Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auction of 440 ham band?  (Read 7764 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:36 AM »

I just read this morning that they are seriously considering auctioning off a big part of 440 band from 420 to 440 mhz to highest bidder for first responder emergency communications. Not good news for hams and if successful it will likely lead to complete loss of 440 band in future.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »

Just keep in mind that the military is the PRIMARY user on that band segment and runs the PAVE PAWS radar system on it. I seriously doubt the military will give up ANY portion of that allocation.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:10 AM »

Military has no issue with this from what I read. The are doing it under guise of homeland security and first responder communication needs. This is because many want old analog TV frequencies for rural wireless broadband usage (originally some of it was going to go for communications) and they need to grab more allocations to fit everyone in.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »

The military has no issue with getting kicked off this band?  I don't think so.  They have no issue with the people who would be using this band near their radar installations?  I don't think so there either. 

The military just is not objecting out loud because they don't want their use of this band, although known to us, to become widespread knowledge.  They're working behind the scenes to make sure that this band remains as it is.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »

The military has no issue with getting kicked off this band?  I don't think so.  They have no issue with the people who would be using this band near their radar installations?  I don't think so there either. 

The military just is not objecting out loud because they don't want their use of this band, although known to us, to become widespread knowledge.  They're working behind the scenes to make sure that this band remains as it is.

No they are not working behind the scenes because if they were it would never be on the block. They could easily auction off 420 to 440 mhz band in segments and reserve small parts of it for exclusive military usage if they wanted too but military is moving more to satellite based communications and other secure modes at higher frequencies. Do not be so naive to think that military is wildcard against loss of 420 to 440mhz because it is not. demand for UHF doe wireless broad band is goobling up frequencies below 500 mhz, There is even talk or reclaiming some of the Digital TV allocation and moving them up  band some and reusing lower part for broad band. There is some out there that would like to see free TV die and get it all pay for view on cable, internet or satellite. And by starting to squeeze their allocations they are moving in that general direction.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »

Don't argue with the man, Chris. He knows everything about everything and is never wrong.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »

Don't argue with the man, Chris. He knows everything about everything and is never wrong.

No it is just that many think things are what they really are not. Last time FCC auctioned off some frequencies they netted over 5 billion dollars. But you would know this and more about what they are planning to do now if you would read and research rather than just assume things that have no merit.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:11:49 AM »

Yeah, I know.  He did a good job proving that point on another thread about wiring.  He even told K0BG that HE was wrong concerning mobile wiring installations.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:13:51 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:22:10 AM »

No they are not working behind the scenes because if they were it would never be on the block. They could easily auction off 420 to 440 mhz band in segments and reserve small parts of it for exclusive military usage if they wanted too but military is moving more to satellite based communications and other secure modes at higher frequencies. Do not be so naive to think that military is wildcard against loss of 420 to 440mhz because it is not. demand for UHF doe wireless broad band is goobling up frequencies below 500 mhz, There is even talk or reclaiming some of the Digital TV allocation and moving them up  band some and reusing lower part for broad band. There is some out there that would like to see free TV die and get it all pay for view on cable, internet or satellite. And by starting to squeeze their allocations they are moving in that general direction.

The one sentence that I underlined proves what an idiotic statement you made.  The ENTIRE band segment that is being talked about is used for RADAR, not secure mode communications.  The Pave Paws long distance fixed installations are the primary users of that band, not unit to unit communications--not at all.  Those frequencies are used by other military radar installations, both ground and air based.  You think that the military is going to re-tool EVERY ONE OF THOSE INSTALLATIONS? 

You're so full of it that you're pathetic.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »

The one sentence that I underlined proves what an idiotic statement you made.  The ENTIRE band segment that is being talked about is used for RADAR, not secure mode communications.  The Pave Paws long distance fixed installations are the primary users of that band, not unit to unit communications--not at all.  Those frequencies are used by other military radar installations, both ground and air based.  You think that the military is going to re-tool EVERY ONE OF THOSE INSTALLATIONS? 

You're so full of it that you're pathetic.

Have to get nasty huh? Nexrad radar has been in 440 band for many years too. I did not pull this out of my butt. It made national news and as I said it was planned for first responder communications usage. Rather than resorting to name calling and mud slinging you should zip your lips and think first. Services have co-existed on sames bands for many years and can continue to do so but they are planing to remove ham radio for 420 to 440 shared usage and "sell" it to others. If you do not like it write FCC but do not bad mouth me for reporting what they are planning.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »

Getting nasty?  If you want to call it that, go ahead.  What it really is is just telling the plain truth.  Go ahead and rant on, and let people see you as you really are.  BTW, I withdraw the apology you got earlier.  You didn't deserve it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »

Getting nasty?  If you want to call it that, go ahead.  What it really is is just telling the plain truth.  Go ahead and rant on, and let people see you as you really are.  BTW, I withdraw the apology you got earlier.  You didn't deserve it.

Only one being scene as they really are here is you not me. To you truth is what you think it should be to fit your mold, not what it actually is. I am not one ranting here....

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

- We already have a thread on this: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,73898.0.html
- The 70cm frequencies are not being auctioned to first responder emergency communication - it was proposed sold off to any highest bidder, * because it was assumed to be first responder frequencies. This is wrong, which may indicate that this subsection of the bill was written in error.
- As K1CJS says, the band is used by the military for anti-ballistic missile radar - not communications.

*: The old analog TV frequencies were planned to be sold at auction, but the bill gives them to public service users. To compensate for this, some current public service frequencies are to be sold to commercial use.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »

Only one being scene as they really are here is you not me.

Scene?

Do you mean seen?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »

The only SCENE here, Lon, is the one he's making.  I'm not the least bit perturbed about it.  The ignore button is there for a reason--and I've used it for him.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: