Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replies to Classified Ads...  (Read 2049 times)
W4MRH

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »

I recently posted an ad stating that I have two 2m mobile radios for sale.

The physical and operating condition of the radios was clearly stated.

The accessories that come with the radios were clearly stated.

The asking price was clearly stated. 

I have received 22 replies to the classified ad to date. All but one were asking about the standard features of the radios(output power, pl tones, microphone style, memories, etc.). Every single reply offered a lower price varying from slightly less to insultingly low(one person actually offered $15.00 Shipped for Both Radios!) Not only that, but only one person Asked if I would take a lower price, the rest Stated that they are Willing to pay "X" amount.

I'm used to lower offers on things I've posted for sale over the years, but give me a break. Also, Noone lists every single feature of the items they post for sale, the ads would be huge. Google is your friend! Eham reviews aren't bad either.

I don't know if this is the place to post this or not, but I had to vent!

Sean-W4MRH

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »

Hi Sean.  That's why I NEVER make offers, neither initially nor in response to a stated price.  If the price is not to my liking, I merely move on and look for what I want elsewhere.  I initially got sucked into that "make offer" thing and often got anything from insulting comments to no respone at all (which I also consider insulting).  He**, I'm NOT a "horsetrader".  I usually have NO idea of going prices for ham gear.  I only know what an item is worth to me for my intended application.  If that offends someone, I'm sorry.  That was certainly NOT my intention but that does not change the fact that I DO KNOW how much I will use the item, HOW I'll use it and HOW it will benefit me.  Therefore I DO know what I am willing to pay for it. 
As for specs., it depends in large part on what it is you sell.  For newer or very popular vintage items, yes, the specs. are available online.  For many of the obscure, older items that I'm interested in, THEY SIMPLY ARE NOT.  So, if the seller doesn't give me the information I need to make a decision, again, I just move on.  My attitude with ham radio is basically, "I've lived without (this item) for, going on, 70 years; I can live without it for whatever time I have left if need be.
So, I hope I've given you a little bit of insight from the buyer's perspective.  As the saying goes, "There's always two sides to any story".
73  Tom DGN
W4MRH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:59:21 AM »

Tom,

Like I said, I'm used to lower "offers" and have no real problem with that. I am normally willing to horsetrade. It was the context and attitude of the replies that irked me. As if to say "I will pay this and you Will take it". Besides, I did Not state "make offer" or "OBO" in my ad. As you said, they could have just not replied if they weren't interested at the price. I do not send rude replies or just ignore inquiries. At worst, I say that I am unwilling to negotiate the price. As to information on the item, it is simply impossible to list all of the features in an ad because the ad would then be huge. You have a point about rare or obscure items, but this doesn't apply to the rigs I have for sale. To be honest, it took 22 (24 as of this morning) replies of this nature before it irked me enough to speak out about it.

Thanks for the reply,
Sean-W4MRH
VE4EGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »

One trick that has served me well in the past is "$price FIRM".  Mention it at least twice in the ad, in all caps.  You're still going to get a few people trying to haggle anyway, they feel obligated if the price is higher than free, but it won't be 91.7% of the responses at least.

I used to think you needed an elaborate setup to work DX, then I made a QSO 3,000 miles away using a dipole 8ft off the ground in the middle of a forest.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »

Not too long ago I had items for sale and sold as priced. Before I had mailed them off to the buyer someone emailed me and said he would buy them but I must meet his pricing as my price was "preposterous" or similar. I replied that I had sold them for the listed price, but I did include a url where he could dl the items online for free.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

:-)   My My, whatever happened to those wonderful horsetrading days!!!  Have you ever been to a hamfest?  Haggling is the American way!  If done in a good spirit, it's fun!  Oh well.

Let me ask a more pertinent question.  Have you ever seen something for sale, considered the price too much and then later found that the seller sold the item for less than the advertised price?  If you haven't then it's possible that you just 'hatched.'

If you want a fixed amount, use "Price firm" in the ad which is what I do..... just don't respond  to offers that are lower. But keep their information (name, phone number, etc.) just in case you don't get your asking price and REALLY want to get rid of an item.

Don't be insulted by ridiculously low offers..... just ignore them.  The reasons you get these offers are legion.  Don't even try to figure it out.

As for those who find it necessary to ask about unlisted features; sure they should research for this information.  But if you want to sell something then part of the process is putting up with these kinds of people.  I've always felt that tolerating BS is part of the price to get rid of something.  Like a garage sale.  That will try your patience to the limit!

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »

I've always felt that tolerating BS is part of the price to get rid of something.
Yep. And doesn't it seem like there's someone who wants to
TRADE you something completely unrelated for your item? I had a used older 2m HT
for sale and got an email asking if I would take an Antron CB antenna in trade,
from a guy in another state!
73, Ken AD6KA
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »

"Don't be insulted by ridiculously low offers..... just ignore them."

As stated above; one of the reasons I don't make offers.  In my opinion that's just plain rude.  At the very least, just respond with a polite "No Thanks".  Its still appropriate to be civil toward one another. 

"I've always felt that tolerating BS is part of the price to get rid of something.  Like a garage sale.  That will try your patience to the limit!"

With that attitude, you couldn't sell me a pound of pure gold for a nickel.  Where did you get such a negative attitude toward people?  Is it really that painful for you to be kind and friendly?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »

Don't be insulted by ridiculously low offers..... just ignore them.  The reasons you get these offers are legion.  Don't even try to figure it out.

I was a "seller" at the flea market at the Dayton Hamvention in 1988 (I remember the year clearly, as it was the last time I had a space and sold anything at Dayton) and one item on my table was a Drake TV-1000LP low pass filter.  I had tagged it at $35.

A guy picked it up and carefully inspected it, smelled it, fondled it, and asked what my lowest price was.  I said, "$35."

Same guy came back the next day and inspected it all over again and pleaded with me to sell it to him for $25.  I said, "No, I think it's worth $35."

On Sunday as I was packing up (this filter still wasn't sold!), the same guy came again and asked if I lowered my price.  I said, "Go ahead and take it, it's free."

Believe it or not, he replied, "I'm going to look around some more."  He didn't take the filter.

You can't please some people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: