Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Police Department License Renewal Question  (Read 4374 times)
W3OWL

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »

Our local municipal police department will need to renew their public service frequencies before the end of this year, and I have offered my help.  No one at the PD has any knowledge of radios, licensing, etc.  Can the license be renewed on line at the FCC web site, just like a ham license?  It appears that there is no fee for a "PW-Public Safety Pool-Conventional" license, but a local radio shop/installer wants to charge the department a few hundred dollars "for the paper work involved."  Any suggestions?  TNX Bill W3OWL
N0RHA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »

It's been a while since I've had to do anything for my agencies, and the task has since been passed to someone else, but I seem to recall that PW licenses could also be maintained in ULS, just like amateur licenses for the most part.

Check with someone at the agency you are supporting to see if anyone ever registered an FRN. Also, you can look up the license in ULS to see if an FRN is already attached. If not, they will need to register a new FRN for their agency and have the FCC attach it to their licenses.

Once you have access to an FRN that can modify the necessary licenses then you should be able to do everything else online.

Paul N0RHA
W3OWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »

Thanks for your input.  Yes, I have the FRN for the license assigned to the police department.  I'm guessing that an actual signature would not be required if renewed on the FCC web site during the approprite renewal period.  The last time this license was renewed (2002), the application for renewal was signed by an officer who has since retired.  Now it appears that no one has a clue as to how to proceed.  Is this type of renewal subject to the "not more than 90 days prior" restriction like a ham license renewal? TNX W3OWL
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »

It has been my experience that the radio shop that maintains the radios also handles the licensing. And no, they generally don't do it for free; it's part of the maintenance contract.

Personally, if you don't know exactly what you are doing, I would let the folks (the radio shop) that do know what they are doing handle the renewal.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »

License renewal is extremely easy to do. Takes 10-15 minutes tops.

License modifications are an entirely different thing. (antenna site changes, number of base or mobile units, adding a repeater or worse, new frequencies).

For public safety, APCO has acted as a frequency coordinating agency in the past. If you need to modify a license they have regional coordinators who can help you out.

There are specialty firms like Comsearch who go out and "find" you new frequencies, prepare all of the information, cite the proper FCC rule and will even file on your behalf.

For most of the utilities and government agencies I work with I suggest that they do their own renewals. Some of the radio shops have been charging a few hundred dollars to process a renewal when in reality it is 99% profit for them.

Tisha Hayes
AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W3OWL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »

TNX Tisha.  I called the FCC and they confirmed that we can do the standard renewal electronically during the usual 90 period.  We don't want new frequencies, we just want to maintain the ones we have now.  We have a FRN already and just need to establish a password, then renew on line during the renewal period.  73 Bill
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »

FCC.GOV  is  your friend...

go read..... its all there...
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

The bad thing is that even if you get it renewed you will have to have a license modification before Jan 1 2013 when the FCC is forcing everyone to go narrow band. (12.5 kHz) Unless the license they have is already set up to include the new spacing. If they change from regular FM to a digital FM then the license has to be modified for the new emission mode. I just finished going through that at the school I work for. We changed all the radios to 12.5 kHz digital FM encrypted and had to have our license modified for the new band width and emission mode. Then sometime around 2020-25 it has to be done again when they make the change to 6¼ kHz bandwidth spacing. Don't you just love the government.........NOT!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »

I am in the commercial two-way business.  We do our customer's licensing paperwork for no charge as a courtesy to them.
However, there ARE charges to the Frequency Coordinator (if utilized) and sometimes to the FCC (except for government and public safety for which fees are waived).  We make a point to inform our customers that the dollars we are quoting them for license changes go to the Coordinator and/or FCC and that our services are provided for free. 

They don't always hear that part and think that we are making a hefty profit.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: