Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG purchase of S9 antennas  (Read 12576 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »

Has anyone out there had any dealings with LDG. I was going to buy an S9 43 foot antenna yesterday when what to my supprise it has been sold to LDG. I know from reviews on this sight the S9 has a 5 out of 5 rating on all who reviewed it. Will LDG keep up the S9 quility and the original S9 price (139.95 plus shipping). I have never had a dealing with this company and see no reviews on its products. The S9 will not be avalable till the end of this month. I will just have to wait and see if the product is still sold at the original price. If it is I will have to take a chance that its quility will remain. If not I will have to look into DX Engeneering's line of verticals. I think DX Engineering has a pretty good reputation.

Thanks,
Regards,
Barry K2OWK
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

LDG is an excellent company.  Re. reviews... check out all of their reviews on LDG antenna tuners.   As a manufacturer of antenna tuners, and other station accessories, it's a logical step for LDG to add a quality antenna line such as S9.
N5VEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »

As an owner of a 43foot S-9, I can fully attest to it's durability and moreover it's on the air prowess.

I am sort of sorry to see that John has sold out.  Well, I guess he has his reasons.

Anyway, I also have LDG products and consider them as equals when it comes to quality and price.

I would hope that the price point will hold up at least till the end of the fiscal year.  Most things go up a little each year. Or haven't you noticed.

Hats off to Mr. Martindale for bringing to life a wonderful antenna system. Grin

N5VEG
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

The s9 is listed at cheapham.com theres about a 20 dollar increase in the 31 foot and not available till early april. I contacted LDG to try and purchase one direct and was told i had to wait, they were waiting to hear from vendors and work on logistics.
Not sure who else is going to carry them.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

I hope there is not a large increase in the price of the S9 42 foot antennas. If as indicated by W2RSA there is a $20.00 or more for the 43 foot I will buy the DX Engineering MBVE-1 which has free shipping. If there is a price increase on the S9 it will bring it into the same price range as the MBVE-1 which also has an excellent writeup in the Eham reviews, and comes with there SS tilt over mount. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the responses,

73s
Barry K2OWK
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »

Barry they have the 43' listed at $185
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »

Hmm, that might make it more attractive to roll your own, for example:

http://www.spiderbeam.us/product_info.php?info=p3_Spiderbeam%20HD%2012m%20fiberglass%20pole.html

Here are some plans for a remote tuner that I used with my 40 foot vertical when I had it up:

http://n3ox.net/projects/lowbandvert/

There probably is very little change required to use the networks with the S9 43 footer... more tweaking needed possibly for a fat aluminum one, but they'd be close. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:43:29 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

Thanks everyone, I have decided to go with the DX Engineering MBVE-1. If the S9 price has gone to $185.00 that's an increase of $55.00 without shipping. I can get the 43 foot MBVE-1 with the tiltover mount for $194.94 including shipping. It's review is just as good as the S9, and its wind survivability is 90 MPH. If LDG has this kind of price increase they will not sell many of these type of antennas as they will not be very competitive.

Again thanks for the information.

73s
Barry K2OWK
W8BS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »

Wonder if LDG will make a special base mount tuner for the S9??

W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »

Hi,

I purchased a 31' telescoping, fiberglass pole, available in black or green, from Jackite Inc. for $69.95. Inserted 31' of FlexWeave, added a Balun Design balun. Bottom line is it works great with excellent reports.

http://www.jackite.com/product_info.php?products_id=132

73 and DX,

John V47JA - W5JON  

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:38:17 PM by W5JON » Logged
K4RYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

I was in contact with LDG a few days ago and advised that the S9antenna's would probably be available sometime in April and the first ones will be sold thru Cheapham.com   As usual the list price went up to around $200.00 so the $139.00 is gone forever.
 Roll Eyes
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »

Hi,
I purchased a 31' telescoping, fiberglass pole, available in black or green, from Jackite Inc. for $69.95. Inserted 31' of FlexWeave, added a Balun Design balun. Bottom line is it works great with excellent reports.
http://www.jackite.com/product_info.php?products_id=132
73 and DX,
John V47JA - W5JON  
FB on the homebrew vert John.
$200 (+ shipping?) sounds pricey for a fiberglass vertical with a wire.
73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:08:16 PM by AD6KA » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

$200 (+ shippping?) sounds pricey for a fiberglass vertical with a wire.

People were probably worried that it wouldn't work as well because it didn't cost as much as what others were offering Grin

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3HAM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »

The price was the major factor when I bought my 31 footer way back. Also got the radial plate and mount. Can't say that I blame John K9EX for selling his business, he worked well to provide a quality low cost product for hams who may not be flush with money for megabuck pieces of aluminum. We all have to do right for ourselves. Sorry LDG, when it comes time to replace mine or parts, I'll go with alternatives. Nice job making that product less competitive in the already crowded HF multiband vertical category. I agree with the other posts saying it's just too easy to roll your own wire vertical. I don't think such a hefty price increase is justified. When CQ mag bought World Radio I didn't subscribe to them either.
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

When CQ mag bought World Radio I didn't subscribe to them either.

If CQ didn't buy WorldRadio, it planned to cease publication immediately, and all of the subscriber's money down the drain with it!   CQ was the ONLY company willing to purchase WorldRadio and protect WorldRadio subscribers as best they could.   If you didn't know it by now, WorldRadio magazine continues, only as a free online version in full color every month.

www.worldradiomagazine.com/

Former WorldRadio magazine subscribers and readers never cease to amaze me.  A company steps up to the plate to keep a magazine from folding to protect the reader's vested interest, and the company catches all kind of flak for doing so.  If you don't like to read WorldRadio Online in color, print it in black and white on your laser or ink jet and read it like the old WorldRadio.  Plus now, it's free - what more could you ask?

Don W9CW
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: