Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle License  (Read 7988 times)
K0AX

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »

Perhaps that got your attention... This is really not off topic, just a little change of focus.  For several years I have had the amateur radio motorcycle tag KØWKM.  I recently got my call changed to KØAX, and of course wanted and needed to change my license plate as well.  Of course the days when having a Ham radio license got you a free auto or motorcycle tag are long gone.  I expected that I would need to apply for the new license plate, providing all of the usual documentation to the state of Missouri.  I found a helpful page on the state's web site, downloaded the forms, wrote the check and bundled it all off to Jefferson City.  A few weeks later I got it all back with a somewhat cyptic note that while the application was complete, I was not permitted to have two amateur radio license plates with different calls.  Head scratching ensued.  I called a supplied number at the statehouse and spoke to a young man who is also a biker.  He was helpful but said I needed to take the old plate to a local fee office (don't get me started on patronage in Missouri politics) where they could fix everything.  To make a long story shorter, the outcome is that I needed to return the old tag to state custody, then complete the paperwork (insurance, inspection, property tax receipts, etc. to apply for an ordinary tag.  THEN they could accept my application for the new KØAX tag and send it all back to Jefferson City, where, supposedly, they will order some convict somewhere to make a new tag for me.  When it's ready, no dates given, it will be sent back to the fee office where, after the exchange of some more paperwork and checks, I will be able to trade the new regular plate for the new amateur radio tag.  Of course each visit entails long lines and exchange of cash.

As a final kicker I was told that from the moment my call sign changed, I was riding with an invalid vehicle tag and there should be a fine for that.  They agreed to waive it.

I'm sure this could have been more complicated, somehow.

Just sayin'

Ken
KØAX
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »

Does the term bureaucracy mean anything to you.

73s
K2OWK
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »

Good Luck, having worked for the Department of Highway Safety in Tallahassee  for 34 years, not directly in d.l. but can see where this is normal . If you are lucky to have a  state senator that is also a ham that might help? Got a local senator up for reelection? perhaps that wonderfull american radio relay team can help , ha ha ...   let us know how this turns out . On the bright side , mabey the dl workers will lose there pension. kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

oh, one other thing while I am on a roll, a fee increase is not new taxs , thats what they say in fla  how about there ? hi hi .. kig4ymc
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »

Speaking of getting new plates made....I upgraded to Extra while stationed in California, got
my KQ6Q call, got it on Arizona plates, where my car was registered. Sold the car, transferred
to Nebraska, bought another car, got KQ6Q on Nebraska plates. A couple of years later,
Nebraska changed the color of its plates, I got notified to come pick up my new ones.
Someone at the penitentiary must have been really emphatic about slashed Zeroes on ham
plates, and there must have been some kind of 'boss rules' situation, because my new plates
were for K06Q with a slashed zero.  I explained the situation to the clerk (couldn't keep the
collector plate!) and in a few more weeks had the new plates with the correct call.
No hassles in either California, Arizona, or Nebraska.

Fred Wagner
previously W7HSS, W5QDL, K6VVD
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »

Pretty routine stuff for Missouri, also my home state.  When I went from NØDFH to my current vanity call, I went through the process you described.  The kicker was that had I known that I would have to personally surrender the old callsign plate to the DMV, it would have saved me a trip, a long day and been a happier experience.  I recently changed to Missouri's new license plate design but with the same call sign.  I recalled that I had to take my existing plates to the DMV, do the long line drill, etc, in order to pick up my new plates.  Seems there should be an easier way, but........

Terry, WØFM
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »

I went through the very same procedure when Kentucky first offered the Amateur Call Sign license plate years ago. To make it more confusing, I was home on leave from my duty station (US Army) in Germany. The Wife and I just had the one car which was staying in KY with her. It's a crying shame you can't buy "common sense" at a vending machine.
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »

It's a crying shame you can't buy "common sense" at a vending machine.

They tried that in the 80s. Nobody could figure out how to get it out of the machine...

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »

When I moved to Connecticut, I simply registered my vehicle, and got new, regular, plates. I filled out the application for call sign tags, paid the difference, and in about three weeks had the new tags in the mail. I went to DMV and turned in the original tags.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

When I moved to Connecticut, I simply registered my vehicle, and got new, regular, plates. I filled out the application for call sign tags, paid the difference, and in about three weeks had the new tags in the mail. I went to DMV and turned in the original tags.

Oh to be so simple. I changed my callsign in Feb 2009 (picked up my father's call after he passed) and went to update my tags from old call to new call. Simple you would think. Then again I forgot I was living in the land of fruit, nuts and flakes - The Granola State of Cailfornia. I had to surrender my old tags first and then reapply for my new tags. Ok so far not too bad. I even got to keep the front tag (CA is a two plate state - front and back, back with sticker for yr). Bonus!! Was told you should receive your new tags in the mail within 10-12 days. OK I could live with that. I figured to add another 10-12 days to be closer to the real deal. I also got one of those nifty 90 day temp paper registrations certificates to tape inside the rear window.

So I tape the paper in, and sit to wait for my 10-12 (or was it 20-24 days). Well after about 30 days, I go to the DMV and wait in the really long line burning up my lunhc hour. My turn at the window arrives and a trot up, presnt all my paper work and ask the nice lady "Where's me tag at?". She looks at the paperwork and goes off to check something on another computer terminal as hers can't do whatever she wanted to do. I wait patiently for about 5 minutes or so and she comes back and say "They were delivered to you 2 weeks ago." .... Huh?Huh? I get mail at 2 places, my house and my PO Box. The tags were supposed to come to the PO Box and I didn't see them?Huh So I tell her, sorry but nothing has come to me from you.

So now the fun starts. She can't just restart the paperwork and the clock and be done with it .... OH NO!!! TOO Easy!  She has to start a trace on the tags to see where they are at and who has them. Never mind the fact that they SHOULD BE to only set of California Amatuer Radio plates with the "W5DQ" stamped on them so how hard is it to find?Huh

As they used to say 'the hits just keep on coming'! After about 3 more weeks of waiting I get a notice from the DMV that says I need to reapply for my plates as the original request has been cancelled. So now I am driving around without plates which is a crime in CA if you are a law abiding citizen. If you're a permenant visitor from south of the border, that rule does not apply to you or your vehicles. Sorry but I diverge! So I go back the DMV, stand back in line and reapply for my plates AGAIN! I am not given another paper temp tag as that one seem to be ok even though it is supposed to be linked to the original tag request. Anyway off I go, pissed off that I have to deal with the DMV still.

Root canal ... deal with DMV ... Root canal ... deal with DMV ... hard decision!

So day 80 something rolls around and still no plates. Paper tag is about to expire - only good for 90 days. And too boot - it has faded so bad in our hot desert sun that the handwriting on the tag is totally gone. It looks like a blank tag form. I go back to the DMV, give them the remnants of the old paper tag and am told I need to get another paper tag (duh?!), which I am given, and that I need to wait longer as the group that makes tags (prisoners, etc.Huh) are really far behind and my group of tags is still in the queue (just like my first ones were supposedly delivered, ha). So I go back and wait.

Long story shortened for those of you who have made it this far ... my tags show up the day before I am to leave to go on a cross country trip in my car. Length of time for plates to arrive since firsst applications was submitted ... 4 months, 1 week and 3 days. I hope I never have to change callsigns again!!!

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 06:51:59 PM »

In South Carolina, it's a simple as sending them a letter promising that you won't allow your old tag to be affixed to an operating vehicle. I have my tag with my old call hanging on the wall in my shack. It was with me since 1991, no way I'd give it up! Besides, the new plates are cheesy, just thin aluminum with just a sticker plastered across them. The old tags were embossed and painted and were much nicer. I guess the convicts don't press them here anymore! -WY3X
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

It's a crying shame you can't buy "common sense" at a vending machine.

They tried that in the 80s. Nobody could figure out how to get it out of the machine...

Ages ago I worked as an assistant to an older gentleman who serviced and collected money
from vending machines.  These were the "Coin Only" machines, before they could
read dollar bills. (Showing my age here!) We got called out to a "broken" vending machine.
Sure enough, the machine's quarter slot was jammed.

Some idiot, seeing the words "Insert one dollar here" next to the quarter slot,
had very neatly folded up a dollar bill and forced it into the slot for quarters.
If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.... Grin
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »

You get the tag fast with not much hassle in Florida, but you do have to show your FCC wallet size amateur radio ID card. They charge you $65.00 for it!  Shocked
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 08:13:45 AM »

Someone at the penitentiary must have been really emphatic about slashed Zeroes on ham
plates, and there must have been some kind of 'boss rules' situation, because my new plates
were for K06Q with a slashed zero.
I think some states have 'character' rules.  Such as, all O's are treated as 0's in the database.  Or that I and 1 are the same in the database.  Someone told me S and 5 are treated the same in some states too.

For example, you would never see plates with 55, 5S, S5, and SS more than once.  Using any of those 4 would automatically negate the ability to issue the other 3.

You're plate might just have come out as the 'minimum' in the database.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:15 AM »

AZ MC plates have 4 characters.  When I moved here in 89 I applied for a license plate with my call, NY1I--it was already issued to a motorcycle; same thing happened when I changed my call to AE7G--already issued.

My current call, W7ETA hasn't been issued yet for a MC.  They are still on 4 characters.  If I live long enough, they will have exhausted all the 4 character plates.

Bob

PS: remind me sometime to tell you about the ticket I got in NH on my 1961 HD chopper, wrong wheel to the curb!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: