Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eQSL-LOTW-QRZ Log: Which To Use?  (Read 10440 times)
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »

I use eQSL and paper QSL cards. Never liked LoTW. But that is just me. My favorite is the paper card. Nothing like getting a new card in the mail.
Try them all and see which works best for you.

Richard
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »

Sure, I like paper cards-- they're the best confirmations.  They're also expensive to pursue.  I've got albums; I've got QSL's on the wall; and I also have 6-7 shoe boxes full of QSL's.  I've gotten to the point where, unless its a new one on 160m or a new zone on a band, I'd just as soon have the LoTW confirmation.  I'm by no means a "mega station contester."   

If you're pursuing any or all of the ARRL awards, you can't beat LoTW for speed, accuracy, and simplicity.  Anyone interested in the multi-band, multi-mode DXCC awards is working with a handicap without LoTW. 

I joined eQSL when I found out that (under certain conditions) eQSL's are applicable towards some of the CQ awards, such as WAZ.  I also enjoy downloading some of the more creative eQSL images, and displaying them in a digital picture frame, along with scanned images of some of my favorite paper cards. 

Chuck  NI0C 
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »

I still like mailing the cards and I still like getting them.  Paper is the way for me.

I agree with you.  I watch the mailbox for QSLs just as much as I did as a novice in 1963.  That said, I began logging with HRD about a year ago, and even added all of my confirmed stateside and DX contacts so that I would have an electronic, easy to access way of knowing what I have accomplished in way of qualifying for DXCC, 5BWAS, etc.  By the way, I still keep a paper log also.  Some habits an old guy like me has are hard to give up. Cheers to everyone on this topic.
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »

I use paper and eqsl...lotw looks to much of a hassel for me.73s de JW
KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

I am lazy Smiley I use eqsl and LOTW and HRDLog since it is automated.  I would probably use QRZ's log, but I haven't taken the time to see if I can upload it automatically.

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 06:00:33 AM »

I am lazy Smiley I use eqsl and LOTW and HRDLog since it is automated.  I would probably use QRZ's log, but I haven't taken the time to see if I can upload it automatically.

I don't know about automatically, but subscribers to QRZ.com can upload ADIF files to their QRZ logbook.
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »

QRZ's log seems to me to be the one with the best interface.  Problem is will ARRL recognize it?  Their awards are the ones that most interest me.
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »

i looked at lotw and changed my mind,will use paper qsls....and eqsl ...i been using both so why change it...73s de n0zna/John
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

i looked at lotw and changed my mind,will use paper qsls....and eqsl ...i been using both so why change it...73s de n0zna/John

Well, you asked. The reason to change it, as has already been mentioned,  LOTW is good for chasing ARRL awards without dealing with paper, stamps, money and waiting. I never thought I'd get a DXCC until recently and am having a great time pursuing it. I'm going to get it 95% paper-free if I can.

I'm 98% done with my traditional paper-QSL WAS-CW but I signed up for LOTW to work on my first DXCC. Going to save a lot of time and money. I do wish LOTW adoption was higher...

73, Geoff

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »

I don't know about automatically, but subscribers to QRZ.com can upload ADIF files to their QRZ logbook.

As far as I have seen, the QRZ Logbook is manual entry or manual ADIF upload. I haven't found anything outmatic about it yet. I upload to it every once in a while to keep it up to date - which I am behind on come to think about it.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »

Paper in hand is the ONLY way to go!   Grin

Agreed. It's not the same without that qsl card coming in the mail...
K4JH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »

Paper is the true way of doing it if you are not some mega station contester.

Think about your first contact.  Did that first QSL card get you?  Mine has pride of place as card 1 of my three albums.  My contacts from eQSL are forgotten.  My contacts from LOTW don't get acknowledged as I am not on it.

Why are you not on LOTW?

I understand your point on paper QSLs, I still like getting them, and I send them for every contact with a new station, but I still use LOTW.

Keep in mind sending paper QSL cards can get expensive, LOTW usage is free and it counts towards ARRL awards.

73 de W6VMS
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »

Paper is the true way of doing it if you are not some mega station contester.

Think about your first contact.  Did that first QSL card get you?  Mine has pride of place as card 1 of my three albums.  My contacts from eQSL are forgotten.  My contacts from LOTW don't get acknowledged as I am not on it.

Why are you not on LOTW?

I understand your point on paper QSLs, I still like getting them, and I send them for every contact with a new station, but I still use LOTW.

Keep in mind sending paper QSL cards can get expensive, LOTW usage is free and it counts towards ARRL awards.

73 de W6VMS

W6VMS,

Not throwing stones here but IMHO, one fact still remains that alot of users of LOTW either are unaware of or fail to pass the real underlying facts about LOTW as indicated in their statements such as "LOTW usage is free and it counts towards ARRL awards". While the usage of LOTW is free to upload and receive matching QSOs in the database for QSL credit, those QSL credits in and amoung themselves are relatively useless alone. The use of those QSLs towards applying for awards requires that the applying LOTW account holder BUY those QSLs for use in the award application. Now granted, while there is money involved in either method- LoTW or cards, the LOTW is much cheaper than going direct just to receive the QSL 'point' towards an award.

I, like many others, use LOTW for awards and for those contacts I wish to receive a hard card from, go either the direct route or via the buro. Also while I do upload my QSOs to eQSL strictly as a service to those that desire to get QSLs that way, I do not participate in the QSL process on the receiving side of eQSL as I get way too many QSOs in my Inbox there that I have to reply to as NOT IN LOG. I do try and keep a meticulous logbook and although I could see an occasional error creeping in, I cannot realistically see that many errors happening only via eQSL and not think the overall system is ineffective in its underlying processes.

Just some fuel for the 'flame'  Wink

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K4JH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »

Not throwing stones here but IMHO, one fact still remains that alot of users of LOTW either are unaware of or fail to pass the real underlying facts about LOTW as indicated in their statements such as "LOTW usage is free and it counts towards ARRL awards". While the usage of LOTW is free to upload and receive matching QSOs in the database for QSL credit, those QSL credits in and amoung themselves are relatively useless alone. The use of those QSLs towards applying for awards requires that the applying LOTW account holder BUY those QSLs for use in the award application. Now granted, while there is money involved in either method- LoTW or cards, the LOTW is much cheaper than going direct just to receive the QSL 'point' towards an award.

You're right, I should've been more clear. The exchange of QSL information is free with LOTW, though applying for certificates costs money, though as you said, it is cheaper with LOTW than with paper cards.

Either way, I don't understand the reticence to use LOTW, given how easy it is to get set up.

73 de W6VMS
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »

I haven't set up QRZ yet. Otherwise it is LOTW, then eQSL, then paper for the special countries that I really need.

By the way over the past 4 years the confirmation percentages on LOTW, approximately 40%, significantly out pace eQSL, approximately 10%. I send them both the the same logs just prepared differently. Logger32 to ADIF, send direct to eQSL, run TQSL controlling batch file to sign and send to LOTW all very slick.

Updating Logger32 from LOTW is slick too, just download QSL report with detail turned on from LOTW and then sync with Logger32. I have never needed to bring any confirmations down from eQSL. My WAS is all LOTW and my DXCC is mixed to take advantage of some old rare QSLs, like Midway and Easter Island.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: