Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4x4 Ham - CW Slow Speed Net  (Read 7023 times)
K7VZ

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »

Please join us for the 4x4 Ham - CW Slow Speed Net net this Saturday night.

When: Last Saturday of every month at 8:00pm (MST -7 GMT).

Radio Frequency: 40m - 7.115. If traffic, up 2kHz until clear and establish net there.

Details: The purpose of this net is to allow new CW operators the opportunity to practice their CW skills in a friendly, fun environment while teaching ops how to participate in a directed CW net. It will also give DX stations a chance to participate in a 4x4 Ham net. Code on the net will be sent between 5-12 WPM, with slightly exaggerated spacing between letters and words.

http://www.4x4ham.com/misc.php?do=page&template=NetInfo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:33:18 PM by K7VZ » Logged
K7VZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »

There has been some confusion on how I posted the time as AZ doesn't observe DST.  We get enough sun as is and don't need to save any.

The net starts at 3:00am Zulu time Sunday.  20:00 AZ MST (-7 GMT) Saturday evening.
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »

Radio Frequency: 40m - 7.115 LSB.

CW Net on LSB?
K7VZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »

Reminder that the CW Slow Speed Net is this Saturday night. Are you a Technician wanting to learn CW? Technicians have CW Only privileges on our net frequency 7.115 Mhz.
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »

You realize that DST would not increase the amount of sunlight that might fall on your fair state don't you?

Because it wouldn't.

After fighting that fight for more than 30 years here in Indiana, DST was finally adopted a few years ago and no one died and the world didn't end. (The owners of drive-inn theaters are still grumbling about it though [all three of them])

Scott
kc9hoz
K7VZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »

We will be holding our net Friday night this week to avoid Field Day Saturday night.  Same time though.  3:00z
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »

I will have to stop by.  Do you guys run every saturday night?
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:35 AM »

I will have to stop by.  Do you guys run every saturday night?
Typically the last Saturday of each month.
Their NCS usually has a pretty good sig & can get them 579 no sweat up here - unless of course the salsa QRM brigade fires up their 1500w amps across in Nuevo Laredo or Nogales right on top of us...  if the Predators ever run out of things to do...
 Grin

Nicely thought-out net script too, good bunch.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »

Can anybody explain me what the organisation and the purpose of a net is?

As far as I understood you can log in and logout with the net leader, but no qso allowed.

Is it the purpose when you want to talk to sombody that you ask the net leader wheter or not he is logged in and appoint a QSY  for a oint to point qso or whatever?
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »

Can anybody explain me what the organisation and the purpose of a net is?

As far as I understood you can log in and logout with the net leader, but no qso allowed.

Is it the purpose when you want to talk to sombody that you ask the net leader wheter or not he is logged in and appoint a QSY  for a oint to point qso or whatever?
Many nets, many different net goals. If I recall correctly the net under discussion is for allowing very basic slow-speed CW experience in contacting (NCS or whoever the net directs). As a net matures, it may evolve into further capabilities that would involve things like all members standing by except two members exchanging traffic - with concurrence of NCS - or the NCS directing QSY for the two stations. This often happens in other nets toward the end of the 'formal' net time, which encourages others to take up individual QSO's.  Fairly new nets aren't going to be there yet, although no NCS I'm familiar with is going to turn someone down from using proper signals to pass a note to another station that says, basically, "let's go play after work."

Really mature nets will get into all kinds of traffic handling or simulated relief operations, or run other types of things that challenge the members.
It - all - depends on what the goal of the sponsoring organization is, and how mature the net participants are.  And that applies whether it's CW or that other thing with the microphone.
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:18:35 AM by KC9TNH » Logged

Wes -KC9TNH
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »

KC9TNH

mni tks.

I suppose the joy is for the NC , may be a retired communication officer from military service or so, that can't live without.
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 06:36:44 AM »

KC9TNH

mni tks.

I suppose the joy is for the NC , may be a retired communication officer from military service or so, that can't live without.
Maybe, maybe not. Many do it simply for the love of radio. Being an NCS of anything is sometimes like daycare. (SSB has their same layers in terms of types of nets, some going to great lengths to see if they may make a successful QSO with someone who's checked in but maybe not heard so well by all.)

One of the things I've found that even the most basic (but well thought out) net does is that it fosters listening and, especially if using the 'QNx' signal lexicon, focus on simple solid practices. Even at my low speed, I can usually get the drift of the typical QSO with someone quicker (as long as their spacing is decent) with about 60-80% copy. In net operations, one needs to be listening and focus on what's happening. Crawl, walk, run. Commo for me is a tool, and we all have our own reasons. I can do 5nn all day with someone 90° to my wire - heading SW into the supposed RF hole of AZ is intriguing to me, as well as the fact that alot of the 4x4 Hams have done a neat job doing what amounts to tactical comms, even if their Jeep Wrangler isn't painted green.
 Grin

Just one of many different experiences for everyone in ham radio; for yrs trly this simply combines a love of CW with something a tad different (and an excuse to take a nap so I can stay up late - hmmm, my Mom used to say that...).
If an easy QSO to a slow-speed CW net might be for you, give it a shot.

Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: