Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PERL or PHP  (Read 1625 times)
K9MRD

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

In a heavy number crunching application on a UNIX server, would a user notice much difference if the application were in PERL or PHP?  JavaScript?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:58:32 AM by K9MRD » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »

PHP is faster than PERL.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1017&bih=595&q=which+is+faster+PERL+or+PHP&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I use both on my Linux LAMP server, and for those e-commerce apps, can't tell any practical difference.

N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »

In a heavy number crunching application on a UNIX server, would a user notice much difference if the application were in PERL or PHP?  JavaScript?

I would not do serious number crunching in any of those languages! I use Fortran 90, C/C++, parallel computing via MPI.

Tor
N4OGW
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »

The best language for speed is C.
Not C++ or any other variant, but basic, old lightning fast C.
Having said that, to answer your question, I would go Perl.
Only because Perl is a real programming language, not a scripting kluge like the others.

Now, having put my personal biases on the table, I would say in todays world, with fast computers and short deadlines, just use whatever language gets the job done.
It really doesn't matter whether you are using a UNIX or other platform, the speeds are about the same, the main differences lie in how processes are handled and in UNIX forking is much cleaner than say Windows.
Unfortunately, these days if you are in a corporate environment, speed of application development is viewed more favourably than elegance of programming, so you will probably be restricted to which language gets the job done reasonably in the shortest time.

Asking for which language is best in almost any forum is like throwing a match into a bucket of gasolene, you are bound to get flames!

If you are genuinely concerned about run-time choke points, it would be easy enough to write some simple looping routines using double precision operators and take the start and stop times and see which language runs fastest.

One other factor you would need to consider is if you are using an interpreted or compiled version in the run-time, as there is a big difference in execution speed in these two cases.

Good luck es 73s
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:09:11 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »

If you are genuinely concerned about run-time choke points, it would be easy enough to write some simple looping routines using double precision operators and take the start and stop times and see which language runs fastest.

One other factor you would need to consider is if you are using an interpreted or compiled version in the run-time, as there is a big difference in execution speed in these two cases.

Excellent points. I'll write some test code and see!
KF5IZN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »

It might depend on what kind of math you are doing. 
I find Python deals with this pretty well, and will use C++ over C when I'm doing a lot of these calculations. 
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

I find Python deals with this pretty well, and will use C++ over C when I'm doing a lot of these calculations. 

Numerical Integration of a definite integral. Must be done via CGI call, php, javascript, etc.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »

I didn't know Python was good for number crunching. If the OP isn't comfortable with C, it sounds like Python might be a good choice. It's a very easy language to learn, and quite versatile.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: