Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soil Conductivity?  (Read 2013 times)
N0URE

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:48:36 AM »

How can I measure soil conductivity?
How can I apply this information to build a proper lightening dissipation ground network?

TI4/N0URE
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

Soil conductivity varies  dramatically with location and weather, so its  almost an exercise to try and measure it.  And not easy to do.  Better to  put down a reasonable ground system for your application.  For a tower,  three ground rods  connected to each leg gives good protection.   All coax and rotator wires should be  grounded or disconnected as well.

WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

Check out: Antennas by N6LF site.

This link will describe the process Rudy has for doing soil measurements

LINK: http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/measurement_of_soil_characteristics/

Soil parameter measurements at HF

"One of the basic inputs to antenna modeling programs are the ground conductivity and relative dielectric constant.  Frequently however, modelers have no real idea what their particular ground characteristics are.  It is possible to make useful soil parameter measurements at HF which are sufficiently accurate for modeling purposes.  The nice thing is that these measurements are not very difficult requiring only a very simple mechanical assembly, say a rod and a piece of screen, and an impedance bridge like an MFJ259 or similar units. The following file has a detailed discussion of this kind of measurement: ground parameter measurements, 1 MB .  I recently gave a talk at the Dayton Hamvention. Here are the slides: Dayton 2005 slides, 220 kB.

Sometimes it is handy to know the skin depth and wavelength in a particular soil.  Skin depth and wavelength in soil, 70 kB."

The actual site has several links pointing to various source docs.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:00:41 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »

How can I measure soil conductivity?
How can I apply this information to build a proper lightening dissipation ground network?

TI4/N0URE

What you attempt to do when making a grounding field is to get ground rods into and down to the area water table depth.  Ground rods--even multiple ground rods--in dry, poor conductivity soil aren't much good.  You need the moisture in the soil to make it conductive.  That is the best way to do what you're seeking to do without getting the test equipment you would otherwise need to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: