Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I wasting the contester's time?  (Read 1239 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »

A quick question:  I don't contest, but today I figured out the exchange and had a couple of quick contacts in the Quarter Century Wireless Contest on CW, just for fun.  But, I have no intention of bothering to submit a log sheet, so, am I wasting their time because my QSO is not verifiable?  If so, I won't do it again.  Thanks

Dave
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »

Lots of casual operators hand out a few contacts and never submit a log.  Normally the contestor will be awarded points for the contact with you and other casual operators whether or not you submit logs.
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »

Please don't stop making contest contacts! =)  Contesters make a lot of point contacting the casual operator.  The good contest ops will walk you through the exchange just to get the QSO and resulting points.

Too many unique calls will cause grief for the contester, but that's not your concern.

Also, I don't know of any contest that'll turn away your log, no matter how small.  If nothing else, it's useful as a "check-log," so your call won't come up as "unique" anymore.  And hey, you never know - you might win something, even with one or two QSOs! =)

Cheers,

Bob AB3EI
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:52:09 AM »

I appreciate the advice, and will continue to occasionally make a casual contest contact.  Since I am apparently not a nuisance to the contester(per your answers), and even though I have no interest in contesting , it occurs to me that this may be a nice way for me to add some new locations to my log.  Which brings up another question:  If I work a "new" (for me) county, state, country, etc., and send a QSL card, is a contester likely to respond with a QSL card, even theough the QSO was one of a thousand to him, and all of 5 seconds long?

Dave
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 07:13:25 AM »

Yes they will QSL.  Just don't expect 100% return.  Many people do not QSL at all whether it is ragchewing or contesting. I'd say the percentage who will QSL is about the same whether or not they are a contestor.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:14 AM »

"is a contester likely to respond with a QSL card, even theough the QSO was one of a thousand to him, and all of 5 seconds long?"

I think very many will, but don't expect a super-fast turnaround rate.  It is easy for a contester to take the computerized log and print out QSL labels for whatever cards he or she gets in, but it's a lot of paperwork when  a third of your total want cards :-)

- - - - - -

I'll add another confirmation that you're not a nuisance.  It's very much the opposite.

The whole point of contesting is to make as many QSO's as possible, and if you have a steady stream of non-contesters who need your country or state, all the better... you can just sit on your run frequency and make QSO after QSO.

Contests where there's no one but the contesters are a little weird... VHF contests without band openings around here are like that... always the same 30 stations or so ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »

For QSLs, well, there's a lot of contesters use LotW.  I will reply 100% to all paper requests, and often send out some of my own.  I also upload all logs to LotW and E-QSL regularly.  But I really like paper QSLs. =)

So go ahead and send 'em.  If you send one to me, you'll get one back.  I send 'em like I get 'em; if you send along an SASE, it'll go back in that.  If you don't, you'll get it at postcard rate. =)

Cheers,

Bob AB3EI
WA6L

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »

I do the same thing when I get QRM from the XYL or don't have time to make a real effort at a contest.  I just get on when I can and make a few contacts.

What I suggest is that you submit a log as a checklog.  That way, there is no doubt about the other stations getting credit.  With a checklog, your score is not announced, so you don't have to feel bad about the number of contacts.  73 and GL!
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »

Thanks.  At the risk of belaboring this thread, I take it that a checklog (new term for me) might be required to make my QSO valid in some contests, but not others?  Again, the only reason I care is to be sure I am not just an interruption to the contester.  Based on your answers, it's apparently not a problem.  So, again out of curiosity, if you contesters are in a contest that does not require a checklog, how are contacts verified?  You guys are just on your honor?

Dave
KA4CKR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »

I'm not a hard-core contester, but I play one on TV, hi hi.

Most of the time, you do not have to submit a log for the contesters to get credit for your QSO. That is, if you make more than one or two QSO's in the contest. Because your call will show up in each of the logs for the stations you worked, they will be "not-unique".

The contest log-checking software that is used by most large contest sponsors has the ability to notice that log 24308 sent in by WB6### has your callsign in it and it happens to remember that your callsign was also in log 19756 sent in by AB2$$.

Even if you only worked one contest station, that doesn't mean they won't get credit. Most contests know there will be unique callsigns in a log. As long as one station doesn't have 20% of their log as uniques, they will usually have no problems.

One way that your QSO may get someone in trouble (and it's not a lot of trouble) is if you only make one QSO and your callsign happens to be very close to another contester. Say your callsign is K1ZZ, which we all know it is not. Now, say that a well known contester with N1ZZ as a callsign made many contacts. The log-checking software would think that your callsign was copied incorrectly, so it would take away points for your contact and assess an additional penalty in some contests.

So the moral of the story is, if you aren't going to submit a log, make more than one contact. Try to make 10 or more just to make sure. The contesters, as you have been made aware, need every QSO they can get.

Tim - KA4CKR
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »

Hi Dave.....I do exactly the same thing in the contests, and its a fun way to snag a new state, county, DX.

QSL returns.  You will greatly increase the return rate of QSLs if you include an SASE.  Using this method I've gotten over 90% reply from US and Canadian hams.

Check out contest logging software by N3FJP:
http://www.n3fjp.com/
Their loggers are unique to each event, simple, and they produce Cabrillo, ADIF, and paper logs.  Makes submitting a check log a snap.

Cheers dude!
David
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »

Contests are great for picking up lots of countries on 40m ssb since a lot of them will be working split frequency so that they can pick up US stations. These stations can only operate in lower portion of 40m where the US statons don't have voice priviledges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: