Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom or Kenwood HF radio?  (Read 12030 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:05:59 AM »

I can't comment on the ts-480, except on TX they sound good.  I considered it before the Yaesu, but did not like the panel and body separate thing.  Cheers.

There is a optional bracket/kit that makes 480 all one piece. It is called a MB-480  and adds a side carry handle too. Funny thing is it ships with overseas radios but not with ones sold in US. It's about 45 bucks.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD7TDA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »

What I need is to just drive over to HRO and get my hands on some radios.  Wink
Yea, I know the antenna is more important. I mainly wanted to get some opinions and find out the reliability of these radios. I have had some radios that I would buy again in a minute and others I wouldn't touch again so everyone's imput is appreciated!

Good to know about the MB-480. I'll have to take a look at that.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »

Indeed, get over there and try em' out!! I think the most important bit of ham radio is the bit between the operators ears.....huge money is not needed, and a bit of thought and application and antenna building pays off in a big way. I can't see what I would ever need a radio to replace my 718, but maybe I'm a man who is able to be contented, rather than a continual seeker of ultimate happiness!!! Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »

In your same price category, you could also consider a second hand Ten-Tec Omni VI. Very good receiver, even though the design is a little old.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »

There is a optional bracket/kit that makes 480 all one piece. It is called a MB-480  and adds a side carry handle too. Funny thing is it ships with overseas radios but not with ones sold in US. It's about 45 bucks.
[/quote]

I saw the mb-480 but it seemed to me as a bit of an after thought.  Kenwood should of just done like most radios that separate and have the face snap on.  Oh well, to each his/her own.  cheers.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »

I saw the mb-480 but it seemed to me as a bit of an after thought.  Kenwood should of just done like most radios that separate and have the face snap on.  Oh well, to each his/her own.  cheers.

After owning a 480 there is reason they did it that way. It has several date ports/jacks up front that would not fit in rear (without compromising cooling and making 200 watt version not possible) and leaving sides smooth.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N3ZH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »

Hi,

At the approximately $1000 price range, I'd recommend the IC-7200 for its superior DSP processing.  Buying a radio that uses filters is rather dated - old technology.  I have not used an IC-7200, but I'd expect it to perform similarly to an IC-746Pro but the IC-7200 does not come with Antenna Tuner, 2m, nor FM capability.  The IC-7200 does come with a good standard TXCO.  Mars mod looks more complicated on this radio.  It needs an additional mod for quiet ALE scanning.

At the approximately $2000 price range, I'd recommend the TS590S with SO3 and VGS1 options for its excellent specifications for its price (per Sherwood's web page),  superior 10:1 internal antenna tuner, ability to cross band repeat to a 2m/70cm radio like the D710A, and the legendary Kenwood warm sound.

If you are very computer savy, you can try a flex 3000 or flex 5000.  But I would not recommend having a flex as one's one and only HF radio - because it depends on a PC to operate.

Personally I own a 746pro and flex 5000.
I have a TS590S on order - it is delayed waiting for the SO3 (TXCO) to be flown in from Japan.
Then I'll probably sell my Mars ready 746pro with TXCO in the summer.
Depending on how much I like the TS590S, maybe I'll also sell my Mars ready flex 5000 with iridium external 10Mhz clock?

Anyways, I'd recommend the IC7200 over the 718 or 480 due to DSP capabilities.
If needed, buy a used 7200 to make it affordable rather than buying the 718 or 480.

As suggested by someone else, it's always best to try a radio before buying it - if possible.
Maybe some people in your local amateur radio club has the radios you are considering and you can get invited to their homes to try the radios?

Howard
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 07:42:18 AM »

Anyways, I'd recommend the IC7200 over the 718 or 480 due to DSP capabilities.
If needed, buy a used 7200 to make it affordable rather than buying the 718 or 480.

I would not. I have played with a 7200 and talked to a few of them on the air as well and the 7200 is one of those radios that look good in theory but in practice are lacking compared to a 480.

KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »

"I would not. I have played with a 7200 and talked to a few of them on the air as well and the 7200 is one of those radios that look good in theory but in practice are lacking compared to a 480."

I totally agree! I ran the 7200 and the 480 side by side. Your appraisal completely agrees with mine, the 7200 looks good but doesn't deliver. The 480's receiver was considerably better in same antenna A/B tests in my shack.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »

I have an original FT-450AT (read built in auto tuner) that I got just before Christmas last year.  Its a great radio, sees almost daily use, and cannot find fault with it.  The new FT-450D does have the auto tuner, along with the narrower filters that my 450 does not have.  I also have a TS-480HX, the 200 watt version which is my mobile rig, true no built in tuner, but for mobile use I bought the N2VZ Turbo Tuner, and my Tar Heel HP-40A antenna does a great job.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »

My 480 SAT has both 1.8khz and 500hz optional filters installed and radio is very "tight" when it needs to be and can easily hold it's own against far more expensive rigs on receive. It is safe to say that the radio has exceeded my expectations. The 480 and new 590 has solidly put Kenwood back in the game.

KD7TDA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »

Well, everyone's input is helping a lot. I'll let you all know what we decide to get. I have a pretty good idea but need to talk it over with the family. We have lots to go over from the antenna to the tuner and all the other extras and necessities. Just too bad I couldn't find the money tree Grin Grin

73's
Dustin
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:38 AM »

Another factor: The 480, being so small, can be used mobile and portable, making it far more versatile.

Forget about the 200 watt version - all that complexity for just 3dB gain? A good antenna will make *far* more difference. Get the version with the tuner.

You're doing the right thing by going to see them in person. Do not leave the store without also auditioning both the HearIt and ClearSpeech audio dsp modules. I consider these indispensable for SSB and worth every dollar. I prefer the modules for easy adjustment and the versatility of adding a speaker of your choice.

- - · · ·  M A R K · N 1 L O · · · - -

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »

I had an Icom-718 for a while but the receiver was just so noisy that it became useless to even bother to turn it on. I couldn't get on hf because I couldn't hear anybody due to so much hash in the receive. That said, the 718 is an ok starter radio. I upgraded to the FT-950 and the difference in receive is like day and night. The 950 is tons better, at least for me. I sold the 718 and I don't miss it. Good luck.

Jason
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:00:29 AM by K4EKG » Logged
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »

I wonder if yours was OK Jason? I have a 718 and its been ok with my 10 watts and end fed W3EDP antenna. I cant say I "work the world" but I'm pretty happy with it.  Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: