Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL VHF rules question  (Read 515 times)
K4GUN

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

I have a question about the rules regarding VHF contests and roving.  I note in the ARRL rules, there are separate categories for limited and unlimited rover stations.  Even in the individual contest rules, they mention the different classes.  Yet in the scores database, all the rovers are scored together.  The same is true of the QST articles and standings.  There is no distinction between high power stations running high power and small stations running low power.  

This brings up another point.  Rule 2.3.8 states that "a rover may not make more than 100 QSOs with any other one rover."  Rule 2.5 exempts Unlimited Rovers from this rule.  Since the scores are combined under the term "Rover", is that rule in effect or not?  

I'm just curious.  I seem to have missed this division of the Rover class before because I was only looking at the scores database.  If there really are two different rover classes, it makes it a lot easier for a new guy to be competitive without spending an arm and a leg on transverters, amps and a dozen antennas.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »

There are some new rover rules and classes that will first be unveiled in the 2008 January VHF SS.  This all came down very recently - I first heard about it Saturday.
K4GUN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:11:49 PM »

Thank you for the reply.  This promoted me to go back over the individual contest rules for the past few years.  It turns out that there was not separate Limited and Unlimited classes for rovers until the September 2007 VHF contest.  That was the first contest for which I ever submitted a log and I did it as a rover.  While it was not a serious effort for me (vertical antenna, 2 bands and only a short time operating), I am sure there was not a place to indicate Limited or Unlimited when I submitted the scores.  I hope this is because they were still working out the bugs and this will be fixed by January.

If there really are now two rover classes, I'm pretty excited.  I'm VERY new to ham and even newer to contesting but I'm also pretty competitive.  As a new guy, microwave bands are well beyond my grasp but if I'm not competing with the 10 band rovers, I think I can hold my own.  I'll be interested to see how this plays out.
K4GUN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »

I should have checked this before I posted, but I just went to the ARRL site and I see that they still don't have two rover categories on the entry sheet.  Hopefully, they will correct this before January 20.  http://www.arrl.org/contests/forms/01vhffrm.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: