The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1x1 abuse?  (Read 2096 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:19:45 PM »

As many of us know, 1x1 calls are designated for Special Event operations.  SE's should not to be confused with contesting....  

73, Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:27:48 PM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:00 AM »

Good grief.  Need a life?
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »

There are more important things to do than to worry about siily stuff like this. Like actually recruiting, mentoring, and getting more folks to enjoy the hobby.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »

Billy,

Oh, the spelling insult really hurt. Why have you reverted to grade school insults??  

You asked a question, on a public forum. I responded, with NO insults, but, you chose to insult me about a slight spelling error?? Wow. Mighty big of you. I notice you are a General glass license..I am an old school Extra, 20WPM with NO VEC. FCC field office. No books with actual exam questions to memorize. But, hey, you are indeed the spelling expert! You win. Rite? <--circle with RED pen.

You posted a 4 paragraph rant about how folks, in your opinion, abuse 1X1 calls. First off, why does it bother you, and HOW does it affect you??!!! You might want to pursue more hobbies, or, get further into this one. Takes your mind off of worries about minor stuff.

WC4V

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:48:59 AM »

Honestly, I find 1x1's in contests more of a hinderance.  I have heard lots of people working them, asking for fills (missing characters in their call).  It just slows the process down.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:07:49 AM »

I agree.  1x1s are a pain during contests and folks are always searching for that missing letter.

One advantage that experience contesters can exploit is callsign recognition.  Everyone recognizes P40V, PJ2T, HG6N, W3LPL, and K3LR without thinking twice and know that those calls are valid calls.

People hear W6O and think, "Was that W6OX or W6OM"?

Not a good strategy.....
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »

It doesn't bother me if a 1x1 call is used during a contest. The ARRL web site says "a special event call sign could be used in conjunction with a contest if one were to occur within the call sign reservation period." The FCC regs don't mention contests either.

But as others have said, using a 1x1 is not an advantage in most contests. Too many people are going to ask for the "missing" letter in your call.

Tor
N4OGW
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »

Bill says: " I think it's important to keep ham radio within the realm of high ethical standards. And that goes for contesting. That's why I "worry" about it. "

I agree. But, that went out the door a long ago. When is the last time you visited 3800-3900 Mhz, and heard the revolting ,vulgar conversations there?? We need to begin there, and then, worry about 1 X 1 abuse. In other words, Bill, there are larger chickens to fry.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:32:55 PM »

WA8MEA blathered:

"And those are good things and the jest (sic) of my diatribe in my original message."

Of course you meant "gist," eh, Mr Expert Speller?

Or perhaps you were actually "jesting."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: