Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so tell guys your take on the icom ic-718  (Read 3372 times)
VK4FNRS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 04:02:09 AM »

I am using my son's IC 718 and also have a Kenwood ts520S , to be honest I preferr the KENWOOD, .

however you have used the radio before have a look at the reviews .

If it is for a short term ?maybe, but have a look around for the older KENWOODS OR yaesu'S, THEY DO PERFORM WELL.

jEFF
vk4fnrs
australia
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »

I have to agree on the Knd 520 series.  I've owned 3 of them over the years and they are great rigs still today.  If I ever see a super clean, non-smoking one for sale I would buy it. Thread  hi-jack over, sorry.
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

well i ordered a new icom ic-718 today as i sold my outher one this morning and next month i'm gonna order the sm-30 desk mic to go with it! wonderin how it will sound with the desk mic? soon to find out!!
KE5OKQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »

If you are not certain you are going to stick with the hobby the 718 makes a great starter radio.  You can find one used cheap.  I used the commercial version (IC-78) in the jungles of Peru and Colombia and it was idiot proof and indestructable.  It was more reliable then the $10,000 Rockwell Collins radio in that wet, humid environment!  That experience led me to choose the 718 as my first trasceiver.

Even though it is a great radio for the money, the receiver has its limitations.   It is fairly noisy and the blanker is not effective against powerline and pulse interference.  I quickly outgrew it.   I bought a Kenwood TS 480 HX and have been very happy with it.  It has a good receiver, robust build for the bumpy mobile environment ( I use mine in the base) and has a great blanker that suppresses electronic interference.  Best of all it has 200 watts ouput!

You dont have to drop big bucks and buy a contest grade IC 7800 behemoth.  But conversely if your going to stick with the hobby spend a little more and buy something that you will outgrow in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:59:49 AM by KE5OKQ » Logged
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »

Its been 3 months and I have not outgrown my 718 yet! But then I ride a Moto Guzzi so I'm clearly a weirdo.  Wink

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
KD5UDE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »

nah hell your not weird and i got in the new 718 and just love it works perfect now i need a icom sm series desk mic right now lol then i'll be a proffesional lol
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: