and trying to get it stopped.
You hear the station agent sending a message in  International Morse to the next station. The message is repeated four or five times.
 All it says is says is CQ CQ DE and a W6 callsign.
 I don't remember the call exactly, but I remember looking it up. It was a real callsign that came back to a Ham who I guess was a Disney employee.

In the movie "Marooned" starring Gregory Peck  you hear RTTY during a rocket ship launch & in several scenes where you see various spacecraft moving in space.
AI8O
Cheesy
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:53:18 AM »

Ah! The Forbin Project, one of my favorite movies. I'm not aware of any sequel though, I wonder how it could be beaten?

Tanakasan
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »

I'm not aware of a sequel to "Colossus: The Forbin Project" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064177/ but there was another movie around that time that had some plot similarities called "The Questor Tapes" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070585/.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »

hi,

yes, Forbin Project ranks high on my list too,
everyone on the planet had to learn to
get along with each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjebwUrhvc

notice the Tek Scope and the hard disk drives the
size of the actor, all state of the art Control Data hardware
and the CalComp plotter.

No need for indicator lamps, nobody can get inside,
best part of all, no OFF switch!

Questor was an advanced android but the scientists decided
to use their own programming instead of the inventor's code.

Early RKO movies had Morse code play with the studio logo
VVVV AN RKO RADIO PICTURE VVVV

73 james
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:06:41 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KN7F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »

My wife (ka2ren) and I both remember that there was a sequel something to do with a threat from Mars which turns out to be another world controlling super computer. Vague unreliable memory so it must have been . "One to remember"...NOT!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: