Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VoIP remote control contesting from Korea  (Read 516 times)
N3AWS

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »

I will be PCSing to Kunsan (Gunsan) AFB, Korea for a one year remote tour.  I suspect that getting the Korean license would be a chore that I likely won't have time for.  On the ARRL website there is an article about remote control of a rig using VoIP.  I already have the hardware needed and I was wondering if anyone has tried this.  I am thinking of a token effort--probably limited to 6 meters in a couple ARRL VHF contests with the rig parked on a single frequency far from the calling frequency.  

Any comments?

Jim N3AWS
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »

Check the rules carefully.

I'm sure for most contests remote bases aren't really allowed.  Usually something to the effect that "your antennas must be within 500m of your station or within your own property" or something to that effect.
N3PKC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »

I have my TS-2000, TS-480HX, IC-910H, and IC-PCR1000 all set up using HRD and Skype as shown in the ARRL article.  I've been using this system for a year now, and I've had impressive results.  I haven't used it in any contests since I'm not really a contester, but I have made quite a few satellite contacts with this setup.  I am planning to eventually get my rotators and antenna switchboxes interfaced with the PC to enable more flexibility and control.
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »

I will e-mail the Contest Branch of ARRL for an opinion on using this in their contests.

Jim N3AWS
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »

Response received from:
Sean Kutzko, KX9X
ARRL Contest Branch Manager

"Hello, James-

Thanks for your email. Remote operation during a contest is, as of this writing, still allowed. I should point out, though, that discussions on this topic are VERY fluid and opinions/rules could change at any time.

The key to operating your station remotely is that the contest data you hand out is based on the location of the STATION, not the OPERATOR. So, if you want to get on and work guys in the June VHF contest, the call and grid square you hand out in the contest need to be based on wherever your station is located, not where you are currently serving in the Armed Forces.

I would suggest you keep a careful watch on the amateur radio contesting reflectors while you are overseas to see if there are any changes in this ruling.

If you need further clarification, feel free to let me know.

Sean Kutzko, KX9X
Contest Branch Manager

ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: