Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR Radio Suggestions?  (Read 57386 times)
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »

FWIW, great discussion. Keep going.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
NG9W

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »

Stan,

I'm glad you got to at least own a Flex 5K for a while. I have also had a strong fascination with SDR, but the Flex products were out of my price range. I came across LP-PAN's Software Defined IQ Panadapter and learned that it could work with a Yaesu FT-950 with the RF-Space IF-2000 interface which plugs into the space for the scope board used with a DMU-2000.

The LP-PAN is $225.00 assembled, an E-MU 0202 USB Sound Card another $100.00, The IF-2000 about $190.00, and a new Yaesu FT-950 under $1300.00 (I got a used one for under $1100.00). The SDR software I use is none other than PowerSDR/IF which is modified by WU2X to work with LP-PAN.

If you can get your hands on a Kenwood with 8.83 MHz IF output, such as the TS-830, TS-870, TS-940, or TS-950SDX, you can get a version of LP-PAN to work for them. Even the new TenTec Eagle has a 9 MHz IF out that can be used with a version of LP-PAN. You wouldn't need the IF-2000 board in any of these cases.

I'm not only using PowerSDR/IF as a panadapter, I often use its demodulators as receivers. This gives me the use of MultiRx to use as a main receiver and sub receiver which the FT-950 does not have. This same IF-2000 board also works with the FT-2000, but that radio is a little out of my price league (though it does have its own sub receiver).

Most of the time I'm using HRD 5 as rig control software for the FT-950 because it gives me "sliders" that directly manipulate Menu settings such as RF power out, DNR, AF level out on the Data connector and AF level in on the Data connector. With this arrangement, PowerSDR/IF connects to HRD 5 rather than the FT-950 directly. This gives me a well-integrated solution with DM780 for digital modes, and HRD 5 Logbook.

For the digital modes, I could run the audio from the E-MU 0202 through VAC to demodulate a signal, but PowerSDR/IF is "receive only" and I have no way to inject audio into the FT-950 for transmitting. So I use a separate sound card, the SignaLink USB. It provides a pure USB Sound Card that lets me receive and transmit the digital modes. (For digital modes on my Icom 746-PRO, I use RigExpert Plus because besides the USB sound card, it provides level conversion for the C-IV CAT control of the rig. I already have CAT control of the FT-950, so using a SignaLink USB gives me nothing superfluous.)

I've written reviews for the FT-950 (PEP-950 version) and the LP-PAN here on eHam.

73 and Good Luck with your SDR quest,

David, NG9W
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »

This thread was a good read.  I am interested in a beginner system in SDR to get my feet wet.  Was thinking of the SDR-IQ and others mentioned here, and was comparing and contrasting them.  However, I now added a new option to consider.

Elecraft has a new rig, KX3, a handheld 10W HF rig with a usable IF output similar to the big brother K3.  The KX3 is supposed to ship in January, and until someone has one in their hands the features are somewhat sketchy. BUT, it is supposed to sell for under $1000.  So my thinking is that The KX3 would be a way to get my feet wet in SDR and at the same time provide a stand alone QRP rig for slightly more than what I would pay kludging together a receiver only solution to start into the world of SDR.

Why would this be a bad choice?

Rene - WA6MJE 
VINCE48

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »

Well gents, this thread were interesting, but really no conclusion. I was about to pull the trigger for the NetSDR, but the NetSDR-01 cost is pretty high. I currently own a QS1R. However I'm fed up waiting for the RFFE1. I also want to use my AR5000+3 with the QS1R as a panadapter, but it is a bit cumbersome. I agree that the NetSDR-01 cost is too high. Any suggestions?

Happy Holidays
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »

Vince,

Do you feel the need to have additional gain with your QS1R? Phil seems to think it's not really necessary.
http://pcovington.blogspot.com/2009/02/rffe1-why-you-may-or-may-not-need-it.html

Maybe you can just add an external pre-amp to bring up the high frequency sensitivity - assuming you won't get overloaded. It's obviously a balancing act without some means of software support to switch gain and attenuation in/out as necessary.

Jim - K6JH
VINCE48

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »

Greetings Jim,
I do need some gain for 17 meters and up. I also need some attenuation at times. However, I really miss using my AR5000+3 for VHF and UHF monitoring. I tried using the QS1R as a panadapter, but it was a real pain in regard to controlling the AR5000 through the QS1R. I did not have that problem with my SDR-14, which i sold after getting a Perseus, which i sold as soon as I got my QS1R.

Merry Christmas

vince48
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2012, 01:02:37 AM »

We will all me in the grave by the time Phil delivers a market ready solution. The QST1 has been on the drawing board for a long time now. Phil is a smart guy he just does not have the required resources to pull  off a SDR transceiver for the masses.

My Vote would go with the ADAT,   only because it has knobs.

The HPSDR Hermes is about to be released. Its a shame someone does not engineer a  a front panel solution for the Hermes. The PICASTAR transceiver is an example of what could be accomplished with  a hardware front panel with knobs. If you see what kinds of front panels the PICASTAR builders have built you would be amazed and wonder why other SDR radios make it seems an impossible and expensive task which it is not.

Computers controlled SDR transceiver would make lousy radios, just like PC controlled test equipment has been a market failure. Those who  seem to think they know better will be market failures in a short time.

Vince,

Do you feel the need to have additional gain with your QS1R? Phil seems to think it's not really necessary.
http://pcovington.blogspot.com/2009/02/rffe1-why-you-may-or-may-not-need-it.html

Maybe you can just add an external pre-amp to bring up the high frequency sensitivity - assuming you won't get overloaded. It's obviously a balancing act without some means of software support to switch gain and attenuation in/out as necessary.

Jim - K6JH
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »

Zenki says: "My Vote would go with the ADAT, ..."

The ADAT Yahoo Group, founded in 2007, currently has 73 members. There have been 153 messages posted, 16 in the past 12 months. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adat/

http://www.adat.ch/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:40:21 AM by K0OD » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »

My Vote would go with the ADAT,   only because it has knobs.

The ADAT is way too expensive.  You still need a PC with the ADAT to have a panadapter display.

Gene
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

I linked to the ADAT German language site. Here's the English one:
http://www.adat.ch/index_e.html

The ability to work split was recently added. Smiley
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »

Well I think this type is the market future,www.sdr-cube.com
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »

That is just a crappy softrock in a box with an LCD display.  I am pretty sure it uses a crappy 16 bit dsPIC for the DSP.  The DSP has very limited dynamic range. Definitely not the future.

Gene
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »

That is just a crappy softrock in a box with an LCD display.  I am pretty sure it uses a crappy 16 bit dsPIC for the DSP.  The DSP has very limited dynamic range. Definitely not the future.

Gene
Yes, at this time it is, but this type of All in one( ISDR )is the future? Most hams should be able, to see it coming?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: