Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT920 on 6 meters  (Read 1043 times)
WT8E

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

I have just acquired a 920 and tried it on 6 meters last night. I have been unable to adjust the squelch control to do anything.  It sounds like the squealch is fully open at all times. I also does not respond the automatic tuning button on 6 meters, antenna is a beam.  Its shows some SWR but does not seem to tune.  I have read the manual and cannot find any referance to these situations on 6 meters. Am I missing something in the manual or do I have to set up something in one of the menus.  It works fine on the HF bands,
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:15:17 AM »

I don't have a FT920, so I'm just going to guess a bit.  I bet the squelch is only active when operating FM.  If you are listening to SSB or CW, it probably does not work in those modes.

And if you have a beam, you probably have a relatively low SWR.  The tuner probably doesn't tune if the SWR is below 1.5:1 or so as this is unnecessary.  I.e., a typical target for completing a TUNE is 1.5:1 for many autotuners.  So if the SWR is already at or below this value, the tuner won't attempt a tune.

Phil - AD5X
WT8E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »

Tnx Phil for the reply.  I should have been more accurate in my post.  FM is where the squelch does not work, on 6 or 10. SWR may be close on 6 so you may be right.  Getting up in the FM segment on 10 meters I think is should tune, can't remember just what the SWR is.  I haven't tried the scan set up but I don't see any way to set up a scan mode if I can't set the squelch. As I said it sounds like the squelch is fully open all the time.  I have joined a 920 user group and awaiting getting registered with them, hope to find someone that has gone through the same problem.
WT8E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »

Well, I thought I had joined the 920 users group, how long does it take to get accepted?
WT8E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »

Well, things are looking up. I got my membership with the users group, the holdup was lack of information on my part, so that is FB now.  Through that site I downloaded the service manual for the 920, a lot of reading but a well done document, 121 pages long with schematics.

With a couple of pointers from members of the 920 users group I went into the bottom of the radio and then to the proper menu for the settings. At this point I am wondering if the FM squelch was ever set up. Just a thought and really does not make any difference as it is working FB now.  Maybe just a little more tweaking to get it to my satisfaction.

The radio is loaded with filters including the stacked Irad filters, now I just need a contest or a good DX pileup to see how they work and get used to the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: