Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye Flexers Bye Bye  (Read 14395 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »

---
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:16:04 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »

Bye Stan. We'll miss you (and I say that sincerely).

Let us know what you get to replace your Flex.
KJ2P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:36:39 AM »

Well, you sure sold that cruddy old bug-ridden radio pretty quick, and for a good penny! Glad to see your unhappy experience has come to an end. 
Now let the discussions of SDR in its many forms resume!
Jim KJ2P
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »

The Flex 5K has the WORST resale value of any radio I have owned in 51 years

That's misleading, Stan. If you sell any radio quickly the loss will be large... just like with a car. Since you sold it quickly I assume too that you didn't hold out for a top price.

Your highly public bashing of it didn't help either.

I think it's interesting that ham stuff has darn good resale value especially compared with most electronics. My AL-1200 may be worth what I paid 20 years ago. I'm waiting for "boat anchor" interest to develop in my kids many video games.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »

$2999?  What did you have in it?

Scanning >1000 eham classifieds for about the last month, I spotted for sale two 5000As, one 5000C, no 1500s and no 3000s. For comparison, there were several K3s for sale.

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/

Top of the line boat anchor receivers and transmitters from the 1960s and before in nice shape often go for a premium above original cost. Hammarlund prices have always mystified me... like the going rate for HQ-180s. Some sort of SWL or ham AM cult thing I guess.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »

Hey, my mother in law had a '95 Dodge Neon with 40,000 miles on it. Utterly mint except for a few superficial paint scuffs she got parking in her indoor garage around the time she turned 90. The tiny car was a deathtrap but lord was it fast. Just sold it and real cheap.

Read a story yesterday where NY police arrested two kids drag racing on the Long Island Expressway at speeds above 150 mph. One was a driving special model Neon! With that advertising her car would be worth a ton to a Long Island car dealer today.

---
Funny about all those ferrites. On your advice I spent about $30 on them at Radio Shack last week. But I doubt they'll help my CW sidetone problem. The sidetone isn't great even with the transmitter's output set to zero. About the only thing left is to try another computer. (but my current ham computer is better than most)

--
So what was in your Flex? I know you had the ATU; what about the 2nd rcvr?  They gave package discounts if all was bought together. I have neither yet.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:45:27 PM »

Unlike the nice printed manuals  from other ham companies, Flex gives you pdf's - which other manufacturers give you in addition to the nice printed manuals.

I got a nice printed manual in the box with my 5000A. Unfortunately, it was a manual for the 3000.  Huh
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »

Stan said: "I did not tell you to get your ferrites at Rat Shack. I said DX Engineering. The reason is all Ferrites are not equal."

Yeah I know you mentioned DXE. I wasn't even sure RS still sold ferrites but they had a nice selection of various sizes and I was in the store anyway. I know ferrite material is frequency specific but I assumed the RS would cover HF problems.

Anyone know the specs on RS ferrites? Naturally the package gives no clues.
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »

The RadioShack ferrites are not the ones. Mix 31 or 43 is the best.

Google CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf and RFI-Ham.pdf: a lot of good information.

PJ2BVU Jean-Claude
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »

All kidding aside, Flex 5K's are very susceptible to RF feedback problems. RF in the TX audio or RX audio. Never had a radio that was susceptible to RF before.

Being that it is a radio that relies heavily of external AF DSP processing it should come as no surprise. At last Dayton hamfest I tried to pin down Flex rep on a few issues with design and he was slicker than a greased pig trying to skate around it. Never gave me a straight answer.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »

Right, Jean-Claude.

From K0BG's website:
"Ferrite beads from unknown sources shouldn't be used. Most, like those from Radio Shack, and All Electronics, make lousy chokes at any frequency below ≈150 MHz."

http://www.k0bg.com/beads.html
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »

Highly recommended from an ex-Flex owner who has been thru the RF hell and conquered the problem with $100 of these babies...

Stan,

Put your ferrites on eBay. You'll probably get more than you paid for them.
KJ2P

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »

Yep, not a surprise. The straight answers are all here on the SDR forum on eham.net. Facts that you will never find by talking to Flex reps or Flex fanboys. Facts that the Flexers blindly ignore and would rather keep secret.  Look around, you might be shocked by what you find.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

For those readers who would like to hear both sides of the story, I urge you to subscribe to the Flexradio reflector at www.flexradio.com.  Stan would have you believe that the Flex radios are crappy.  You'll see that there are thousands of satisfied Flex owners, dozens (hundreds?) of rabid fans of the Flex radios, and dozens of not-happy owners wanting more.
You'll see  that the reflector is mainly a support group, to answer "how do I?" questions. There are also some impassioned complaints, and congratulations when a job is well-done.   Stan says he was "thrown off" the reflector because he complained.  There are many complainers, and they are still on the reflector.  I surmise that Stan was thrown off the Flex reflector because he tried to dominate it with his own opinions, like he has done here, on this unmoderated forum.
What you won't see is one lone dissenter trying to dominate the conversation.  Stan obviously has an ax to grind, and that ax has unfortunately hijacked all of these discussions on SDR.
Even after he sold his Flex, and ended his unhappy experience, Stan continues to stoke his ego by pretending to the title of "expert giver of truth".   In my opinion, he didn't get his way on the Flex reflector, so he has made it his mission to bash Flex,  probably to his grave.     
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:05 AM »

I have talked to several using Flex's on HF and they all sound good. But, I have also talked to a few that were tearing their hair out over RFI problems and dumping radios because of it.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »

I'm very close to becoming the new Stan. The sidetone key clicks have actually  worsened with the latest so-called release candidate. I've found nothing, including reducing output to zero, that helps.

Moreover, my patience with brain dead sycophants is exhausted. Once again, within minutes of the latest release, fawning owners were announcing the software to be to be flawless. Amazing, isn't it, how anyone can test such a complex radio so quickly on every band and on every mode. 

As for KJ2P's criticism, consider this from a prior post of his:
"I like it.  I'm not a CW op, so I can't cogently discuss this part of the new release."

Everyone here knows about other Flex information sources. With my problems, I check them every day in hopes of finding a fix. They're all bookmarked. It's insulting that you think we don't. Better question is why some of Flex's experts from the company reflectors have only recently learned of this group with its spirited discussion.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: