Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10-meter rigs from CB-Land...  (Read 5259 times)
N4KYW

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

I'm looking for a 10-meter, all-mode rig because the reality of living in a townhome community limits the size of the antennas I can cram into my attic. I've seen on-line ads for several brands from the CB community--Ranger, Connex, Magnum, etc. In particular, the Ranger 2950 (10 & 12 meters) looks interesting to me.
Does anyone have words to offer in support or rejection of 10-meter rigs offered through CB channels?
Thx.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »

Well....  A good used solid state all band amateur mobile is about the same price from the classifieds like eHam or QTH.com.  Maybe a TS-130S, Icom IC-735, etc...  Why not just use on of those, and just turn the power down?  The "CBAmateur" radios I have seen all have odd ball frequency selection schemes instead of a normal VFO knob.  Can't speak to their performance, but given the market, I don't have high hopes.   An amateur specific rig will give you selectable AGC and some interference rejection controls, provision for optional filters, and all the other handy stuff.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »

I had a Ranger 2950 and couldn't get shut of it quick enough. I was stupid enough to buy one brand new. It has by far the worst way of changing frequencies of any radio I have ever come across. The layout is a joke and they have reliability issues. In addition to that, they have absolutely nothing in the way of noise reduction other than a worthless noise blanker. You can buy a good used HF 160-6m mobile radio for the same price as one of those is new and the used one would work way better.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »

You can buy the best 10M rig out there but it won't change the fact you're not going to work anyone very often.

Better to have a "standard" HF rig covering most or all of the HF bands and work open bands with compromise antennas, rather than try to work dead bands with an efficient antenna.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »

Tell us about your attic. I bet we can figure something out.

Richard
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »

I'm looking for a 10-meter, all-mode rig because the reality of living in a townhome community limits the size of the antennas I can cram into my attic.

I've diddled with them and can verify the Ranger 2950 seems like a good idea on the day you buy it but that changes real quick... It's a junk radio. The Uniden HR 2510 is considered one of the better CB refugees but they're also known for QA issues. Allegedly the factory alignment can leave much to be desired. I have a Rat Shack HTX-10 that's not a bad little rig as long as I don't care exactly which frequency I'm on. If I recall, ballpark it to the nearest 5 kHz with the VFO then RIT until it sounds about right. I haven't used it in a while. The one I have went disco for $69.95 brand new in the box back in 2005, give or take a little.

If I knew then what I know now I'd have shied away from the CB rigs in favor of a low end transceiver like an IC-718 or a clean used TS-450S. That path will cost a little more up front but I'd get much more in terms of usability long term. If you move from the townhouse to more spacious digs you'll have an all-band rig to match. If not, you can SWL the lower bands and WWCR while you're waiting for ten to open.

Wouldn't want to miss the latest from Alex Jones on what the gay Bilderburg communist Illuminati CFR radical Islamic transsexuals are up to.  Roll Eyes

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »

I would not get any of those CB rigs for 10 meters. Many are loud and overmodulated, and annoying. All of those do not have a VFO. If you are hell bent on getting one, then get the HR-2510, or its sister radios. They have a VFO, and they are stable on SSB. The receiver is pretty good, bit not close to ham quality.

Those Magnum, Rangers, and so forth are overpower CB radios that are labeled 10M, because the manufacturers try to circumvent the 4W and frequency rules.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:55:13 PM by N4NYY » Logged
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »

I lived in a rented house for a while.

Putting up an antenna was out of the question.

But, I was able to install an antenna on my car and run coax from the house to my car.  I used an entry level ham radio.

The last time someone asked a similar question to yours, I looked at the prices of the fake over modulated 10 meetr rigs and discovered, as others have mentioned, an entry level ham rig was about the same price.  Used ham rigs were even better!

Bob
KD4TWP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

Hello everyone

As far as the cb 10 mtr rigs in a apartment setting not sure what the others are talking about but i travel alot all over the world and have had the uniden 2510 or ranger 2950 with me for at least 5 of those years to talk 10mtrs, in a few apartments i ran ham and cb radio with a 13x15 attic but i had a small balcony that i put a 11mtr wire on easly,then put a tarheel mobile ant in the attic along with a 20mtr wire and made contacts all over the world on 10 and 20 mtrs. i made stateside contacts from Kuwait as a 9k2 with the uniden 2510 and all over europe. getting a mobile antenna to work in a apartment setting is easy, or if you have room a 10mtr wire is also easy.There is nothing wrong with the 10mtr rigs that is realy made for cbers and they modify them to talk on 11mtrs.if you are on a bottom floor you can run a ground wire also i have before .never once did i get complants from anyone when i talked with 100 watts on the cb/ham radios so theres nothing to that.but watch what you buy used beware many  have been hacked up.but as someone said if you can buy a cheap small ham rig such as the ts-480,ts-50,Yaesu Ft-857, or Alincos small rig or icoms 706 family of radios your better off becasue you can run 100 watts. but as most of my ham friends dont understand is not everybody has the money to buy a 4 to 800 buck rig new or used and wait a year to save the money...when you can buy a 10mtr cb rig for 150 bucks and talk today.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »

I bought a new Ranger because the IC-718 did not do FM and I wanted a 10FM in the house.  Hooked up in the tuck on the way home from the hamfest and signals that were S9+ on the FT857 were S2-3 on the ranger.  It is still on the top of the tool box in the garage and may go to another hamfest this weekend to be sold at a loss to one of the CBers that come to this one.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »

I'm looking for a 10-meter, all-mode rig because the reality of living in a townhome community limits the size of the antennas I can cram into my attic. I've seen on-line ads for several brands from the CB community--Ranger, Connex, Magnum, etc. In particular, the Ranger 2950 (10 & 12 meters) looks interesting to me.
Does anyone have words to offer in support or rejection of 10-meter rigs offered through CB channels?
Thx.

Most of those rigs are optimized foe AM and not SSB. They will be very lour and are wide as hell. They will not work will for SSB use on 10M. They will be too spread out. Also, many of those rigs are illegal, which is a whole different argument.

I would look at the HR-2510 and its Radio Shack sister radio.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »

Crap. This is an old thread.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

i made stateside contacts from Kuwait as a 9k2 with the uniden 2510 and all over europe.

You'd be surprised by how much having a prefix like
that will "improve" your signal!

73, Ken AD6KA  ex 5R8GQ
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

The Uniden HR-2510 is almost identical to the Radio Shack HTX-100, except it is all mode with a greater frequency range.  IMHO they are both superior to the Ranger units.  Both work remarkably well for inexpensive radios.  You can often find them used for around $100 to $150.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »

Don't do it unless you want to waste money.  Those "CB convertible" rigs aren't as selective or sensitive as HF rigs are.  If you're only going to operate 10 meters, try to lay your hands on a Radio Shack 10 meter FM rig, or get an older used HF transceiver.  You'll be happier in the end, believe me.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: