Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahah! Figured out the robo-stations  (Read 528 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »

In every contest there's a couple really loud stations that I hear calling TEST - I hear folks calling them back in response, and I try calling them back in response, but nobody ever gets replies. It's a contest so we all move on after at most a minute or two. Later in the day they're still on the same spot, calling, still not replying to anyone.

I used to figure these nobody-at-home stations must be some super-automated robo-contest station gone completely haywire. But only after looking at the WPX rules do I think I have a workable explanation: they're SO2R (Single-op-two-radio) contest stations, but they keep on calling even as they're simultaneously chasing other DX multipliers, probably on a different band, and only rarely do they bother answering calls while they're on the chase elsewhere.

Did I nail this one on the head or is there an even better explanation?
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »

SO2R operators are sometimes distracted from the run radio a bit while working someone on the second radio, but this distraction rarely lasts longer than a few ten seconds.

Ideally, the QSOs on the second radio can be perfectly interleaved into the Run QSOs (or CQs). I.e. you call CQ on R1 while you tune into a station on R2. While someone calls you on R1, you send your call on R2. While you send the exchange on R1, you'll receive yours on R2. While the worked station on R1 confirms, you send your TU on the 2nd radio, and that's it.

Sometimes, when this interleaving doesn't work as planned, you have to decide what your priorities are. I personally prefer to give priority to the 2nd radio, at the expense of the 1st radio's operating rhythm. This may result in sudden stopping in transmission, broken CQs etc. But typically not for more than a few seconds.

I for one never came across a SO2R station that completely ignored the run radio and called blindly for an unreasonably long time. Running QRO helps to get the attention of a SO2R operator, who listens to two radios at the same time...

K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »

DJ1YFK is right about SO2R.  SO2R is dynamic, contests are dynamic.  You can't just say, "XX0X didn't hear me because he was SO2R."  He might have gone to the bathroom.  Also, if you've ever operated at a bigger (even a small one, to a lesser extent) station, you'll also know that a "good" run frequency is one you can make lots of QSOs on, not necessarily one that's 100% QRM-/QRN-free.  It's possible that your local noise level is enough lower that you can hear him but he can't hear you.  Maybe he's QROOOOO.  There are lots of possible explanations!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »

Good SO2R stations will answer you ;-)

Not much point in doing SO2R if you can't work with two radios efficiently.

This made me wonder if SO2R was SO2R but they're not, they're multi-operator ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:11:07 AM »

Could be a mix of a couple things here. Most likely, he is running 1500w, and really large antennas. You, and the others calling, might have poor antennas, and low power. Most of the time, his large antennas will hear you, but, not always. Especially on ground wave.

ANd, sometimes SO2R. But, the good SO2R guys ( which are most that use it!), will work you...

73- Chuck KI9A
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:37:52 AM »

Heard the same thing while I was handing out a few Qs in Radiosport yesterday: Big gun U.S. station, huge signal, calling CQ repeatedly with only a tiny break for listening. I called...no answer...at least 8 times. Heard another loud station do the same. Then the op came back and easily worked both of us.

He was probably taking a break. His CQing was more like an illegal beacon to hold the channel. (Legal?) I thought it was a jerky thing to do.

Wonder how he'd like it if I QRX'd to go to the bathroom DURING our exchange Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: