Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Single operators, Single Band, one call sign  (Read 2560 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:34 AM »

Contesters,

Just wandering about this one:
Is it possible for two operators to enter the ARRL International DX contest, one in the Single Operator Single Band 40 meter and the other in the Single Operator Single Band on 20 meter category, to use the same club call sign?
I guess there could be a problem with the submission of the logs. The Robot may not recognize the logs as two different logs since they both have the same call sign. The robot may reject the log that was uploaded the first and only check the log that was uploaded second.

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Best 73,
Maarten PD2R
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »

SINGLE meaning just ONE...TWO is MORE than ONE...More than one is MULTI-OPERATOR.

You would be working within the confines of the club station's defined area, hence any operation of MORE THAN ONE transmitter would result in a MULTI operation.

One transmitter, one callsign, one operator anything else is not a single operator station.

73 Ed
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:42:15 AM »

Well Ed, It's clear to me that we should use different call sings.
However, there is nothing in the rules that defines a "club station area". If we were to use separate call signs at that very same club station, things would be just fine.

When I asked this question on another forum I got a whole bunch of replies stating that we should use different call signs. The funny this was however that almost everybody had different reasons as to why we couldn't use the same call signs.

Maybe the answer to my question was pretty straight forward. The reason why it's not possible is another story all together.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:44 AM »

The rules for most contest say one entry per call sign. For example, here is the wording from the ARRL rules:

A participant may submit only one single band entry. If contacts are made on other bands, the log file must clearly be marked as Single Band in the header of the Cabrillo file.

3.1.2.2. The same callsign may not be used by a different operator(s) to generate additional single band entries.

The owners of many large stations (like multi-multis) often let multiple individual hams operate signal band (or multi-band at different times) from their station in contests where they aren't going multi-multi but the different ops use different calls.

You *can* send an entry for one band and say the other band should be used as a  check log.

So, the rules are why you can't do what you suggest. As to *why* the rules are this way, probably some history behind it.

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »

John,

Thanks for your reply. This rule was brought to my attention in a reply on another forum and it is very clear and probably the only correct answer as to why it's not possible to use the same call sign.

What I was trying to say is that some of the replies I got insinuated that my question was rather dumb. However, very few people provided me with the right answer. Most just gave me their own interpretation of the rules.

I work as an instructor at a Fire and Rescue Training Center and I learned that the only dumb question is a question you didn't ask. (although some people really push the envelope  Wink )
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »

Hi, Maarten - yes, while the Internet can be a great place to get information, unfortunately the signal to noise ratio can be quite low!

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: