Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of words?  (Read 6638 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »

When did "loose" become the spelling for the word:"lose" ?  Loose means unrestrained while lose means to no longer posses something. 
When did "there" become a stand-in for "their or they're"?
Why are "site, sight, and cite" used interchangeably?
While anyone can make a typo or make a spelling error many of the mistakes that appear on
these forums indicate a failure in education (and this permeates the internet and is not just
on eHam). 
On TV these days Less has replaced fewer almost completely (fewer is for things that can be
counted as fewer days and less is for things that aren't countable as less mashed potatoes.
How long will it be when English is no longer spoken in the USA?  (It is pretty much not
written already).
Allen
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »

WEEK  when they meant   WEAK
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »

Movie recommendation: Idiocracy
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

"Alot" or "allot" for the words "a lot".  Alot is not a word, unless you're referring to a village in India.

Vince

Vince
KF5ER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »

How about 'Armature radio'.  Incorrectly spelled or just plain dumb?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »

I have some sympathy for bad typing - I am certainly very guilty of that most of the time. However, I would disagree on one point - 'American' is not 'English', or perhaps I should say that 'American English' is not 'Queen's English'. Which can explain spelling differences.

But the phenomena of which Allen writes is by no means confined to the US. There seems to have been a general 'dumbing down' of education in the Western world in thae last 30 or so years. One thing I do find irritating is when I do a paper for conference and submit it for employer's approval, it always gets changed to use short sentences, and there is no longer correct English punctuation used with colons and semicolons.

The real 'hackle raiser; is the joining of sentences with commas!
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »

I never mix up "loose" and "lose". However, due to old age, I occasionally at least start to use the incorrect word out of "there", "their", and "they're".

Part of it may be an addiction to autocorrect in word processing programs. I grew up without them, and had to learn to spell.

One strange things about my spelling is that I usually spell out "catalogue" rather than the more common "catalog". I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure how "right" it is, I guess I'll go look it up and see if it's something I have to work on.

That last sentence reminds me: A lot of people interchange "its" and "it's".

I guess I'll start correcting people when I get a little older and more curmudgeonly. Or, if they make a really stupid argument and I want something extra to blast them with.  Grin

-- Tom
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »

Ditto to all the previous posts.

My personal gripe is people who put an apostrophe in plurals. With one or two exceptions, the apostrophe is only used to indicate possession.

Then again, since the school systems have essentially abandoned the teaching of spelling and grammar in the elementary grades, what can the intelligent and literate writer expect.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VE4EGL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »

My personal gripe is people who put an apostrophe in plurals. With one or two exceptions, the apostrophe is only used to indicate possession.

Oh, I thought it meant "look out, here comes an S!"  Grin

My pet peeve is when "your" reading "you're" email and it looks like this. 

I used to think you needed an elaborate setup to work DX, then I made a QSO 3,000 miles away using a dipole 8ft off the ground in the middle of a forest.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »

Irregardless guy's, FWIW I like this one alot to:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »

I can't respond to Alan's post since he misspelled possess and is not good enough for me now. I'm not a grammar nazi but the frequent use by some of text messaging abbreviations that leave out all vowels is particularly annoying.

Lazy speech and writing don't conserve bandwidth or time; instead they take more to communicate the same idea or fail to communicate it at all.
K7NI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »

I'll admit that it bothers me when people use then instead of than or quite instead of quiet.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »

Alot is explained here:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »

While anyone can make a typo or make a spelling error many of the mistakes that appear on
these forums indicate a failure in education (and this permeates the internet and is not just
on eHam). 

The misuse of apostrophes is the worst. Right up there with all caps for "HAM", as if it were an acronym.

I think I know where all this sloppiness comes from. I don't think it's a failure of education; these mistakes are not new. What's new is seeing them.

Before the internet, sloppy stuff rarely made it into print. There were editors and proofreaders looking out for all these mistakes, and either fixing them or sending the mistakes back for the author to fix. Or they simply didn't publish something because the mistakes were too bad.

The result was that you just didn't see mistakes like "loose/lose" more than once in a blue moon - if ever.

The Internet allows almost anybody to post almost anything on almost any subject - usually without any editing, review, proofreading or other control. So you see a lot more mistakes.

Worse, people see those mistakes and don't recognize them. Some actually lose the ability to tell the difference, because they see the uncorrected errors so often.

73 de Jim, N2EY-
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »

Dave Barry tackles apostrophes and my personal pet peeve, inappropriate quotation marks:

-----

Dear Mister Language Person: What is the purpose of the apostrophe?

A. The apostrophe is used mainly in hand-lettered small-business signs to alert the reader that an "S" is coming up at the end of a word, as in: WE DO NOT EXCEPT PERSONAL CHECK'S, or: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ITEM'S. Another important grammar concept to bear in mind when creating hand-lettered small- business signs is that you should put quotation marks around random words for decoration, as in "TRY" OUR HOT DOG'S, or even TRY "OUR" HOT DOG'S.

-----

In many instances, TRY OUR "HOT DOGS" is completely appropriate, and even useful as a warning.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: