Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Interface Navigator and Splitting Serial Ports  (Read 5319 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »

I have a Navigator interface and a Icom 7000.

I want to run 2 different programs that need to use the CI-V interface. It appears I need a "serial splitter" in software. The Navigator serial ports show up as hardware ports, not virtual ports. I need a program that will take the Navigator hardware serial port and make it into 2 virtual serial ports. This way I think I could share the CI-V between 2 programs

I have been googling and about all I can find is Eltima serial port splitter which I think will do the job I need.

However. It costs $100 which is too much my ham budget. Is there a lower cost solution?

Stan K9IUQ
KB1VFZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »

I'm taking a guess, but wouldn't the serial connection be a DB9 pins 2,3,& 5?
If so could you make a CI-V to DB9 and continue to a pre made serial to USB dongle?

Or did I miss this entirely?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:34:38 PM by KB1VFZ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »

I have a Navigator interface and a Icom 7000.

I want to run 2 different programs that need to use the CI-V interface. It appears I need a "serial splitter" in software. The Navigator serial ports show up as hardware ports, not virtual ports. I need a program that will take the Navigator hardware serial port and make it into 2 virtual serial ports. This way I think I could share the CI-V between 2 programs

I have been googling and about all I can find is Eltima serial port splitter which I think will do the job I need.

However. It costs $100 which is too much my ham budget. Is there a lower cost solution?

Stan K9IUQ

Two different applications controlling the same transceiver will produce collisions on the CI-V bus. If both applications fully implement the CI-V protocol's collision-detection-and-retry procedure then this won't be a problem, but there is still the possibility of one application being confused by receiving a response requested by the other application.

If one of the two applications is purely passive, meaning that it only observes the transceiver's responses without ever issuing commands of its own, then such a configuration will work if the passive application is not confused by the commands sent to the transceiver by the non-passive application.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:34:31 AM »

Or did I miss this entirely?

Yes. The Navigator uses an USB connection and makes the comports in software.

Stan K9IUQ

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:41:17 AM »

Two different applications controlling the same transceiver will produce collisions on the CI-V bus. If both applications fully implement the CI-V protocol's collision-detection-and-retry procedure then this won't be a problem

Basically what I want to do is run Logic 8 logger and Fliidigi or another digital program at the same time. Both these programs want the freq (rig control) of the radio for full functionality. I think Logic 8 is passive, it just needs freq and mode for the log.

It is doable, I have downloaded Eltima's demo and it works fb. The only problem is the program is $100 and it just is not worth $100 to me. $30 or so yes, but $100 is just too much for this ham.

Stan K9IUQ
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »

i havent tried it but looks like VSPE (Virtual Serial Ports Emulator) might work...

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

32 bit version - FREE

just my 2cents and with inflation worth even less  ;-)

Paul K3sf
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

i havent tried it but looks like VSPE (Virtual Serial Ports Emulator) might work...
32 bit version - FREE

Paul, Thank you, Thank you. This looks like exactly what I need. I need the 64 bit version which is $25 but it is a big difference from $100.

Thanks again, I really appreciate..

Stan K9IUQ
UPDATE - I bought the VSPE and it works great. Exactly what I was looking for. The serial port can be shared by 4 clients. I tried it with 3 and it works fine. Very easy to setup.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:28:33 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: