Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contests ruin good people  (Read 2549 times)
W0PML

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

You can contact 50 Amateur Operators in a row and you will get 50 kind, courteous hams who will be happy to visit with you, yield the frequency to you, and generally help you in any way they can.

Then contests come up and a dark hood falls over the heads of those same 50 hams and they morph into the most discourteous, nasty people with no regard for other operators, either in the contest or not.  "TAKE NO PRISONERS" seems to be the order of the day.

I have no problems with people who like to operate contests, unless they move onto frequencies already in use with no regard for those already there, who loudly inform all who can hear that they have as much right here as anyone else.  I'll bet these same people driving an 18 wheeler would gladly run over you and your compact car because you were driving in the lane they want to use.

Contests seem to act like a narcotic on some people.  Everyone doesn't fall into this category but all of those who do, seem to be on the same frequency I'm operating on. (:->)
N9XCR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 10:55:50 PM »

I take it you tried using 40M tonight? lol
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »

Contests seem to act like a narcotic on some people.

I agree and it can affect me also.

Contests are here to stay; there are other bands you can move to if you want.  Just keep busy until Sunday night then it will be over.  You will live.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »

Why bother with a contest when all you do is obtain a call and give a "5/9". How the heck is a contact giving a 5/9 signal report when the calling op has to ask for a call 3-4 or 5 times. The contest is for the birds if there is bogus information in the log. All the competitors should be D/Q for submitting a bogus log.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »

The point is not the signal report, it's the contact.

As for bogus information, how do YOU know any logs contain bogus information?

If contests disturb you so much, turn off the radio until the contest is over or go to 12, 17 and 30m for the weekend.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA9YA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

The ones who complain about contesting and DX’ing tend to be the lids who like to jam the contesters and DX’ers.
They complain about not having any space for their stupid nets or idiotic bagchews. Yet you hear very few of them unless the band opens. Then they show up in force and move to with-in a KHz of the DX’er then complain that it’s the DX’ers fault.
They bitch and moan about contests. Yet there are very few contests that take up the entire band.
Instead of bitching…just move to the WARC bands when the contest is running.
They would just rather bitch and moan.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »

Don't like contests........TOUGH, they ARE here to stay

Don't like contests....Go to the WARC bands or better yet, go wash the car, rake the leaves, walk the dog, take the old lady out to dinner, go see the kids/grandkids or whatever.

Whining and complaining is NOT going to change things.

Don't like contests,
petition the ARRL, CQ Magazine, the individual radio clubs around the country that sponsor contests to quit sponsoring them, oh, and lets NOT forget the numerous amateur radio societies around the globe that sponsor contests.

Petition the IARU/World Administrative Radio Council headquartered in Geneva to ban contests globally.
Oh wait, there is a WARC convening in the next few days, so you will have to wait 4 or 5 years.

Get busy NOW, you have a bunch of letter writing to do to get on the agenda for the next WARC.

Contesting brings LIFE to dead amateur bands, I would rather have gobs of activity from a contest instead of listening to BillyJoeJimBob on a net or a ragchew complain about his goiter, his prostate, his wheelchair, his oxygen bottle, his latest operation, his doctors appointment tomorrow or next week, or his WHATEVER the current complaint might be.

For the last 2 days, 10-15-20-40 & 80 meters have been jammed with activity from all over the globe, listen over the next 10 days, and all you will hear is the same olde-same olde crappola from the nets and ragchewers.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:41:34 AM »

Hey why don't we act like good hams and respect everyone's space?

Case in point... I'm a DXer and not going to participate in that nightly ragchew on 1850kHz ... but they're there, loud, every night.  Anyone on the east coast can hear those guys.  

They're sitting there talking and an OM8 fired up a CQ Contest on 1849.5... OK, well, just because U.S. stations can hear the ragchew doesn't mean the DX can... fine.  The EU are mostly working EU anyway...

But then big gun U.S. contest stations started coming back to the OM8.  I know these guys can hear the roundtable on 1850, because like I said, EVERYONE can...

I'm sure it's a simple trick to hear through them well enough to hear some DX, even I could hear the OM8 in there on my little flag... but the contesters absolutely should not be calling there...

The crew on 1850 just sat there and laughed and said, "well, I hope he can hear through us" and just kept chatting away, as they're allowed to do.

Like I said, no great love for those holding down the same frequency night after night but it's not like these guys were waiting silently for some contester to come on 1850 and then chasing them off.  They were engaged in a roundtable QSO and some ops from some major contest stations intentionally QRMed them.

- - - - - - -

If the tables had been turned and no one was on the frequency currently, I would be in here defending the contesters because I know that some ragchew/net groups lie in wait and maliciously interfere with contest activity to defend an empty unused frequency, and that's not OK.

But these guys were just talking, like they do all the time... and they could have moved to 1853 or whatever, but why should they have to?

There's an imbalance.  Contesters can easily make contest QSOs through a ragchew.  Ragchewers can't have pleasant QSOs through a contest.  Just leave them the hell alone if you're in the contest and they're already talking on some frequency.  

Ignore that multiplier for the sake of *politeness* and *public relations*

Don't give the groups that do idiotically defend their god-given frequency any fodder for their rants.

If everyone ignores the weak station under the ragchew, ou'll pick him up later on... when he MOVES because his run frequency is NOT PRODUCTIVE.

Hams first, DXers or contesters second.

And, if you have spent every night for 50 years on the same frequency and you turn on the rig and there's someone calling CQ Contest on it... well, that's a great chance to go ahead and explore new frequencies.  You have no right to chase them off the frequency.  If you're waiting for your friends, go up or down 3kHz... they'll find you.

After the W2 that presides on 1850 signed off I heard him making some QSO's in the contest... try that!  It's fun!

Hams first, ragchewers second.

- - - - - -

Both sides need to stop making mean-spirited pronouncements about the other.  There's room in this hobby for all of us.

What's it matter what people are talking about?  The guys who talk about their health problems are old guys and ham radio ragchews with their old buddies probably greatly enhance their quality of life... staying active, staying in contact with old friends... if it was your father or grandfather on there wouldn't you want people to avoid QRMing him?  

I read a touching comment on the TowerTalk reflector from a guy whose father couldn't operate anymore because he couldn't make it up and down the stairs, and offered to give his station to the son.  The son decided to move his father's station upstairs into a walk in closet instead so he can keep operating.  I might imagine that news of the father's reduced mobility might occasionally go out over the air... but how is that a bad thing?  A long time ham gets to keep operating!  Maybe he'll do CW DX instead of ragchewing, but think about it...

I prefer DXing and contesting myself but even at the ripe old age of 28 I can imagine just wanting to sit there and talk to some ham buddies around the eastern half of the country on 160 SSB for a couple hours... guys I knew back in my hometown before I moved away... whatever.

Maybe 160 is best for local ragchews... who knows?  There's certainly not a WARC band that will do the trick.  Maybe 60m will but the quality of the ragchew will be much degraded with 50W ERP instead of 1500W ERP.

Should I have to constantly slide up and down the band to avoid the contest if that's what I want to do with my Saturday evening?

Turns out, it's not what I want to do with my ham radio time, but there's no way I'm going to call the station on 1849.5 when there's a ragchew on 1850.  It's rude and stupid.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »

Very well stated Dan...73
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »

The ARRL could put a stop to a lot of this crap.  Just designate a small portion of each band for the contest.  Any contacts outside of that portion are void.  It would leave some for everyone.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:46:55 PM »

"Just designate a small portion of each band for the contest. Any contacts outside of that portion are void. It would leave some for everyone."

I wonder who are these mysterious contesters who appear from nowhere to take up all the bands for a few weekends a year?

Oh, right, they're the guys who stay out of your way all the rest of the time.  They sit silently and work on their stations.

The bands are full for a reason on contest weekends.  It's because licensed hams want to operate the contest.

Think how crowded it would be if that many people were on the air all the time!

Contests are popular enough to fill whole ham bands.  Why should they get squished into part of one?

They just should not interfere with *existing* QSO's.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »

Some like me never contest. I understand though why so many of you worldwide enjoy these activities. For me ragchewing is what i enjoy, when i work dx it's a ragchew contact with them too and they always enjoy it. This past weekend there were thousands working cw i just copied a little and never made a contact simply because for me there's more to amateur radio than that kind of a mess.

Reading back up the thread and looking at various comments, do any of you ever stop to think there's maybe someone that works six days a week and twelve hour shifts like me? I usually get one day to relax and play with my rigs. I never know when there's a contest going on because i don't care to check on such activities. I never take part in them. Your contest may be taking place at a time i've not been in the shack in quite some time. The attitudes here are shameful. I see some commenting on talking through someone in a ragchew.

I don't have to go to the warc bands as some of you suggest. On your contest day usually at present time the warc bands are dead. You don't own the bands as some of you believe and act just because you're a contester. I've been in qso when a contest starts and had stations immediately be on the freq i'm on and "attempt" to call cq contest right there where i was...i just tell those folks there's no contest going on right there at that time. I see the word jamming being brought up. I'm not jamming you, you're attempting to jam me and those in qso with me.

I can promise any of you when it comes to a pissing contest i have two alphas and one henry 5k export with two 1200A7's and several sky hooks, i can maintain a clear freq anywhere i operate...but why does it have to be this way. Why do you think you own the bands and most of you throw part 97 out the window at contest time. Notice i said "most" of you.

I can't put my life on hold or my time either, and i should'nt be ask to, just because you want to contest.

I'm sorry if my little space of time on any weekend comes during one of your contests but my time is short. I'll enjoy what i like in amateur radio and you will just be forced to talk on either side of my freq which is completely ok with me and part 97.

Think about my comments before your eyes roll up in the tops of most of your heads and the cq ss or cq contest starts to puke out of your pie holes. There's many like me that have the misfortune of only being allowed that little space in time on a weekend to enjoy amateur radio. I will enjoy my part of this hobby. I can do it "around" you or "through" you if you try to take over my freq...and no i don't have to go to the dead warc bands either to do it.

Nuff said!

--... ...-- John WR8D

N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »

it does not brother me none,either qrp or contest i'm here to stay on that is if i'm not busy doing other things.i love to do contest and QRP either home or mobile.if they can't hear me on qrp that is fine with me i can always go other frq. to do qrp ,since i upgrade to general march 17 2007 this year i was happy that i upgrade !

bottom line is if you like to do contest ,great ! if not don't even brother do any contest or qrp i'm good guy love to do contest and QRP!!

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:59 AM »

And how would that work on 40?
AA9YA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »

-Why is it always “restrict where contesters and DXers can operate”. Yet the contests are only a few times a year.

Why not restrict where the nets and bagchewrs operate. Since they are on EVERY day and EVERY night on EVERY band and EVERY frequency!!

It’s because the netaholic and the bagchewer has the “I’m holier than thou” attitude and thinks the air waves belong only to them!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: