Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D-104 mic impedence matching  (Read 7679 times)
KI4DTB

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »

Hi Everybody.  I have a D-104  UG-8 amplified mic with the W2ENY mod installed.  It works great with my pro-2.  Trouble is, I would also like to use it with a high impedence input tube type Drake TR-4.  Would this work with the impedence mismatch, or would I be better off buying an older or unamplified D-104?  Thanks for the input and 73.  Doug
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »

Personally, I'd buy a second D-104.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »

Agreed with Lon. Buy the 2nd mic. I do not think the unamplified mics go nearly as high as those "Silver Eagle" styles with the preamp.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

Throwing in another personal opinion, I don't really like D-104s unless they have a ceramic element. The common crystal elements are often bad and nothing can be done to make them sound good other than an element replacement. I have one 104, but it has the now-discontinued Heil dynamic element upgrade in it.

My boat anchor rig is a KWM-2A and my 104 works nicely with it, but I much prefer my Shure 55S on a Heil boom for the 2A. When I do use a desk mike with the 2A, it is almost always a EV 664. The best part about the D-104 is it looks cool to a lot of folks.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »

Try it on the Drake.  

Audio isn't like RF, with audio we can often get away with driving a high impedance input with a low impedance output and not suffer any serious consequences.  Can't do it the other way around, though, because a high Impedance output into a low Impedance input would load the thing down.  

Start with the preamp gain all the way down and start cracking it open a little at a time until you get ALC action and stop right there.  Should work okay.  

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

Throwing in another personal opinion, I don't really like D-104s unless they have a ceramic element. The common crystal elements are often bad and nothing can be done to make them sound good other than an element replacement.

I though some of them had crystal? One reason I avoided them was because they had so many different versions, including both elements. I do not own a boatanchor transceiver, but I do own a Shure 444 (black version). That mic has gotten good reports when I used it with boatanchors that passed my bench.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »

If my memory isn't faulty, the first 104s had crystal elements, but the later ones had ceramic elements. By this time, I would be surprised it any of the crystal elements were still functioning.

I think the 444 is a better sounding mike than the 104. In reality, I don't think the 104 is near as good a mike as legend has it, except for the looks. The only reason I have one is the looks. Smiley

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »

If my memory isn't faulty, the first 104s had crystal elements

Your memory is not faulty. I have had 3 D104 in my possession, and all 3 were different. I gave up. I stuck with Turner. The had 2 amplified mike versions, and several hi-Z. The Shure was from a private sale for a silent key. The other thing about the D104 was the head were easily exchangeable, which meant you might not have the same head, regardless of the elements. I found from elements on mouser that have the same specs, but got crappier reports. I think that Heil D104 was the way to go, but they stopped selling it.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

This website might be useful...

www.rbmicro.com
KI4DTB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »

Thanks for the great and very helpful input everyone.  I'll look at the sures.  In defense of the D-104, I am using a D104 ug-8 with the W2ENY electret mod and a pro-2, and am getting very nice reports.  It does look good, but I appreciate it's heigth off the desk.  73 All and I really mean thanks a lot.  Doug
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »

Has anyone here tried an RB Micro replacement element? I have a TUG-8 D104 that might need a replacement. This element might be perfect for my TS-530S and 520S.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »

The D-104 with the amplified base is one of the finest microphones ever made for communications use. It suppreses the base and increases the mid and high range for excellent clear audio on SSB. I have two. My base station uses the D-104 with the amplified base. The transceiver is an FT-450AT. The audio reports from this set up have always been excellent. The input match and the DSP audio processor when set up properly produce spectacular audio from this mike. Also no other mike looks as cool as this one does.

Just my Opinion,

73s
Barry K2OWK
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »

Thanks for the great and very helpful input everyone.  I'll look at the sures.  In defense of the D-104, I am using a D104 ug-8 with the W2ENY electret mod and a pro-2, and am getting very nice reports.  It does look good, but I appreciate it's heigth off the desk.  73 All and I really mean thanks a lot.  Doug

Did a Electret mod myself back in the late 70's using an element from radio shack during my CB days along with modifying the radio to power the mic instead of always buying batteries......

nothing new here........except maybe "Ham tech" is finally catching up to CB Smiley
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »

Hey, it is all just "radio tech" and if anything, hams were doing mic stuff long before CB was even a gleam in ole Al Gross' eye.  Al earned his amateur radio license back before WWII as a teen, kept it all his life. 

When I was a young ham, and AM was still hangin' on while the rich guys bought SSB rigs, an old ham gave me an old D-104 that was in really bad shape, the chrome was pitted through down to the brass in many places and the crystal element was shot.  But I loved the look of it and not having lotsa money for parts back then, I ended up putting a small speaker cannablized from one of the ubiquitous transistor handheld am radios of the day in there where the crystal element had been, along with the output transformer from the same little radio's circuit board.  High Impedance dynamic D-104 that drove my little DX-60 rather nicely.  One night a guy told me my audio had too much low end on it, so I pulled the little speaker back out and spray painted the cone with some cheap red krylon that was laying about, let it dry and put it back in there.  Nothin' to brag about, certainly, but I was on the air on the phone bands because of it.  Even back then I preferred the code key, though. 

One of the old Technician class old-timers in the amateur club said that he figured out why I like CW so much. 

Because it was the only mode that allowed me to stay on the air with one hand and EAT with the other. 

Actually, it was the beer in the other hand most times back then.  Okay, maybe a turkey leg on contest days. 

If you are old enough, you may recall when 11 meters was one of the ham bands...

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »

KE3WD, Not only do I remember when 11 meters was a ham band, but I had a Heathkit DX-35 with the VF-1 VFO which I used on the 11 meter ham band with a D-104 mike (the same one I use today on my Yaesu Ft-450AT),  before the FCC decided that the public needed a personal radio band for personal messages and for small business. That really worked out well did it not.

Just my two cents.

73s
Barry K2OWK

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: