Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO Parties This Weekend  (Read 2994 times)
N7VEA

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:12 AM »

Lots of contesting available this weekend with the 7th Area QSO Party, the New England Qso Party, and the Indiana QSO Party all going on at the same time.  I've spent the last few days working on the vertical and the radial field, hoping to improve my signal.  Set up the contest logger and the macros... which leads me to a question.

Am I the only one who wishes there could be a little standardization in the contest exchange for these three QPs?  They happen on the same weekend every year and the advice I've been given is "just log whatever they send, send in your whole log, and let the contest organizers figure it out".  OK, simple enough for the individual contester, but oh my, the poor guys who have to sort out all the logs must be pulling their hair out.  And you throw in a few logs with county hunter contacts and the dx contest, it seems like a headache to me.

I know a couple weeks ago there were two dx contests going on, one asking for ITU zone and the other asking for CQ zone.  That was confusing.  This weekend's multiple contests seems like it could be as well.  What would it take to standardize the big area QP exchanges?  Or does anyone care?  Just curious.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:02:54 AM »

I agree. My contest logging software only does one test at a time and I would never submit a log that had many incorrect (ineligible) entries, that's just mean. I do wish they would synchronize the exchange however, if they must exist on the same weekend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:09:24 AM by AE4RV » Logged
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:53 AM »

The sponsors of each event encourage you to work all at once and send the same log to each one.  A few logging programs are even set up to allow you to do just that with no extra finagling.  The sponsors have figured out how to determine which QSOs to count and which QSOs to just ignore for their own particular scoring.  So no worries about being "mean" or sponsors "pulling their hair out."

Not sure how much more standardized the exchanges can get:

7th Call Area QSO Party
  Exchange: 7th area stations send signal report plus 5-letter state/county code
            Non-7th-area stations send signal report plus state/province/"DX" two-letter codes

Indiana QSO Party
  Exchange:  Indiana stations send RS(T) plus Indiana county
             Non-Indiana stations in the USA and Canada send RS(T) and state, province or territory

New England QSO Party
  Exchange: New England stations send signal report, county and state
            Send signal report and state/province (DX stations send signal report and "DX")

(InQP is just one state so sending the state along with county would be redundant)

Bottom line:  Get on the air and work the 1s, 7s and 9s this weekend - good luck and have fun!
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »

Good to know the exchanges are similar this time. Recently there were three at the same time and one required a serial number. I just avoided them all and chased a little DX instead. I will participate this weekend, should be fun.

Should be easy to work Nevada - the last state I need for an all-paper QSL WAS CW. Please don't ask how long it has taken...

Next up - a nearly-all electronic DXCC. Just started a few months ago and already 1/3 of the way there by the numbers, although I'm sure it gets more difficult as the easy/common ones get taken care of. WPX CW later this month will help.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »

Good to know the exchanges are similar this time. Recently there were three at the same time and one required a serial number. I just avoided them all and chased a little DX instead. I will participate this weekend, should be fun.

Should be easy to work Nevada - the last state I need for an all-paper QSL WAS CW. Please don't ask how long it has taken...

Next up - a nearly-all electronic DXCC. Just started a few months ago and already 1/3 of the way there by the numbers, although I'm sure it gets more difficult as the easy/common ones get taken care of. WPX CW later this month will help.

Yep, it surely does. I have the Mixed DXCC (via paper cards only) and with 222 worked and 200 confirmed, ready for a second sticker on Mixed. Also have 20M and PHONE DXCC via LOTW and I am desperately trying to complete CW, RTTY and 15M concurrently with 3 or less on each to go. Been there for over 3 months with a ton of QSOs in LOTW waiting others to input matching QSOs as well as a bunch of recently resent paper QSLs. It will come but it gets to be painful Smiley

Good Luck on your DXCC efforts. BTW my first DXCC took a mere 31 years to complete but I was QRT for 10 of those and the rest of the time had the ultimate in crappy antennas to use. Only in the last 3 years before I got the award did I have a station I felt was good enough to have done it a lot sooner.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »

Thanks, Gene. I never thought I'd even try for DXCC until recently, it sure is fun.

I like how you can chase DX for five hours or five minutes. Whenever I had a few minutes to kill I rarely thought of the radio - certainly not transmitting, until I got the DX bug.

73, Geoff
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:35:49 AM »

The N1MM contesting software has a module that allows you to work all three state QSO partys (Indiana, 7QP, NEQP) at once. I used it the past two years and it is great. It has all the county multipliers in, the contest sponsors will accept the ADIF output combined - you do not need to split it out. Made operating all those contests at once a snap.

The only down side is you don't get a score per contest, but that is not a big deal.

John K3TN

John K3TN
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:57:26 AM »

If any New England QSO Party organisers read this can I just say a big THANK YOU to you for the contest, in which I made my first ever US contact K1DX in Rochester...... I later went on to get 2 more to hear me with my 50w and W3EDP antenna, IC718 radio.

all the best,

Scotty 2E0OZI (formerly M6OZI and when I work out how to change my username to that I will do so!)  Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:22 AM »

Having 2 regional and 1 state QSO parties all on the same weekend was kinda interesting.

Sort of like a mini-scaled-down NAQP but different. Many individual state QSO parties seem a little "thinly spread" (especially on CW) but that was not at all the case for this past weekend's activities.

While I wasn't straining to hit the different counties as multipliers, it was a nice little review of geography and county boundaries :-)

Tim.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:01 AM »

Yes, it was fun. I thank them for having similar exchanges - that's not always the case.
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

CQ/X de NO5W allows you to log all three QSO parties, split out the logs, and then score each QSO party individually.  I've used it the last two years for the 7QP, NEQP, INQP weekend.

CQ/X also handles four other weekends that have multiple state QSO parties running.  The next update will include another multi-QSO party contest for the Alabama and Maritimes QSO parties on June 4.

CQ/X is free and can be downloaded at http://www.no5w.com/

73,  Alan  N5NA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: