Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My complaint with some of the Big Gun's  (Read 20047 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

He says he is getting a software update that should limit  some of posting.

Maybe he could get a software update to turn it off.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »

Well that was my first thought on the subject. Just turn the skimmer off. I settled down, and thought maybe there was some benefit to someone for these skimmer spots.

N5UD
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »

"DX Ethics".  Check this link out: http://www.dxpub.com/dx_news.html
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

hey good link and DX points from Uncle Dx

N5UD
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »

"Hello OM glad to hear your booming signal on the west coast again today, when we talked here on 20 meters yesterday you were not quite this loud so I thought I had better let you know that you were really burning the tops off the clouds out here.  Then what followed was about 15 minutes of idle chatter with the west coast station doing the majority of the talking bragging about his 170' tower and huge monster antenna. Now if that wasn't bad enough he asks the DX station to say hi to his friend whom the DX station had also talked to yesterday.
Just my personal opinion

Wow. Almost reminds me of the 11 meter Channel 6 "Superbowl". 

Did this guy start saying "TESTTESTTESTTEST ONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONE IN THE CORRRRRNER, BIG OLE 62 PILL DC MOBILE IN THA WEST SIDE AN I JUST GOT DOWN, BREAK BREAK" too?  rofl
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

Over the weekend I was trying to work a new country for my DXCC award and it so happened that a number of like minded hams were attempting the same thing, Some of us had been trying for the better part of 1.5 hours to make a contact when out of the blue a west coast big gun comes on and gets the DXer's attention and this was the jest of the conversation.

"Hello OM glad to hear your booming signal on the west coast again today, when we talked here on 20 meters yesterday you were not quite this loud so I thought I had better let you know that you were really burning the tops off the clouds out here.  Then what followed was about 15 minutes of idle chatter with the west coast station doing the majority of the talking bragging about his 170' tower and huge monster antenna. Now if that wasn't bad enough he asks the DX station to say hi to his friend whom the DX station had also talked to yesterday.

Do you see anything wrong here? Not all of us have 170' towers and brag about how we can use 3KW if need be, some of us live in the midwest where we have to get past each coast to make a contact. If you have worked a station the day before and you are not passing on vital information why not politely keep your mouth shut and let others have a chance to work the rare one.  By the time the big wheel big gun was done the band was headed out and another chance to get the new one went out with it.

Just my personal opinion

Yep, I do see something wrong:

You need to expand your horizons and try different modes.

I don't see the station as very rare, if he's on in two sequential days.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »

I can imagine from the DXers perspective this must also be frustrating.
Hams in the USA get into nice long QSO's with one another and no one interupts, but for a DX station that may just want to talk to a few friends that he meets during a pileup's it's like a clock is ticking on his conversation. And if at another point in time that same DX station goes on the air just to talk to a friend, he gets people calling him everytime he unkeys the Mic.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »

Our club had a few speakers in the past who've lamented this very problem. One ham from 9H was saying it's virtually impossible for anybody to fire up for a couple of simple chats without all of Southern Europe (and especially Italy) screaming at him, demanding to be worked next or NOW (!!!!!!) and in general being so badly-behaved that he has little choice but to give in and work them or go QRT (he usually prefers the later option and I don't blame him one bit).

Another one of our club members holidays regularly in SV5 and has the same experience. He usually calls for "outside Europe" looking to hand out SV5 to The North American and Asian Deserving but the guys a couple of hundred miles away just won't stop and keep turning their amps and processors up to 11 until he works them.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

This is kind of like complaining that some beautiful young women also dress skimpily and flirt because they might not get noticed just by being young and beautiful alone. If our biggest problem in Ham Radio is that some station is bigger and badder than ours, and some Hams are tools about hogging DX we want to work, we dont have very serious problems at all. We cant get younger and more beautiful but we can get bigger and badder antennas.
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »

KD8MJR  Quote
"I can imagine from the DXers perspective this must also be frustrating.
Hams in the USA get into nice long QSO's with one another and no one interupts, but for a DX station that may just want to talk to a few friends that he meets during a pileup's it's like a clock is ticking on his conversation. And if at another point in time that same DX station goes on the air just to talk to a friend, he gets people calling him everytime he unkeys the Mic."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Robert,

I could not have said it better myself. You are exactly correct.

John W5JON - V47JA - J68JA - V31FB - P40DX - G0AOH

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: