Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! RF Interference: to my LaCosse/The Weather Channel Wireless Wx Stn  (Read 4334 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »

Since opting for a wireless wx stn mounted 20 ft up and 10 ft away from the shack. I find random transmissions on 160-6m tend to  change my rain gage levels for 24 hr and TOTAL RAINFALL.   ie  24 hr rainfall can be 12 inches on a dry day.

Ive wrapped the dx supply around a ferrite bead with no success.   Ive moved the  wx stn as far from the rig as I can...maybe 6 ft.  No success. 

Short of going back to a wired connection between the wx stn and the  outdoor raingage/anemometer,  OR moving the outdoor eqpt further away from the antennas, does anyone have any suggestions.

Interestingly, at my last qth, the same wx stn  had no rfi problems.  But at the new qth, it does.  The rig is grounded to an 8 ft gnd rod via  about 10 ft of #8 copper wire.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »

I had a LaCrosse Wireless weather station.  I gave it to my nephew.  Every time I transmitted, I'd get over 300" (yes, 300 inches) of rain.  I would periodically (like every other day) go pull the batteries and power from the internal portion and external transmitter to reset everything.  It is my opinion that LaCrosse weather stations are very prone to RF.  

I tried everything.  Chokes, aluminum tape to shield it, repositioning it further away from the antenna.  Nothing worked.  I got a Davis.  No more problems.
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »

I guess I'm lucky. My cheapo LaCrosse seems fine near my antennas. Now only if it would indicate anywhere NEAR the correct wind speed!
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Yeah, its frustrating. 

Ive thought about stepping up to  a better unit ( the one I have cost $100) but it seems that would be in the $300-400 range, so Im hesitant.

I guess I will dig out the old phone line extension  cords and see if that works any better. 

Like the  other gentleman said, Im not sure the wind speed is very accurate either. Both the windspead and   rainfall measurements are iffy at best.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »

I switched over to wired as well.  Made no difference.  Again, I'm just reporting my experiences.  I will go on to say the problems occurred at two different QTHs.  The old QTH, I lived in a condo with an iffy at best grounding system.  The current QTH has a very good ground system.  I also have tower mounted antennae as opposed to a ground mounted vertical in the old QTH.  None of it made a difference.  That's why my nephew has it now.

Yup, the Davis - and others - are expensive.  But they do exactly what you expect them to.  All the time.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »

I have yet to see a wireless weather station that functioned reliable for very long - especially the $100 ones.

My Peet Bros Utilimaster 2000 was bought in 1998 and the only thing that has been required was I updated to the new 2100 display and improved anemometer, when they came out. Cheap, no. Good, outstanding.

Like others have said, you get what you pay for.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »

I had a $130 one about 10 years ago ( when $130 was real money!) ...wired with continual  wind speed read out and separate
read outs for everything.  Worked very well and did all I wanted.  The back up battery leaked and corroded it up.

All the newer cheap ones  combine 4-5 functions on one read out and you have to push a button 5-6 times to check them all.  Plus, the dang windspead readout is only sampled like ever 10 seconds.  Dont ask me how you get a valid  reading if you sample it  once every 10 secs!  That was a bummer.

Plus I dont believe the readout when it does readout.

Time for a quality wx stn.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

OK.  I took the plunge and bought a Davis Vantage Vue Wx stn.  Its a big step up from the old "The WeatherChannel" wx stn, and at nearly 4x the cost youd expect it to be. 

The main differences are:  the rainfall and wind speed accuracies.  The VV reads 30-50% higher, in part due to  the 2.5 second sampling time -nearly real time!   Also there are graphing options for the last 25 hours , days, months and years, for each parameter.   Etc etc. Plus the outdoor wind/temp/humidity/rainfall sensors are all built into one  shielded unit which makes mounting easy.  And its wireless range is 1000 ft.  Solar powered battery doesnt need changing for a long long time.

And so far, no rfi! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: