Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Rig Won't Transmit  (Read 11042 times)
KL2NW

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »

I upgraded to General about a year ago and have been trying to get my HF station working. I bought an Icom IC-735, MFJ G5RV Dipole, MFJ-949E tuner, and Radio Shack 25amp, 13.8volt dc switching power supply all second hand. I listened to the local traffic for a while, but couldn't get anybody to hear me. I raised the feedpoint up to about 35 feet off the ground and the ends to about 10 feet off the ground. I was then given a newer IC-718 and LDG Autotuner. The autotuner acted like it was tuning on 80 meters and said I had an acceptable SWR, but refused to tune on other bands. After resetting it, it wouldn't tune at all. I switched back to the manual tuner, but kept the IC-718. Still no luck. The SWR Meters on both tuners don't even budge when I transmit. I haven't figured out the best way to ground it yet. I've tried electrical grounds in the house, and metal stakes outside. Neither seem to make a difference. Any ideas?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »

I think I would start by verifying transmitter output and operation into a dummy load and make sure all is well there before chasing your tail more here. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »

I sounds like a microphone problem. It's not an antenna or a grounding problem.

See how much power the rig will output when running CW. It should output 100 watts. If so, a likely problem is that the microphone is not connected correctly.

KL2NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »

When I set the tuner to Dummy Load and the radio to CW, I still get nothing on the wattmeter. I tried with two different mics (one came with each radio). Do I need a key to make 100W out in CW, or will keying the mic work?
WA2ROC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »

Do whatever the instruction manual says to do.

You do have an instruction manual, don't you?

Dick Pettit
WA2ROC
Durham, NC

"All Vintage Heathkit,
All the Time"
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

When I set the tuner to Dummy Load and the radio to CW, I still get nothing on the wattmeter. I tried with two different mics (one came with each radio). Do I need a key to make 100W out in CW, or will keying the mic work?

On many rigs, you have to actually have a key connected to ket the rig in CW mode.

Read the manual and do what it says.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »

I have found only a few rigs where keying the mic in CW mode will generate a signal.
Usually you need to have a key attached.  It doesn't have to be a fancy key - just about
any sort of switch should work, or even a pair of wires that you short out by hand.

You can try putting the rig in AM mode and turning the power down to 5 or 10 watts.  In that case
keying the mic should put out a low level carrier that you can see on the meters (but don't expect
to see more than a couple watts without modulation.)

Similarly, operating in LSB or USB mode doesn't generate any output power when you squeeze the
mic button, only when you talk with sufficient modulation.  If there is anything wrong with the mic
or the settings (output power, mic gain, etc.) then you won't get much output.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

I have found only a few rigs where keying the mic in CW mode will generate a signal.
Usually you need to have a key attached.  It doesn't have to be a fancy key - just about
any sort of switch should work, or even a pair of wires that you short out by hand.

FYI, as long as there is nothing plugged into either the straight key jack or the paddle jack, one can key the TS-570 with the mike in any mode. Same for the TS-430.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »

BYU has a good idea. Try it in AM mode. A 100 watt radio is normally set for 25 watts Carrier in AM mode. Modulation brings it to 100 watts PEP.
KL2NW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »

Talking on AM does nothing. CW using microphone buttons as key (per instruction manual) does nothing. Neither shows any movement on the Watt meter on the Tuner. I tried both with the antenna and the dummy load. The up/down buttons on the mic work to change the frequency, so it seems it is connected properly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:52:23 PM by KL2NW » Logged
W7ARE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »

Don't forget on the 718, the power output level is menu driven and could be set to zero. I don't know anything about the 735, but learned that the hard way with a 718. You can key it every way imaginable, but if the power is turned down to zero, there will be no output. Just a thought.
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »

re: the used 718.

Reset the CPU to clear all programing and reset rig to factory defaults. 
Then verify that break-in (BK-IN) is set to either semi or full.  If set to off there is no CW output (handy for code pratice).  Then check the initial setup mode Key type, must be set for "ud"  to use the mike keying buttons, the default is "n". 

My 735 sometimes has trouble with the rf power slider needing to be exercised or there is no power out.

GL
KA9CCH
AB8AL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »

Put the Icom in RTTY mode and press the PTT and it should send a carrier at 100w provide as other have mentioned the power has not been turned to 0.  I second the comment about Reading the manual.

Terry
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »

If you didn't get the manual, you can download it from the icomamerica.com web site 

http://icomamerica.com/en/downloads/Default.aspx

KA9CCH
KL2NW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »

I have the manuals for both. I finally got a signal out of the 735, but the 718 seems to be dead (Tried CW and AM with proper keying, full power). I think KA9CCH was right about "exercising" the power slider on the 735. I've adjusted the tuner for good SWR, but still can't get a response. It's probably an antenna issue now. I'm going to have somebody with a general license come by with a mobile rig to see if we can talk from my driveway.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: