The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to find a "Mil" typewriter  (Read 22624 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »

Just found this, thought I'd pass along -

This ad from the March 1905 issue of "The Railroad Telegrapher" for a company that specializes in Telegraphy equipment (as far as I can tell) mentions mill typewriters. Also, see if you can find "73" on it:  http://vintagevibroplex.com/first-ad.jpg

It is said to be the first ad that mentions the Vibroplex key, then the brand new alternative to the pricey (and power hungry?) Autoplex.

Via: http://vintagevibroplex.com/

73, Geoff
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 06:52:36 AM »

The mills I used in the Navy in the '60s didn't have tractor feed.  They were all Royals, with blank key caps.  On some, the "F" and "J" had little tactile things so your index fingers could find the home keys if they slipped off.

Pat K7KBN

That is the Mill I used in the military between 56 & 60. No tractor feed. F & J keys marked. None of the other letters were marked. We rolled in msg forms that had carbon paper already attached. Original and 5 copies if I recall. Capt got original and the rest distributed. One copy stayed in radio room. The radio log always stayed rolled in the Mill. Message blank rolled in over top of the log. If msg was more than a page we started the next msg blank in before we got to the bottom of the first. We got our daily news off the press freqs. The news was sometimes 8 or ten pages and sent at about 30 wpm. NSS Naval station sent out wx at about 18 wpm.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »

I sent the "typewriter" story to my D-in-L.  She said "the boys has never seen a typewriter either" and got quite a kick out of the story. 

I know they have never seen a steam locomotive. 

Great story!

This was posted in 2011 on this thread.  I am happy to say that since then I was able to take all three of my grandkids to see the local operating steam locomotive.  Where they impressed? I have no idea because  I can no longer read kid's minds!
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »

We had old black typewriters, but only caps, originally had 3 bank keyboards then they bought all new machines still only caps but went to a 4 bank keyboard.

Our machines were all friction feed as we had to put in different forms on the fly, QTC, SLT, TR, SVC.   Paper log book.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »

Today there are two WWII era Underwood mills listed on Ebay.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: