Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eQSL-LOTW-QRZ Log: Which To Use?  (Read 10063 times)
K3ZL

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »

What is your opinion as to which of these is the one to use, in terms of ease of use, compatibility with computer logging software, security and awards?  Also, which is most used world wide? (this might be a good topic for a poll, but for now I would be interested in your thoughts)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »

LOTW participation is very high among contesters and DXpeditions.

It's the only one you mention, that counts for WAS or DXCC. You'll likely be able to get to WAS or mostway to DXCC in a single good contest weekend in fact.

Setting it up security-wise is a bit awkward and cumbersome compared to the others. But the others don't count for WAS or DXCC :-)
W0GLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »

If I was only going to use one, it would be LOTW, for the reason N3QE states.  But the fact is, if you are using a computer based logging program, you can do all three with a few mouse clicks.  That way, you have remote backups for your logs in three locations, and you can participate for ARRL, eQSL, and CQ awards, at very little or no cost.  HRD just incorporated LOTW uploads and downloads in its program (automatic eQSL has been part of it for a while).  I think QRZ is probably the most accessed site, but not necessarily its (recently implemented) log.

73, Gordon
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »

Paper in hand is the ONLY way to go!   Grin
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:04:09 AM »

This is an easy question to answer!

If you want ARRL Awards -  use LOTW.
If you want ease of use, electronic picture QSL cards and a lot of users - use eQSL.
If you are a Mac user or hate microsoft and love UNIX - use QRZ.com.
If you are a sentimental fool like myself and paper your walls with memorabilia - use paper qsl cards and the bureau.

73s
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:26:02 AM »

My order of preference:

1.) Paper QSLs (yes, I'm weird in other ways as well, like I love to operate QRP)
2.) LoTW (I do this, but I still like paper)
3.) eQSL (I confirm contacts, but generally don't log mine in first)
4.) QRZ (Again, I confirm contacts, but generally don't log mine in first)

I realize that some people make too many contacts for paper to be practical. I generally check QRZ to see if the other party does QSL by mail before sending a card, and then, unless told otherwise, I send an SASE or SAE + IRC or green stamps. When I did the VA QSO Party, I found a few on QRZ who don't QSL at all (boo!). At my level of activity, mail is no problem for me.

-- Tom
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »

As for as hams who DO NOT!!! QSL, there is a trick I heard about in the dark ages (1950-60 era).  The ham who wanted a QSL had blank QSL's made up and send them to the other station along with IRC's, green stamps or foreign postage for return.  The DX station was supposed to fill in the blank card with his Callsign, date, time etc. and mail it back in the preaddressed envelope.  I suppose if you were into it you could actually make a QSL card
for the DX station to ease farther his effort.
I can't give you any information on how well the scheme worked.  I suppose it might work better than repeated standard mailings for recalcitrant QSL'ers.
I know one thing, if you could use eQSL's for DXCC, there would be a lot more people on the honor roll.
Oh well
Allen
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »

Guess I should chime in as well. I send a paper QSL to pretty much everyone I work the first time.
I do it because I like to receive QSLs, and I hope that by sending one, I will receive one.
If I don't receive one back, I don't get upset because I still had the pleasure of talking to a new contact.

I don't make a lot of contacts, 4 or 5 a week, so mail costs are not a problem for me.
I dislike contests, would rather talk to a stranger for an hour than work 50 rare DXs, and am not very interested in awards, so I am probably the odd man here.
Someday my QSL box may be full, and I will look at things differently. We will see.
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »

I got a QSL in the mail this afternoon.  It was from Montana on 80 meters, which I needed for my 5BWAS.  I was just as happy to get that QSL as I was when I got my first one as a novice in 1963.  Advice given earlier on this topic to upload my HRD to all three sounds right to me.  But I still like to get those cards.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:22:18 AM »

I upload to all three, and I've got a batch of physical cards ready to go out as I figure out how many IRCs or greenstamps to include in the foreign ones.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

I send my outgoing DX cards to the ARRL bureau and let them take advantage of mass mailing.  Seems to work just fine.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »

My personal choice is LOTW. 

BUT... since other contacts do participate in LOTW, I also use eQSL, ARRL Buro/direct QSL/SAE/paper snail mail method.  I've made over 140 QSOs and enter everything immediately into TQSL (adi format) then upload to LOTW and eQSL.  In LOTW, 140 QSOs and only 41 confirmed meaning only 41 of the 140 uses LOTW.  In eQSL I have 53 confirmed (total including DX and stateside QSOs).  I have about 30 QSL cards.

I prefer LOTW because it's free to use and no postage required.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »

My personal choice is LOTW. 

73 Delwyn KH6DC
Question about LOTW:  If I periodically upload my entire log, will LOTW ignore qso's that have already uploaded, or will it double list them?  I am using HRD, and it seems that it is easier to upload the entire log than to just upload recent entries.  Tnx
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:38 AM »

Question about LOTW:  If I periodically upload my entire log, will LOTW ignore qso's that have already uploaded, or will it double list them?  I am using HRD, and it seems that it is easier to upload the entire log than to just upload recent entries.  Tnx

LoTW will ignore the duplicates-- but ARRL prefers that people refrain from resending entire logs due to the time that it takes up on their system (the system is getting pretty busy these days!)

My logging program (DXBase) has a "Wizard" feature to select which QSO's to include in an output .adi file, so I only enter new QSO's into LoTW, sometimes just a few at a time.

With regard to the original question, I wonder why QRZ decided to add the "logbook" feature to its site.  I don't find it of any value.  I use both eQSL and LoTW, and paper QSL's, of course. 

Chuck  NI0C
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »

Paper is the true way of doing it if you are not some mega station contester.

Think about your first contact.  Did that first QSL card get you?  Mine has pride of place as card 1 of my three albums.  My contacts from eQSL are forgotten.  My contacts from LOTW don't get acknowledged as I am not on it.

As eQSL is not recognized by the ARRL for WAS and other awards, I dropped it. 

I still like mailing the cards and I still like getting them.  Paper is the way for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: