Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio recording of QSOs  (Read 2603 times)
W0TLP

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »

Does anybody know of a good way to make audio recordings of QSOs, beyond putting a recorder near the speaker?

Specifically, I'd like to record both the RX and TX directly into a VOX activated recorder.

The RX is not much of a problem, as I can just run the sound into the recording device and the speaker out the recorder. Patching the mic into the recorder to capture the TX is the issue.

Some radios have a port for this type of function, but I don't own one.

Thanks

Teak
KD0KVV
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:11:19 PM by KD0KVV » Logged
KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »

You can use a variety of options in recording and playing back audio.
Your question here is just too vague to offer any intelligent response!

List your equipment and then folks will be able to determine what you need.
Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Ten-Tec,  etc. all have various ways of offering a line
level signal that you can apply towards recording.

Are you using a computer or stand alone recording device?

Many newer rigs even have built in recording capability but have limits. They
will only record received signals and NOT play them back, and you can record voice
messages from your microphone for a few seconds and can transmit them', such as..
"CQ contest yer 5/9"......

WWW.nu9n.com and WWW.w3oz.com may offer you some information on recording
and playing back of signals.

Martin  KA7GKN
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »

Does your radio have a monitor function?

If so, you could tap off the external speaker or headphones circuit.

My IC-746 Pro has that function but I haven't tried it yet.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

How about some of the online radios (if you can hear both sides) and some sort of audio capture program.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »

Some radios have a port for this type of function, but I don't own one.

That's the problem, or the trick.

I can make great recordings of both TX/RX sides of a QSO with my rig, or any rig that has a built in TX MONITOR function.  Dozens of rigs do.  If yours doesn't, this is a lot more difficult.

You might try a second receiver, independent of your main station transmitter altogether: Tune into hear your QSO (obviously it will hear you, if it has a decent antenna on it, it should hear the other station also) and record from the headphones jack.
W0TLP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Right now I have just a Yaesu FT1900, and I don't believe that has a TX Monitor. I can attach a recorder to a scanner tuned to a VHF repeater and accomplish the recording.

I am still weighing my options for an HF rig. I am not in a big hurry, but I am not likely to spend $1,000 or more on a radio. I am looking at the Icom IC-718 or Yaesu FT-857D. They are very different, I just have not yet decided what i want out of a radio yet.

Perhaps I'll put the TX Monitor on the list of desirable features. I'm not sure which radios have that feature.

I'll probably use either and MP3 recorder.

Thanks

Teak
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:14 AM »

I still think you could do this with one of the online radios and it wouldent cost any money.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »

I still think you could do this with one of the online radios and it wouldent cost any money.

Not very reliable, though.  Depends on a fairly clear frequency and the online radio's ability to hear both parties in the QSO, which is a real variable with propagation.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Right now I have just a Yaesu FT1900, and I don't believe that has a TX Monitor.

FM rigs never have a TX monitor.

I am still weighing my options for an HF rig. I am not in a big hurry, but I am not likely to spend $1,000 or more on a radio. I am looking at the Icom IC-718 or Yaesu FT-857D. They are very different, I just have not yet decided what i want out of a radio yet.

Perhaps I'll put the TX Monitor on the list of desirable features. I'm not sure which radios have that feature.

Neither of those rigs have a TX monitor for voice modes (they both have a "sidetone" monitor for CW).  This is a feature found in "higher end" rigs.  For $1K or less, you'd be much better off buying something used which has this feature rather than buying something low end and wishing you had a feature it just doesn't have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: