Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: software post contest entry  (Read 9000 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »

I can't figure out these new logging programs. My old DOS CT would allow post contest log entry. I can't seem to find the same on this Windows based stuff.

I was mobile and kept a paper log. I was going to enter all the Q's into a contest logging program. Which one supports this ?

N5UD
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

I can't figure out these new logging programs. My old DOS CT would allow post contest log entry. I can't seem to find the same on this Windows based stuff.

I was mobile and kept a paper log. I was going to enter all the Q's into a contest logging program. Which one supports this ?

N5UD
Betcha good old DOS CT would work if you tried it.

Web-based log submission forms also fit your need quite nicely. e.g. http://b4h.net/cabforms/
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

I know it will. I thought I said that. I just thought some this newer gee whiz software should do it.

Support for CT was stopped last year. Time to switch Huh
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

I found free software specifically for post-contest conversion of paper logs to an electronic format. Not sure if this is what you need but it might help.

http://contestsoftware.com/e/whatslm.htm
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

I know it will. I thought I said that. I just thought some this newer gee whiz software should do it.

Support for CT was stopped last year. Time to switch Huh

Hello, I saw your post about CT......our Field Day group has tried to get CT to work with Windows 7, but no luck. Your comment, time to switch, can you recommend a replacement logging and networking software to replace CT?

thanks much!!

ed ~ k6sdw
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:21:21 AM »

N1MM is the defacto standard for contesting software. Just do a Google for N1MM.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

N1MM is the defacto standard for contesting software. Just do a Google for N1MM.

The only issue I can think of using N1MM would be that N1MM timestamps each entry in REALTIME so you would have to enter the QSO info, then EDIT the LOG ENTRY to reset the time to the correct QSO time/date. If you had a full log to do this could get really monotonous real fast!!!

Another process would be to enter all the log entries into a electronic logger that allows 'paper' copying by disabling the realtime timestamping (I use DXLab Suite's DXKeeper and it allows this nicely). Once all entries are in and checked, export to a ADIF file and then use a ADIF to CABRILLO converter utility.

Good Luck. Sounds like you'll need it if you have a big log to enter.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »

The old shareware version of Win EQf that you can download will allow you to put date/time in manually.  I have been using it as an intro to PC logging.   How times have changed, been away from the contest scene for 20 years.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »

Windows point-and-click logging software for putting paper logs into electronic form, is exquisitely painful. So many points and clicks and types and point and clicks and type to fill out the form for each QSO.

What you want is a way to type in text (one line per QSO) and use a "Cabrillo web form" to get the formatting done. So much easier. Like these: http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »

Windows point-and-click logging software for putting paper logs into electronic form, is exquisitely painful. So many points and clicks and types and point and clicks and type to fill out the form for each QSO.

What you want is a way to type in text (one line per QSO) and use a "Cabrillo web form" to get the formatting done. So much easier. Like these: http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/

Sure is is true that electronic logging programs are not very efficient for post operating log entry but it can be done. My main concern would be does an online format (like you have recommended) have the capability to download the entered data back to the ops computer in a recognized format (like ADIF) so it can be imported into an electronic logging program for later use if desired. If not, then for any use other than submitting a contest log in Cabrillo format, it is useless and a waste of time and energy. I, for one, would hate to enter all that information into a system where I could not retrieve the fruits of my labor for use past the one-off log entry to a contest group.

To the OP, I still would suggest that if you are looking to start using an electronic logging program, bite the bullet and decide which one you want to use. Set it up and start entering data. It isn't going to get any easier as time marches on.  Logging mobile operations in general and especially time critical log entries like the CQWW 5 day deadline make the task more daunting than most. When I ran a lot of mobile HF operating,  I never found a easy simple way to log mobile ops. The best way I did find was to record the QSO info on a handheld voice recorder and then transcribe it as soon as possible thereafter to avoid having a large backlog of entries to process. It always seemed to be time consuming for me regardless of the different approaches I did try.

Good Luck.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »

N3FJP software allows one to build a contest log from a paper log. I did it for field day a couple of years ago. Tedious but it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: