Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When can I expect regular Es to begin on 6m?  (Read 6032 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »

No Es openings heard yet!  BUT I did raise my  5 el yagi from  5 (five) count 'em  5 ft off the ground to a whopping 12 ft off the ground.  So I am ready!  Let the games begin. 

Still no qsos tho. :<
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »

"When can I expect

regular

sporadic

E?"

Grin

But seriously it should be coming up..

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »

Thanks Gene.  Im looking forward to it.   Let's see.......in another 5 days, give or take.  We're getting close!

BOB
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

No significant opening yet heard in Ohio.  A few 4's from FL were popping in and out a week or so ago but not stable enough to work.

It's late this year....or was early last year!
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

No significant opening yet heard in Ohio.  A few 4's from FL were popping in and out a week or so ago but not stable enough to work.

It's late this year....or was early last year!

Not sure where your OH-Ten (as my local OH transplant buddy calls it) QTH fell in the map of a couple of days ago but I saw a large area of 6M activity (in fact very red on the map) bounded by Ohio to the north and Gulf Coast to the south, MO to west and as my retired friend from work who now lives in the panhandle of VA would say "Western 'by God' Virginia, not West Virginia" Smiley

If you haven't checked it out, watch the activity map at "http://www.vhfdx.info/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=NA&DXC=N&HF=N&GL=N" for 6M openings.

Seems that the openings are a bit late this year if one can say that. We had our first small opening N to S along the Wet Coast this last weekend. Lasted about 3 hours overall but I about beat those areas to death already so I was busy and didn't get into the fray. Saw it on the map however.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »

Today there was a fantastic opening (ok, I'm still pretty new to 6m.. so to me it was pretty fantastic!). It started off with some openings into the midwest and south. MS, FL, AR, MO, OK. A little later things started getting very interesting, I worked into the Bahamas... and then, Argentina!! WOW! I wound up working three Argentina stations!! I saw the Falkland Islands spotted but could not hear him, also I heard a station from Uraguay, but could not quite get through. I must say I was pretty amazed.
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

There was lots of activity in the West as well. I managed to work one new grid in North Dakota and there were several fairly rare grids on the air. It still surprises me how many long-time hams decide after 40 or 50 years on the air to finally check out six meters. A guy in CN78 is just one example that I ran into today.

Dave
N6ORB
CM87
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »

It still surprises me how many long-time hams decide after 40 or 50 years on the air to finally check out six meters.

Like me last year when I had bought a radio that included six. It was fun for awhile but collecting states gets boring, especially when Alaska and Hawaii are currently out of reach. (most of my 8 or 9 missing states are close in)

Grids have always struck me as a contrivance to drum up activity, similar to 10-10 numbers. As for collecting countries-- now there's real DX-- I have to admit that was just too difficult with my 2-element yagi at 24'. I worked about 10.

I'm thinking of simply tossing up a dipole for six this season....one thing I learned about the band was it takes little in the way of an antenna to make plenty of Q's.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »

On May 5 @ 2100z in central Ohio, there was a  fair Es opening to FL.  BUT, after having read the latest VHF column in CQ that said May is  not a good month for TE, I heard a band full of LU's on ssb and cw working stateside, and managed to work two of them plus  a 9Y4  who was 59+.  I also heard a C6 at +20 over 9 who had the entire US calling him.   

After 55 years of ham radio this was my  first opportunity to hear  6M TE  sigs.  The opening lasted about an hour.
Other spots from the area reported  a VP8, an OA and a CE station but I didnt hear them.  Then a few hours later there was a huge opening frorm 9 Land to the  Pacific NorthWest according to spots. 

Then the next day I saw  a Swedish station had worked into 7 Land (WA)  so some interesting things are starting to happen.

I still havent heard a great  Es opening but the TE charged my batteries!
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »

On May 5 @ 2100z in central Ohio, there was a  fair Es opening to FL.  BUT, after having read the latest VHF column in CQ that said May is  not a good month for TE, I heard a band full of LU's on ssb and cw working stateside, and managed to work two of them plus  a 9Y4  who was 59+.  I also heard a C6 at +20 over 9 who had the entire US calling him.   

After 55 years of ham radio this was my  first opportunity to hear  6M TE  sigs.  The opening lasted about an hour.
Other spots from the area reported  a VP8, an OA and a CE station but I didnt hear them.  Then a few hours later there was a huge opening frorm 9 Land to the  Pacific NorthWest according to spots. 

Then the next day I saw  a Swedish station had worked into 7 Land (WA)  so some interesting things are starting to happen.

I still havent heard a great  Es opening but the TE charged my batteries!
Well it sounds like you are excited about it and that is half the battle! 6m is definitely an interesting band and it can sound like 20m during the CQWW at times. The hardest part is monitoring the band in the off season when there is typically no propagation because there could be propagation when you least expect it. Statistically you can increase your chances but the band can open when you least expect it. Since I like to do meteor scatter I'm on 6m most of the year anyway.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »

KF6A:  not yet sure what is and what isnt meteor scatter.  I do hear some  1-4 second  signal build ups that then descend into the noise and are lost.  But at times  tend to gather themselves  and pop up, then down again.  Not sure what that is.

Is polarization a factor with meteor scatter?  Is it mostly a cw phenomenon, or equally cw-ssb?  Do the minor meteor shower events  produce much scatter, or is it mostly the bigger events in Aug and Dec?

Identifying the skip mechanism on 6M  seems almost arbitrary  to me at this point.... meteor scatter, tropo ducting, Es, multihop Es, TE ducting, and even F2.  Pretty interesting even if nebulous.

I was surprised to see the  SM-W7 and NJ-WA/BC  skip even without any strong Es.

And, yes, I love the irony of the  term "regular Es."  or how about frequent Es?
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »

The exciting part about the recent openings is that our club  has found a nice elevated rural qth for the June VHF Test and it looks like we will man it for much the  contest - running 100w to a 5 el yagi,  perhaps even equipped with a real rotator!  Wow! Talk about  going DeLuxe.  So Im hoping for nice weather and  a good day for Es. 

Throw in a grill, good food and companionship, a couple of lounge chairs, and you have the setting for a  FB weekend.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: