Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-430S: turning back on after being mothballed for 13 years  (Read 876 times)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »

I have a Kenwood TS-430S that I have never really used and has been sitting in my basement. It has been at least 13 years since I last had it powered up (as a no code tech, I was just using it as a receiver). Any suggestions or comments on how to bring it back on line? Should I have it serviced before I use it or just jump in! Sure, I will do the obvious, check for bad cables, check the power supply, etc. But it worked last time used it. I also have heard that there are parts that need to be lubricated and the internal battery surely needs replacing.

My other question is that I have a Kenwood SP-930 speaker. While not a exact match (the SP-430 would be that), does it make sense to keep that speaker or sell it and locate a SP-430? Any reason NOT to use a SP-930 with the TS-430S?

I have my tech licence now (former no code tech) but am studying for my General Licence that I plan on taking at Dayton. I want to try out HF and I am assuming the TS-430S ( with a couple of good antennas) will be a good starting place.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »

Hi
Plug it in and turn it on, if it's ok it'll work fine, if not, to the shop it can go. The speaker will do fine. Get your gen ticket, or better yet extra and jump in!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »

I'd open up the cover and look inside first.  A lot depends on the storage conditions.
If there is evidence of mice or insects, clean that out first.  If there is a layer of dust,
blow / vacuum that out as well.  If you see mold, moss, or green corrosion on the
circuit board, or other obvious problems, take care of those.

Check the output voltage of the power supply - no reason that it shouldn't still be
in good condition, but that is always a good safety check.

If the temperature got down below 0F, there could be some freeze damage to
electrolytic capacitors, though that is more common below -20F.

But chances are that, if it wasn't subjected to bug infestation or damp conditions, it
is still in pretty good shape.  Plug it in, turn it on and see how it works.  You may find
that some of the pots make intermittent contact and need to be turned back and forth
a few times to get them working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: