Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Eimac 3CX1200 being discontinued ?  (Read 1752 times)
WR1H

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »

I have been told by several commercial communication dealers, that I deal with proffesionally, that the 3CX1200 is being discontinued. Several Military units that they service will be marked for replacement by the end of 2008 due to this.

Has anyone heard of anything similar ?
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:22:19 PM »

You might contact the Eimac division of Communications & Power Industries (CPI) in California directly  -- Applications Engineering: 650-846-3582 or even Sales: 800-414-8823 and enquire as to its future production status.

For what it's worht they still show it in their General, Communications, Ham Radio, and Industrial Heating catalogs on line, though not in theur Defense datalog.
WIRELESS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

Eimac or Richardson (Eimacs sole authorized distributor) will probably never say when in the future they may discontinue a tube.  Richardson Electronics orders all production for yearly Eimac stock, so if they don't order any, Eimac won't make any.

Eimac is suffering from the same problems as everyone else in a global economy.  If something doesn't sell, they quit making it.  Eimac makes over 80% of their revenue from digital tv tubes made exclusively for that market.  Eimac never made a lot of money from ham customer amps and probably make even less now.

I like transistor amps and I think tubes are really going through a very slow death.  I use an amp I built using 28 volt bipolar transistors.  It has worked since 1993.  I couldn't care less if every tube gets discontinued.  If my amp blows a pair of rocks, it costs me $80.  Blow up an 8877, and people cry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: