Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still Hamming at 10 yrs !  (Read 2479 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »

Hi Guys !

WOW ! it hard to believed i been hamming at 10 yrs !

Where those years gone by? since then i've learned alot over the years ! now working on get upgrade to Extra when ever that be  !

Jackie
N4MJG

Been hamming at 10 yrs !
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Hello Jackie, Congratulations on your 10 years in ham radio. I have been operating for 50+ years with time off now and then. I too am studying for my Extra Class license. No such thing when I got my license, and when it became available no additional operating privileges for it. How times have changed. I now have to study at an old age when it is hard to remember things. The old technology is easy for me the new stuff is rough. I will keep plugging along until I pass the test or just pass.

Amateur Radio never really gets old.  It will be as much fun in another 10 years or another 50.

Good luck on your Extra Class Test. I am sure you will do fine.

Regards
73s
Barry K2OWK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »

I started at age 13 and am coming up on 46 years of hamming, never inactive.

There's always something new to try, and learn.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »

Me too!

Amateur radio has never gotten stale with me either. I'll start year 25 this June!

73 Gary
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »

Year 48 for me. Not on the air much because of business travel abroad, but busy on other things for ham radio - like representing the IARU at some ITU meetings.
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »

Only year 2 for me. I will soon be 61. I started late in life with my ham radio hobby. I only regret that I waited this long to get into it.

Good luck on getting your Extra.

Richard
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »

It will be 42 years this June. Started as a Novice at 15. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »

Guys !

I was just 36 when i first got my lic. back then  Smiley

Jackie
N4MJG

Been Hamming 10 yrs !
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »

52 years come December '11.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »

Hi Jackie,

Congratulations on your 10 years!  I've been a ham for 55 years and I am having a more difficult time than you trying to figure out where the years went.

Jackie, for most hams, there may come a time when it gets a little stale; your interest will wane..... it just won't have the excitement that it has now.  As a result of this we lose too many hams.  They just slowly walk away after all the hard work they've put into getting a license and setting up a station.

When you start to see this happen this is the time to expand your interests.  Ham radio has so many facets that it really would be hard to list them.  There should be no reason to get 'bored' with this incredible hobby but it's possible.  

When this waning interest happended to me I got into building.  Now I'd rather build than operate.  When a project is finished then you can use your operating to play with it.  Then build something else.  

Others get into satellite operating, EME, certificate chasing.......

Upgrading your ticket is one of the mentioned options.  Do that.  You can even continue to the commercial tickets, which gives you a goal to achieve while learning electronics.
A carrot in front of your nose, so to speak.

Man the list goes on and on.  Again, congratulations and WELCOME!!
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:32 AM »

Everyone reaches an 'equilibrium' with any hobby.  I've hit that wall a couple of time, readjust, and then continue on.

I would have been a ham in high school, but the code kept me out.  Then kept me out in college.  Finally I learned it, and actually liked it.  Never broke 13 though.  Lost intrest in code, then it came back, mostly for technical reasons.  Even went so far as to buy a K2 for the sole purpose of getting back into code.  But then the infighting peaked about it, and I just got a bad taste and lost interest again.  In code that is.  With radio, it's just a new 'equilibrium'.  Still using the K2, but QRP SSB, and having a blast. 

Things change, go with the flow, have fun.
NM7L

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

34 years for me as of St. Patty's Day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: