Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tripoli Libya WHEELUS AB MARS 1967  (Read 9221 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »

Anybody work at 5A1TV/ the base MARS station during 1967?   TSGT Stewart and xyl Daffy, SGT Cooper aka "Coop" were the operators I remember most.  Plus myself (5A3TG) there on TDY from AGE when the June 67 Six Day War began and they needed help to run all the H&W traffic.

Thanks to all the chow hall guys for their unending supply of  fantastic food to keep us going.
KC7NYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »

I WAS THERE IN 58.  DIDNT KNOW ABOUT MARS THEN.  DID USE MARS FROM CAHN RAHN BAY RVN AND ICELAND.  GREAT FOR GI THAT DONT HAVE A LOTOF MONEY. IT WAS THE ONLY WAY FROM CAHN RAHN BAY IN EARLY 65.  NO TELEPHONE, THAT I KNEW ABOUT.  THANKS MARS OPERATORS.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

Aha!  a bite!  thanks for chiming in.  Well. you beat me there by  a dozen or so years.  I found Wheelus a  fun place.  I think being in the semi-desert and  a very different culture had something to do with it.

Maybe I still might get lucky and find somebody who was there in 1967.  In fact Im still in touch with a guy wholived in the next door down.  Ran a few patches for him, and probably most everybody on the base.

Knew a lotta folks who spent tours in Nam.  In fact my entire AGE class was diverted there the week after I got my orders for France. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: