Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so tell guys your take on the icom ic-718  (Read 3187 times)
KD5UDE

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »

i ran a icom ic-718 for three years then went up to a kenwood ts-480sat well this month got in a pinch on funds and had to sell it and may be able to come up with enough here after the first to buy anouther 718 icom as i live on disability and i dont draw much so money is hard for me to spend right now so what do ya'll think?
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »

i ran a icom ic-718 for three years then went up to a kenwood ts-480sat well this month got in a pinch on funds and had to sell it and may be able to come up with enough here after the first to buy another 718 icom as i live on disability and i dont draw much so money is hard for me to spend right now so what do ya'll think?

Well since you owned an Icom 718 for 3 years you know how it performs. Sure it does not have the bells and whistles that most rigs do. But it gets the job done. I used one for two years and was happy with it. I simply wanted to upgrade. I could afford it, so I bought an Icom 7000, then 6 months later I bought a FT-950.

In your case an IC-718 would be better than no radio at all, IMO.
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »

cool yeah well you know mama has already told me to go ahead and get something for now then as she knows i really want that kenwood ts-590 and she says well get it around xmas time so that will be really neat as since they came out to me that radio is very beautiful and i really like the way it looks so soon in the furture i'll be gettin one but for now i need something decent so lookin at the icom 718 or yaesu 857d depending on the amount of money to work with...
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:24 AM »

I had a IC-718 for a short while and simply HATED it !!!

Mine was loaded with all the options and a 500hz Collins CW filter....

I must say that it was probably the worst performing rig I have EVER owned.  I am a CW op and found the receiver to be very lacking in that there is no adjustment for the AGC delay, the volume control has problems at low levels and the so-called "DSP Filter" system was really lacking in selectivity and overloading.

The transmitter part of the rig seemed to be pretty good and for a SSB op, it might be a "OK" rig but for me,,,,

I got RID of it at my first oportunity and went back to TEN-TEC for my CW interests....

73's
Gary - W5GNB
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »

I've owned a 718 and never thought it was a great rig, ok, but pretty basic now and a noisy receiver.  I sold it after about 3 years and don't miss it at all.  I just bought a used Yaesu FT-450, this radio, for the money ($500.00 used) is the best bang for the buck going right now.  It is light years ahead of the IC-718 in all aspects, especially the receiver.  Lots of high end features too, including IF stage DSP.  Just no comparison to the Icom 718.  TS-480 certainly a good radio from what I can gather, but I have not owned one.  The above comments are just my own opinions.  Hope they help.  cheers.
KC9PRE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »

I have owned the 718 for 2 years. Its not fancy but it works.I put a 811-H with it and seem to do fine.The speaker is a little small.
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »

I've owned a 718 and never thought it was a great rig, ok, but pretty basic now and a noisy receiver.  I sold it after about 3 years and don't miss it at all.  I just bought a used Yaesu FT-450, this radio, for the money ($500.00 used) is the best bang for the buck going right now...

I've also owned both rigs and second the opinion that the FT-450 is a better rig for about the same price on the used market.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »

I've had an Icom 718 for years as a backup radio to my 7600.  It's been new in the box all those years.  You never know when that 7600 will crap out and have to put the 718 into service.
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »

well i got in anouther icom ic-718 today so now waitin on 75 meters to fire up so far got good audio reports as i bought it used the rig looks good and now to see what she does on a long qso! you know whats funny i feel really good about this radio as i ran one for three years and when i hooked this one up today it brought back good memory's and it feels really good to have a simple radio again! so i am ready to just sit back and enjoy some good qso's on a simple rig!
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »

The Icom 718 IS  a great starter HF rig.  Lots of performance for it's low cost new.
I see no point to adding extra filters etc to this radio.   How does that old saying go?  "Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" or something like that.  It is a STARTER quality radio.  If you want more performance, Go with a better radio.

The only downside that I would like to see  Icom fix is adding 6 meters to it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:16:49 PM by K9KJM » Logged
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »

"I see no point to adding extra filters etc to this radio."

What? It's a good basic rig. If you want to do CW or SSB on a crowded band then filters are desirable. Just like any other radio.
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:54 AM »

i agree and this little radio just gets the job done excellent radio simple and easy to use and no need to add anything. and mama has already said soon in time as she knows i really want that kenwood ts-590 and so when i do get that radio this icom will go nicely in my 84 ford 3/4 truck with the best engine ever made and my personal favorite 300/6 4.9l with automatic! plenty of room for my 718. and gonna need some advise to whats a good antenna for it bein in the truck?
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:06:01 AM »

I chat with a ham in Georgia that uses a 718 connected to a simple dipole. It sounds fine and more importantly he has a great time with it.

Richard
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »

yeah its funny here i had a high dollar rig but had to sell for lack of funds then i get a icom ic-718 and i am just as happy with it wow strange how simple things like this rig here can make you happy you know i wonder why i feel this way? with just a $600 radio, you know before my grandpa died he told me once that people way back when were happier than today and i asked him why and he said because people now are in debt more than they were back then so i guess this may have something to do with bein paid for versus bein in debt over stuff and i have heard some hams buyin their radios on credit and such...
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »

Hi,
     I have had an IC-718 for almost 6 years (same as my license).  Its my first and only rig.   It works great for PSK-31, my main mode of operation.  I added the 500 Hz filter and sometimes use it with PSK-31.   I don't think a more expensive rig will help much with PSK31, but I could be wrong.   Something better than my Fan Dipole at 30' might help, but that's another story.    Thus, the IC-718 has served me well. 

KB3MDT
Ken
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: