Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a contesting noob..help  (Read 553 times)
N2ZUL

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:06 AM »

Hello,

wasnt sure if this should go in elmers....

I want to give the IARU contest a try this weekend. Can someone explain the mulitpliers to me? I am finding it confusing. Also, can I use HRD to do the logging?? I just want to make sure I get the right info in the right format to the right people. I think I am zone 9.

Thanks,
Bill
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

Hi Bill

IARU is a fun event!

The 2nd US call area is in ITU zone 8.  Check out http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/ituzonesc.gif for a sample of the ITU zone map.  QSOs with others in the same zone, as well as the Headquarter stations, are worth 1 point.  Contacts with a different zone but same continent are worth 3 points.  Contacts with a different continent are worth 5 points.  

Expect a lot of activity, especially from Europe, on all bands.  (Yes, Sporadic E on 10M is usually quite prevalent in this one.)

Have fun!!
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »

For the multipliers they are just that. A contact that will multiply your score, like a different country. If you had 5 oen-point contacts that were all the same country you would have 5 points. If the same 5 were spread between 3 countries you would have 15 points.

Try N1MM logger as a free contest logger, it has a ready built input form for the IARU contest.

Whatever you do, jump in and have fun!

I contest for fun, but have no ideas of making a super score, just beating my own best and having fun.

KF7CG
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »

I am replying late to this Bill, but on the logger for contesting, N1MM has a completely free program at www.n1mm.com that is great, if your radio is not connected to your PC I would suggest you do that ASAP as the program really works for you when you are connected,

The program is a valuable tool and will give you an avantage, it's not terribly hard to learn, and the more you learn it, the better your score will be.

You can export your QSO's after the contest and import them into HRD in a few mouseclicks.

Have fun, and be warned, contesting can be addictive

K4FX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: