Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF mobile antennas that handle power  (Read 6562 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »

Don must have had a hearing problem. I can hear many, many things I cannot work with 100 watts mobile. If I could be heard as well as I can hear I'd have DXCC mobile in a month. Add an amp for more fun.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:26:54 PM by WX7G » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

In this case, I have to agree with David.

If you take the time to do all of the requisite noise abatement, it is possible to end up not needing any sort of noise blanking. On the open road, the RFI generated by my Honda Ridgeline is less than S1. You can hear the birdies from the three main buss systems, which you can't do much about, but the DSP handles those easily. In town, I do use the blanker most of the time for obvious reasons.

I've often worked stations that didn't move the S meter at all, even with the preamp on. If I turned off the amplifier, they couldn't hear me. THis said, the facts are, it can be a two way street. It just depends on the incoming angle, background noise level, and perhaps a dozen other parameters. But to say a mobile amplifier isn't worth the effort, is a biased statement.

PS: I take it Catfish (aka N6AJR), that you don't run a mobile amp? I do know you have about 6 or 7 base amps. So the question remains, why do you have those?

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »

"no sense having an amp on hf mobile as you can't her farther than you can talk with 100 watts." or in other words , all power does mobile is turn you into an alligator, , all mouth and no ears..."

I can't even begin to count or name the stations I have heard, but they could not hear me with 100 watts. This is US and DX. Though I do find that well over 50% of the time the 100 watts will make a good QSO. As for DX and mobile, CW is easier.  On SSB I have called countless stations, some well over S9, that never responded to my calls. Makes you wonder what power these guys are using ?

Last night about 0210 I worked 5M2TT on 10 MHz with the first call. He was coming in good. I work some guys right at my noise level. Sometimes I wonder how they hear me at all.

After I get totally satisfied with the antenna. Convinced all is as good as I can make. I may get a mobile amp.

Nothing like good band conditions to produce those 1 hour S9 QSO's.

73 N5UD
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: