Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dual monitors and scrolling  (Read 6209 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »

Hello,
As a daily feature, Eham provides photos of ham set-ups.
I see so many hams have two monitors.
I presume they are being controlled by one computer.
I'd like to try two monitors.
Will I be able to scroll on each monitor or only on one?
Would I need two mice?
A search did not get any hits on this topic.
73 Jerry KM3K
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2005/techtips-AUG18-05.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

You will find some answers to your question on the pages listed above.
NQ4A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:44:42 AM »

All you need is a video card (like NVIDIA) or similar, that will provide two video outputs.
I have one dual monitor card in my CPU and it works great. I would not go back to single monitor.
Think of it as one big screen and you can move program panels all over and have many programs open at
the same time and have the screen area to view them all.
Regards and 73
Jon
NQ4A
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

Don't even need a dual video cards in your PC. I use the Kensington Multi-Display adapter and it works great.

http://us.kensington.com/html/17534.html
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »

Dual monitors (or more) are almost standard for high level web work. One mouse. Click to move a window back and forth. Kids write school papers in one window while researching (or copying from Wikipedia LOL) in the other.

At the shack, I have my Flex in one window and the other software in the other. And I really could use a third monitor.

KS4JU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »

The best way to do this is get two monitors of the same size if possible. Its not critical, but looks nicer if you are buying two new monitors. That way it appears you have one large monitor since you can line them up next to each other. You will also need a video card with either dual DVI or RGB outputs. Unless you are planning to do high end PC gaming these cards are very inexpensive. You will also want to set the video card driver software to Extend mode rather than Clone. In Extend mode you can have one application on one monitor and drag another application to the second monitor. That way you have the ability to see each application independently. Some applications will let you drag the main display so that it covers both screens, which can also come in handy. Of course you can buy one 27 inch monitor that gives you a lot of real estate for your programs. They have gotten pretty cheap these days (less than $300).
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »

Don't even need a dual video cards in your PC. I use the Kensington Multi-Display adapter and it works great.

http://us.kensington.com/html/17534.html

This USB based device would have very limited bandwidth and likely not support video playback on it. It is cheaper and better to simply change or add a new video card.   Dual displays has been supported on a lot of video cards for many years. Entry level computer usually have on board video and will not support dual monitors without a video card install/upgrade.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »

Modern laptops also support multi-monitors out of the box. Newer ones also have HDMI outputs so you can connect to an HDTV.
KK4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

The functionality for dual windows has been built into  every version of Microsoft Windows since Windows 95. Windows will support multi-output display cards, or multiple display cards, providing your hardware can accomodate your display card choice(s).

Once the hardware is installed and both monitors are running, when you right click on the desktop and bring up the display control applet, click on the tabs till you see the 2 monitors, click on monitor 2, and then check the "extend my desktop across this monitor" box.

Note that the monitors need not be side by side. You can adjust the monitors relationship in the control applet to reflect your RL installation; side-by-side, vertically stacked, catty-cornered. The mouse will behave accordingly once you tell windows how you have the monitors placed.

Hope this helps!

KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »

I run a computer business and you wouldn't believe the number of people we have that have gone to 2 even more monitors lately.  We have a lawyer that has three and wants another one.

You can set them up in different ways.  Most have it so that each one is independent and they can drag their email to one and have it up all the time and do their other work in the second one.

You can buy cards with dual ports on them.  For the ones that we have that are using more than two we have sold them a USB card that HP makes.  It works fine, you can use it for video play back, etc.  Now I wouldn't try to run CAD or use it for gaming, but for web browsing and word processing, it works fine.

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: