Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter call frequency  (Read 17105 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »

Hello out there, I had a strange thing happen to me the other day. I was on 10 meters and decided to try to see if anyone was listening. Normally I almost never hear anyone on 10 meters. Anyway I put my transceiver on 28.400 MHZ the designated call frequency. I listened for about two minutes to make sure the frequency was clear. I heard no one on, so I put out a short CQ. When I returned to receive some operator said in a sarcastic and annoyed voice "this frequency is in use old man" no call sign or any other message. I was surprised, but immediately stopped transmitting on this frequency. The 10 meter band has a ton of bandwith and I started to think how come someone was reserving the call frequency. I thought this frequency was for calling and after establishing a contact, you change frequency's for your QSO. I know that no frequency is Private and anyone with a license can use any authorized frequency, but I also know that certain frequencies by agreement of the amateur community are designated for certain use, for example call frequencies on 10 meters USB of 28.400 MHZ and on 6 meters,USB 50.125 MHZ. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to arguing on the air, so I stopped using the 10 meter call frequency and switched to another. Was I wrong to not ask before transmitting, if the frequency was in use, as I do on most bands when I do not use a call frequency? What is the protocol for using a designated call frequency?

Thanks,
73s
Barry K2OWK 
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »

There is some self-appointed LID who hangs out at 28.400 as if he was the guarding angel of all things amateur. He has done the exact thing to me on a dozen occasions. Best bet? Ignore him.

By the way, I look at people like him as "real hams", if you get my meaning.

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »

I guess 28.350 used to be the calling freq, now its 28.400. I also read that there really is no established "calling freq" per se...although I'm likely wrong on all of that.

I call on .400 and then switch to .350 and call there if I don't hear anything.  I've never had someone give me grief over it, but this guy sounds like a prick and is best ignored.  I assume he's never actually identified himself?

Also: I personally only deem the freq "in use" if I hear either side of a convo within 5 minutes of quietly listening.

And its not arguing with someone if you simply pretend they aren't there Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:49:29 PM by KB1TXK » Logged

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

There is some self-appointed LID who hangs out at 28.400 as if he was the guarding angel of all things amateur. He has done the exact thing to me on a dozen occasions. Best bet? Ignore him.

By the way, I look at people like him as "real hams", if you get my meaning.

How do you ignore him? Do you keep calling until you find a QSO and then QSY? Or do you QSY immediately?
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »

Do you keep calling until you find a QSO and then QSY?

Would that be wrong, if the frequency was actually not in use (and some dolt was "reserving" it)?

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »

Do you keep calling until you find a QSO and then QSY?

Would that be wrong, if the frequency was actually not in use (and some dolt was "reserving" it)?

Well, I'm not entirely sure, that's why I'm asking. Remember, it's possible there are people on that he can hear, but they can't hear you. It's also possible there are people on that can hear you, but you cant hear them.

I usually take a 'frequency is in use' at face value and QSY immediately. But, yeah, sounds like you probably ran in to the troll Alan is talking about. What is the best way to deal with such a lune?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:07:32 PM by AE4RV » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »

If you want to respond to a-holery with a bit of douchebaggery the obvious response is to QSY up one to 28.401 and start calling CQ.

You moved off the dudes frequency, right ?

BTW: Life is to short to waste any of it on anal retentives building castles in the air....................  Cool

Never change a password on a Friday                
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »

The 10m band is starting to open regularly.  Forget about the idea of a call frequency.  It isn't needed, even if it was somewhat useful in the doldrums.  Just avoid 28.400 entirely. Some people have decided that 28.400 is quasi-official calling frequency instead of a "place where activity tends to start" even though this is not a typical thing to do on HF.  They will get all grumpy and there's no reason to subject yourself to that.

So don't use it.  Just call anywhere in the 10m band besides +/-3kHz of 28.400 and people will find you.

The idea of a calling frequency is very useful for bands that open sporadically, but once you know the band is open, trying to use the calling frequency at all, even to CQ is just a recipe for conflict.  

Calling frequencies should be for bands that are usually dead and that currently seem dead.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

Sounds like we have to have a nighttime net on 28.400 with this group. I'm in !
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »

I agree with the position that a so-called calling frequency is not needed now on 10 meters. The concept of calling frequencies popped up years ago on the VHF and UHF bands where activity on AM and later on SSB was sparse. People wanted to concentrate most activity -- particularly the calling of CQ -- on a single frequency to maximize the odds that someone would hear them and reply. That made sense and worked reasonably well.

I've been on the air a long time and never even heard of a 10 meter calling frequency until the most recent sunspot minimum. Actually, when the sunspots had all but vanished, transferring this VHF/UHF practice to 10 meters made sense. But now that the band has awakened because the more active sun -- and is going to remain rather active for the next few years -- the calling frequency concept really doesn't make as much sense anymore.

Rather, operate anywhere your license allows and call CQ. Use the big tuning knob on the front panel (unless you have a Flex) and tune the band in search of adventure, exotic call signs, even more exotic lands and enjoy. In that manner, the issue of whose frequency it is just ceases to be a problem and those who aspire to be frequency cops on 28.400 will be left holding an empty bag.

73, N4KZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »

I don't just "listen" for minutes and then call CQ, ever.

Always simply ask, "Is the frequency in use?" and if no reply to that can be heard, then call CQ.

In the example sited by the original post, when someone came on to say, "The frequency is in use!" I'd have immediately replied, "Sorry, who is this?  I'd like to join."  Takes three seconds to say that, and then you find out who it is.  If he never replies, I'd say he's a troll and just ignore him entirely.

To me, 28.400 is just another frequency.  I couldn't care less if someone sits on it all day.  Now and then when the band's really open if I'm the "first one" to use 28.400 (that I can hear), I might run 50 contacts in a row on that frequency.  So what?  When the band's really open, there's activity all over the place.

When the band is closed and only local tropo can be worked, 28.400 might be a nice place for people to gather.
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »

I will tell you what I think happened and I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
 When you tuned to the calling frequency a QSO was probably in progress and since it is sporadic "e" season, you were not hearing the guy you transmitted on top of because he very well could have been in your skip zone. The guy that told you the frequency was in use was probably 3-4 states away and was able to hear you and the guy he was working.
 I have had that to happen to me on numerous occasions during "e" season. Especially when I am working some one who likes to talk for five minutes straight before turning it back to me. What I find is that the guy I am working is a few states away and the person calling cq over him is in the same state or close by, to the guy I am working but they can't copy each other.
 It is always good to ask if the frequency is in use because it may very well be. You can only hear one side of the qso alot of times!

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »

Hello again, I just wanted to let the forum know I worked California and the Dominican Republic on 10 meters today. I stayed off 28.400 and used 28.405 and 28.475 with no problem or interference. With the band open like it is now, I will use any frequency that is not in use. This band has a very wide bandwidth that should accommodate all users.

See you on 10.
73s
Barry K2OWK
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:19:31 AM »

Good to know someone is vanguarding the calling frequency  Cheesy
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »

There is no 10 meter calling frequency.
However, be advised that unlike the lower HF bands where you can usually hear both sides of a conversation, the upper bands are not the same.  It is very likely you will only hear one side.  So if you get a response to your "is the freq in use?", just shift 3-5 khz off and try again!  Yet another reason to use a beam antenna.
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: