Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron  (Read 6736 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »

I to have had a hard time contacting Ameritron.  Bought a new AL82, not from factory and it was delivered D.O.A.  Believing that the transformer was the culprit I called numerous time's and got only a busy signal.  Tried E-Mail and received several responses of things to try.  They all did nothing to power up the amp.  Since then they have ignored all E-Mail and of course phone calls.   

What did they have you try??

It is very rare for a transformer to be bad. Did you measure the resistance of the transformer?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »

I to have had a hard time contacting Ameritron.  Bought a new AL82, not from factory and it was delivered D.O.A. 

I had a similar incident a few years ago Since I bought from a dealer I called the dealer. He took care of the problem in a fast manner and I never had to deal with Ameritron, instead the dealer dealt with them....

Stan K9IUQ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

This is the beauty of buying from a dealer.  After the sale, HE is responsible for seeing that the warranty is fullfilled.  Not the dealer.  Same thing as buying a car. 

The dealer wants you back and doesn't want negative feedback, in any form.  The manufacturer couldn't care less.  You are just one in many.

By the same token, when a dealer contacts a manufacturer, the manufacturer listens!  No doubt dealers have a different phone number than we do.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

I to have had a hard time contacting Ameritron.  Bought a new AL82, not from factory and it was delivered D.O.A.  Believing that the transformer was the culprit I called numerous time's and got only a busy signal.  Tried E-Mail and received several responses of things to try.  They all did nothing to power up the amp.  Since then they have ignored all E-Mail and of course phone calls.   

I agree with the other comments.  Why call the factory, if you bought it from a dealer?  It's the dealer's responsibility to make things right.

I've never heard of a bad transformer in any modern Ameritron amplifier; that would be a really big surprise.

My brand new AL-80B did have an unsoldered wire on the STBY/OPR switch which rendered the amplifier useless until I soldered it.  Of course that took about ten seconds, but I had to take all the screws out of the cover!
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »

If you have a L4B in your car what do you want with a puny Ameritron ALS-500?

Don't know about "processing"; but their phone when I have called them is busy a lot...

Carl - W9PMZ
How do you fit a L4B in a car?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »

Not sure but I think fitting it in car would be a lot easier than powering it in a car while mobile.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »

One would think the factory could sell them cheaper that the Ham stores that need to make profit on the sale.

Yes - they CAN undercut the dealers.  If they did that, their dealers would be pretty quick to complain about it, and they would quickly loose their distribution channel.  Manufacturers typically sell at "Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price".  Dealers undercut that, and everyone is happy.

Same as when you buy a car from a dealer - not direct from the factory...  The factory is not really set up to handle end user sales.

Tom - VE3CX

Very much agree.  I used to work for a company that sold theatrical/film equipment.  We used to get calls all the time asking for "factory pricing", and we'd tell them, buy it from our dealers.  We NEVER discounted at the factory, because we were only a half dozen people, at most, and all our time was occupied by building equipment and developing new.  Our distributors/dealers did all the support, sales, etc.  and that was MUCH better for us.  We'd get plenty of feedback from our distribution network about what people were asking for in terms of features, what worked, what didn't etc.  It all depends on your distribution, of course.  If your distributors are basically order takers with a warehouse, then it's not all that wonderful, but for us, it was great.  They were the ones with the relationship with the customer.  It also let us be in the role of "factory expert" if one was called for (although, to be honest, the distributors usually knew more about our gear, in practical use, than we did.. they're the ones out on the set/stage)
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »

Not sure but I think fitting it in car would be a lot easier than powering it in a car while mobile.

He probably lives in a HOA regime plan, so mailtains his ham shack along with antenna(s) in his car.  He can park in his driveway,  connect to the house electric and work the world, without a single whiner being able to do anything about it.

73 Ed W5ER
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »

Cheesy

Hey, relax guys. The equations for power aren't linear. Hello? So a Kw is only a half S unit , 3 db, below 500 watts.
The greatest gain you will actually hear or experience when using an Amp will be the first SIX db. That's a S unit on a good radio. So, that's a puny 400 watts..., but it's what Nature and the FCC say is all you'll ever need.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: