Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heil Headset How to wire to Radio  (Read 2928 times)
KG4RMD

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »

I picked up a Heil headset,I think its the Traveler,I know the 8 pin plugs in to the Mic socket on the radio,Where do the 1/8 " Female and male Jack get plugged into ?  My guess is that the female jack thats connected to the mic plug is the key line and the male jack is to go to the audio jack in the back of the radio? Am I guessing correct ?  many Thanks Jay.,.,.,
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »

1/8 inch jack is for a PPT switch.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KG4RMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:51:29 PM »

And the male jack to the back of the rig audio out jack?
K7GLM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »

Male plug goes to the headphone jack on the radio, assuming it is equipped with one.

KG4RMD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

A HA !  Only strange thing,When I hit the switch it will key the rig for a split second and drop,I do not seem able to key the rig,Its a Ftdx-9000,Even when I use a 1/4 jack seperate from the foot switch the samething,I will have to do some checking .......
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »

,When I hit the switch it will key the rig for a split second and drop,I do not seem able to key the rig

Something is wrong, call Heil.

Is it the old Traveler with the small foam earpads
or the newer ones with the larger black plastic & foam earpads?

You may have compatibility issues causing the PTT problems.
If you have the proper adapter, there is NO REASON a foot switch
should not key the rig when plugged into the PTT/Foot Switch Jack.
Does your 8 pin round mic adapter have a piece of yellow
shrink wrap on it, designating it for Yaesu use ONLY?

If I may be so bold, why are you using such a cheesy headset/mic with a $5k rig?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »

If I may be so bold, why are you using such a cheesy headset/mic with a $5k rig?

Why does it matter? One uses what one wants to use.

FWIW, I have five HF rigs and all but the mobile have a ProSet or BM-10 on them, and I have a BM-10 for the mobile, as well, when I'm not driving. Nothing "cheesy" about Bob's products, and that included the Traveler.

You are probably right that he has the wrong adapter, though.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RMD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »

I have the correct adaptor,(yellow)It will work on the Ft-847 I have ,Head set looks like the older set with small ear muffs,Dont know why one would think its cheesy,I use the heil Gm5 currently and reports I get are all GOOD ! I want to use a headset for when the better half is snoozin,Not sure why its not happy with the 9000,will try a couple more ideas and see what happens,Thanks for the time for the replys that have been given.....Jay
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

When in doubt, Call The Manufacturer!

The best place for assistance with the problem is Heil Sound.

And yes, the 1/8" plug is for a PTT switch and the 1/4" plug goes in the headphone jack, although I don't run it that way. I put a 1/4" jack in parallel with the external speaker and then put a switch in the speaker line, enabling me to keep the phones connected at all times and use the switch to turn the speaker ON or OFF, as needed.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: