Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lost license  (Read 4994 times)
KC2LLW

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »

Hi,
I am looking to up grade to General in May and cant find my original FCC license, how can i get a duplicate?
Thanks
Steve 
KC2LLW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »

Went on FCC website got a duplicate on it's way to me.
Thanks
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »

You do realize you're required to have a copy in your possession when operating, right? My recommendation is to cut off the wallet-sized license on arrival, have it laminated, and stick it in your wallet. It perfectly acceptable to present for the purpose of upgrading at an exam session. -WY3X
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

You do realize you're required to have a copy in your possession when operating, right?

I was unaware of this.  Could you point me to the place in the regs that spells this out?
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:36 AM »

The applicable excerpt is printed on the back of the license.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »

The applicable excerpt is printed on the back of the license.

Here's the text on the back of the license I received in 2005:

Conditions: Pursuant to Section 309(h) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. Section 309(h), this license is subject to the following conditions: This license shall not vest in the licensee any right to operate the station nor any right in the use of the frequencies designated in the license beyond the term thereof nor in any other manner than authorized herein.  Neither the license nor the right granted thereunder shall be assigned or otherwise transferred in violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.  See 47 U.S.C. Section 310(d).  This license is subject in terms to the right of use or control conferred by Section 706 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.  See 47 U.S.C. Section 606.

Nothing about carrying the license with you.  Do newer licenses have different wording?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »

KG6AF:

Without a copy of your license on your person, how do you prove you are licensed when operating away from your home station - mobile, for example?

Why do you suppose the FCC gives you a wallet-size copy of your license if not to put in your wallet and carry with you?

Some things would seem, at least to me, to be self-evident.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »

Without a copy of your license on your person, how do you prove you are licensed when operating away from your home station - mobile, for example?

I'm not sure to whom I'd have to prove this, but in any event, it's easy.  I'd take out my smartphone and go to http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp, type in my call, and display the FCC record of my license.  Then I'd take out my driver's license and show my photo, as well as a name and address that match what appears in the FCC record.

Why do you suppose the FCC gives you a wallet-size copy of your license if not to put in your wallet and carry with you?

Of course that's why they do it.  But wallet-sized licenses do not establish a legal requirement to carry them, any more than the fact that the FCC provides you with a larger license requires you to display that license in your shack. 

WY3X claimed that there's a legal requirement to have a copy of your license in your possession when you operate.  I asked whether someone could point me to the reg that calls this out.  It either exists or it doesn't, and I'm genuinely interested to know the answer.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »

There was a time when the FCC regs required you to carry a copy of your license. They also required you to sign "portable" with your operating call area any time you were outside your home area. They also required you to notify the FCC if you operated portable in an area for an extended period of time. They also required you to keep a log book documenting the times you were on the air, your location, the stations worked, etc.

All of that has gone by the wayside and is no longer required.
KJ1H

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

Nothing about carrying the license with you.  Do newer licenses have different wording?

No. My new license printed 04-05-2011 has the exact same wording on the back.

It is legal for a brand new licensee to begin operating as soon as the FCC assigns a callsign.  They may operate for several days before their printed license arrives in the mail.  Therefore, I do not believe you are legally obligated to have your license on you when operating.

Personally, I do.  I figure the FCC gives me a wallet size version for a reason, so that's where it goes.  The only times I have ever been required to show someone my license was at VE sessions when testing for upgrades, and then only as proof of my current license class.  I suppose a police officer would be within their rights to ask to see my license if they observe me transmitting on an amateur frequency, and I would show them, but this has never happened to me - even the time I was asked if I was a ham during a routine traffic stop (I had a callsign plate).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:39:26 PM by KA1ULT » Logged

73 - Justin
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »

The local police do not generally have that authority! The license is more like a club to help convince them to cease and desist harrassment. As it is now produced and delivered an Amateur License is not a secure document and it carries no weight; rather the entry in the FCC database does.

KF7CG
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »

I suppose a police officer would be within their rights to ask to see my license if they observe me transmitting on an amateur frequency, and I would show them, but this has never happened to me - even the time I was asked if I was a ham during a routine traffic stop (I had a callsign plate).
I was told this is not true.  Even if you were operating on an illegal frequency, most police could not ask for your license.  If you were interfeering with them, then they could grab you for interfeering with the performance of their duty (which, I'm told, is the justification in cases in NY, even if you are on amateur frequencies) but that's tougher to prove.

But, I'm not a lawyer, and I have no 'first hand' knowledge, so this may be wrong and your mileage may vary...
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 05:33:02 AM »

The only requirement that I know where an operator has to have a license in their possession is a commercial radiotelegraph operator or MP holder while operating a ship's radio (actually the license is supposed to posted, although having your license on your person is acceptable if you operate on more than one vessel).

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: