The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bang for the buck Yagi antenna is..?  (Read 37465 times)
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 10:06:39 AM »

I agree, Log Periodics DO look good, almost like a big "Bird Of Prey" perched on top of a Tower.

Let me know when SteppIR comes up with a moving boom, so they can space the Yagi Elements properly on each and every band. Until then, the SteppIR remains a compromise antenna, like most others, including mine.

Ditto.

I don't now where "huge and heavy LP" came from, but the T8 and a 3-ele SteppIR w/30-40m add on are within a lb or two of the same weight, about the same length for the longest element, about the same wind load and turning radius, T8 has a 2 ft longer boom.

Different strokes.
KI4Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »

Probably the best bang for the buck yagi would be a couple of used TH3-Jr's stacked..  They're darned cheap, probably <$100 the pair, and stacking two will get the gain up to current standards.  Clean them up, dry out and reseal the traps. 

mark
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »

Don't need a sliding boom..SteppIR's performance & reputation speaks for itself.

Every antenna is a compromise

Everybody thinks their's is the best. Yup..the T8 (umm?..Bird of Prey) is the same weight, etc.

Just kidding Grin..They (LPAs) are the bestest antenna ever..really! (and only 800 beans too)  Wink

My recommendation?..buy a pair of T8s & stack em'..you'll be unbeatable in the pileups!

Best bang for the buck..

Have a Great Memorial Weekend
                    73'..Tom N3ZC
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:01:54 PM by N3ZC » Logged
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »

Don't need a sliding boom..SteppIR's performance & reputation speaks for itself.

Every antenna is a compromise

Everybody thinks their's is the best. Yup..the T8 (umm?..Bird of Prey) is the same weight, etc.

Just kidding..They are the bestest antenna ever..really! (and only 800 beans too)  Wink

Have a Great Memorial Weekend
                    73'..Tom N3ZC
Actually, you are correct Tom about the sliding Boom. It would be better to have a sliding boom, but the ability to adjust the elements sort of makes up for it. The SteppIR is a fine antenna, I wish I had 1600 dollars I could afford to spend.
Happy Memorial Day to you too Tom!
Chris - Ka7niq

K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »

Best bang for the buck Yagi ... IMHO, it has to be the new Q52 10M thru 20M from N6BT.com .  True, this is a 'reduced size' antenna, but check out the specs and you'll see each the efficiency of each band vs a full sized yagi.  The elements are only 16' and boom = 9 feet.  A small rotator is fine.  N6BT is Tom Schiller founder and former owner of Force12 antennas.  Oh, the Price??? How about $550!!
GL 73, Rich, K3VAT
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »

Best bang for the buck Yagi ... IMHO, it has to be the new Q52 10M thru 20M from N6BT.com .  True, this is a 'reduced size' antenna, but check out the specs and you'll see each the efficiency of each band vs a full sized yagi.  The elements are only 16' and boom = 9 feet.  A small rotator is fine.  N6BT is Tom Schiller founder and former owner of Force12 antennas.  Oh, the Price??? How about $550!!
GL 73, Rich, K3VAT

I have the utmost respect for Tom Schiller N6BT, and after looking at his new Reduced Size All Band Yagi http://www.n6bt.com/n6bt-Q52-p1-1.htm that respect continues.
This is a very innovative product for space challenged Hams. IMHO, this product may give prospective Hex Beams buyers a new, cleaner looking option. Talk about Low Profile ?
This is about as low profile,, as it gets. It is actually smaller then a CB 2 element Yagi, neighbor friendly looking too!
OK, it ain't quite gonna equal a Hex Beams front to back, maybe be a little down in gain too, so what ? It don't look like an Umbrella on a bad acid trip either Wink
I hope Tom owns Europe with this design.
I think he needs a better name for it, how about the "N6BT Little Buddy" ?
Any Yagi that gives 3 plus db over a dipole, covers all bands from 20 through 10, is clean looking, and smaller then a CB Antenna is a "friend" to all space challenged Hams worldwide.
This Little Buddy is small enough to mount on a Chimney Mount, turn with a cheap TV Rotor!
What an exciting product indeed. Now, IF he can add an extra element or 2 as an option, down the road maybe ....

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »

Everybody  unfortunately only give logs a  bad wrap because they always compare them to the very small ones like the T6, T8 and and Cuscraft logs.

Logs unfortunately really need a   minimum boom length of at least 24 to 30 ft. Try comparing your favorite antenna brand  to a good  log periodic antenna, I bet you wont be whining about the gain.

Here is a link for  some modelling data on  the Tennadyne T10

http://www.dl9rdm.de/3.html

A nice decent  4db of gain over a dipole on most bands. Try finding any other WARC band antenna  for the same price with verifiable performance!  This owner did replace the T10 with a Optibeam with 1db more of gain! WOW some gain. The T12 even performs better. Unfortunately NEC does not model logs too well.  When you actually model a log and then actually measure the gain they always perform better than the models seem to indicate.  Driving all the elements has a huge bonus that the models dont show. I had a T12 at another location and it was sitting on  step ladder at 6 foot above the ground.  I could work DX and the antenna had a decent pattern. Logs dont get detuned like parasitic antennas.  Try and make a tribander work 6 ft over the ground, Good luck! Logs also dont get bothered by metallic  uninsulated guy wires.

Heres a picture of 4  T10's  stacked. Anyone heard Chucks signal lately on 17 meters? WOW! Logs do have their place if they are properly designed and at least have a 24 to 30 ft boom.

http://www.criticaltowers.com/General%20Web%20Pages/K1KW%20Radio%20Site.htm

Frankly hams fret way too much over  1 or 2 miserable Db. You can easily get that just by cranking your amplifier up. Nobody is going to notice where your 1 or 2 db comes from.

What is more important is the takeoff angle gain. Height upto 1.5 wavelengths  is A best buy, you cant get the extra gain from any antenna design that you are going to get from raising the height of your tower. I would be happy to take a  Hexbeam  on a Luso 40 meter electric crankup tower, I am 100% sure I will whip most peoples butt in pileup even ones with the new STEPPIR DB42 at low height.

I have a stack of 3 X 5 element monoband yagis on 20 meters, and the difference between the high one at 150 feet and the one  at 50ft is staggering. On a very well calibrated SDR receiver i can get  18 db of signal gain when i switch from the lower antenna to the upper antenna. What new antenna design can I buy that will give me this much gain ? Yup, only Eimac metal antennas with handles and hooks are capable of that sort of gain.

I also have the problem that I am getting old and I  am not so enthusiastic about contesting. I too now need a stack of antennas that covers all bands. I have been looking closely at logs, STEPPIR's and Optibeams. Even stacked multiband quads look very nice.
The 3 element ON7NQ design and the W4RNL 5 band quad designs look fantastic. The stacked logs also look very good. However I might  get custom antenna from Optibeam that would  have 20,17 and ,15 meters only on one boom.  Something with 7 elements on 15 meters, 6 elements on 17 meters and 5 on 20 meters. This would suit the stack spacing of 50 ft perfectly. I could also achieve the same performance with 3 logs on 42  foot booms! If the STEPPIR was mechanically more reliable and handled decent power without frying  that would be a good antenna. Unfortunately the price is ridiculous for such poor materials.

The N6BT design looks nice, however I am skeptical about the gain and efficiency claims. Lots of things look good in a model, in reality they  perform very differently. Ah ,,dont forget a dipole when placed at a decent height over ground has 7.5 to 8.5Dbi of gain. I dont need a beam to get 3db of gain WOW. Put this dipole up at 70 feet and all the cry baby  hams with their  10,000 dollar radios and the 10,000 dolar amp with the G5RV's stapled to the house gutter will report you for running illegal power because your signal will be so good. The humble monoband dipole at a decent height is a fantastic antenna. Even I am surprised how well it works. When you crack pileups  with 500 watts and beat stations running beams with a decent monoband dipole you soon realize all the bunkum and claims about antennas and gain  can be a lot of nonsense  a  lot of the time. 

Another thing I dont like about the N6Bt design is that it cant handle full legal limit. When you struggling for every Db in antenna gain and then to go short change yourself because you cant run your antenna at whatever  your legal limit is,  is robbing  yourself  of Db's. There are many countries where the legal limit is 2500 watts not 1500 or a kilowatt. ERP can be achieved in two ways either from antenna gain or Eimac gain, the choice is yours within legal limit!  A 1db here and a 1 db there soon adds up,  EI EI EI Oh!

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: